Modern Urban crashsite maps --- the one map type this game needs very badly

Lightzy

instead of a zillion farms everywhere across the USA etc.

Also it's a much more exciting map type than any currently in the game. close range combat, lots of buildings, tight roads and alleys...

something a bit more tight than the current terror mission maps, for sure. they are still way too open.

and with ufos crashed in them :)

(I think I figured out what's annoying me in pretty much all xeno maps. too much nothing. a few very crowded modern urban maps would probably be the most fun maps in the game at this point. EA XCOM style))

Edited by Lightzy

IMHO, this would not be practicable in the 2D game engine as is. It's hard enough to spot an alien "behind" a wall in this engine even without the map consisting of nothing but walls and narrow streets as such an urban map would be. I think this would decrease the fun while playing these maps significantly unless the DEVs are doing something about the opacity of the walls in such a case.

Would be a great place to use Heavy weapon guys as demolition troops though ^^

IMHO, this would not be practicable in the 2D game engine as is. It's hard enough to spot an alien "behind" a wall in this engine even without the map consisting of nothing but walls and narrow streets as such an urban map would be. I think this would decrease the fun while playing these maps significantly unless the DEVs are doing something about the opacity of the walls in such a case.

Would be a great place to use Heavy weapon guys as demolition troops though ^^

Seems to me you didnt have a fight in a base defense mission. Now thats DENSITY. And its fully playable. The difficulty in spotting aliens in walls etc. is something can be polished, there was a feature in were you cliked the alien contact icon and camera centered on the alien and painted it red for some seconds so you could spot him instantly. It seems to be broken in this update though.

Well, You're right about the base defense (though I'm really looking forward to see my "antfarm" in Battlescape ^^), but this is an issue which already haunts me in industrial tileset missions.

Since i started playing xenonauts with the actual build (on steam ^^), I didn't know about the "highlighting" when clicking on the "Alien contact" symbol. I saw the camera center on the alien's location, but it doesn't paint the enemy in any way (acceptable on day missions, very annoying on night missions ^^).

Maybe I just need to get the hang of it, I'll keep my mouth shut about this issue unless I'm not a base defense virgin anymore and the next build is rolled out, so that aliens might get highlighted properly.

Thanks for providing your answer by the way.

I believe Chris once said that he wanted every tileset to have a "spirit". If I remember well, he wanted industrial tileset to be more close-combat oriented, and desert tileset to be more open-field oriented.

I guess the community map pack could (and should) propose this kind of alternative, if the game does not.

The number of maps being developed should hopefully result in a good balance that pleases nearly everyone.

But in the meantime, if you had a choice to add a spirit into every map would you prefer:-

1) An alien soul sucking weapon, that is then used to fire terrifying wraith attackers

2) a small animated tv set in one of the buildings a la Poltergeist.

3) A pub in every terror site.

• 4 months later...