Soldier combat roles.

Hello again =P Thought i'd drop by and ask.. I saw some people offhandedly discuss assigning soldiers combat roles, which I assume is referring to how your starting squad has assault troopers, a heavy, a sniper and so on.. Seems later on every recruit comes out as a rifleman though. How do I change that, if there is a way?

ED: On a sidenote, I was choosing from the pre-set soldier list and typed in 18 for lil' Thothkins.. And got a pop-up saying that humanity was exterminated.. Thooooth..

Edited by Daliena

The soldier roles can be changed, and indeed should be changed around. In the soldier equipping screen, you can click on the role picture (the big red box with the black symbol on it) and you can change what role is assigned to the soldier, you can equip the soldier with that role's default loadout, and you can set the default loadout for the role your soldier is assigned as whatever your soldier currently has equipped.

On a side note, it would be nice if it was possible to simply rename your guy's current class for specifically them, and allow them to keep their current loadout.

I rarely tend to give all my guys the same loadout, so I never bother to go through the process of assigning them a class, which results in pretty much all my guys being defined as Riflemen.

You can make new roles. When you click on the role icon in the soldier equip screen, select "Assign Different Role" (or whatever it is). After once you see the grid with all the different role icons on it, select a blank one. You will have the option of what symbol to use for it and what the role will be called.

This will assign your soldier with a new role.

To assign a default loadout to that role (by default upon creation it is empty) you simply assign a soldier to the role, give that soldier the desired default loadout, and click on the role icon again. Select "Change Default Loadout." This will make that role's default loadout whatever your soldier had equipped.

You can change the default loadouts of all of the roles in this way.

I generally enjoy modifying loadouts as technology and situations arise. A Save current loadout as, and more available callsigns would be neat. A somewhat pie in the sky feature would be conditional replacement in event of not enough supply of X. E.G. Not enough laser pistols: load out specifies standard ballistic pistol be issued instead. Put the option and burden on the users there.

The combat roles information needs to be made aware to the player better. It took me a week to figure out how to even assign a class, and a further 2 days to figure out how to customise them. A simple pop-up stating we can change the roles, and a quick example of how to do so and the average player can figure it out pretty easily.