A comprehensive guide for newcomers?

Hello everyone!

I've bought Xenonauts a few days ago, after seeing it on the early access on steam, though I had already heard that this "faithful remake" of xcom was in the works. I'm really having a blast so far, and despite the fact that the game just got into beta, it's already an enjoyable experience for me.

I was, however, baffled at not finding any form of tutorial/guide/manual to the various game mechanics, or just in general how the game works. Is it because most of the game works just as it did in the original game? I've never actually gotten around to playing the original x-com (please don't lynch me :eek: ), so maybe anyone that played the original will find no need for any explanations; and I've played enough strategic/tactical games to figure out most things through testing or common sense...but I believe it would be very helpful to have a community-made manual for all the people that got to know this game through steam and maybe have never played a turn-based game in their life. :)

Or maybe I'm just blind and there's a manual that I haven't found ^^

Well I can tell you that radar is extremely important. More detections means more interceptions which means more cash and experience, and slower invasion speed. 4 radar is the max you want to build per base (take note of your "detection chance per min" score). Personally I get a 2nd radar started off on day1, with a third at the start of the second month.

If you want to get a better airforce currently you need to get started with a manufacturing base with at least 3 workshops full of engineers (lots of living quarters) to build the later interceptors which take RIDICULOUS time to build.

But luckily currently u can get by with lots of the cheap starting interceptors just as well, if you get good missiles fast enough.

Research alenium as soon as you can, and alenium explosives, and plasma explosives too. Those two are the most important things u research

Use rockets only when necessary because most of your funding comes from alien artifacts which get destroyed by rocket fire.

rockets were once way overpowered and this is a pretty genius way of balancing them

Well, I guess that if things are indeed changing quickly, it might not very efficient to write down a guide.

But still, I happen to have a lot of questions :D If you could quickly answer a few of them it would be a great help.

*How does research work? Does every technology have a set amount of required "scientist hours", or are there diminishing returns to assigning all your scientists to a single project, like in manufacturing? And what does the progress bar readout mean? I've seen that the more scientists you assign, the better the readout becomes, but also appeared to shift mid-research.

*Can a storeroom effectively store an infinite amount of stuff? And are there any advantages to building more than one medical center, or they don't stack?

*Is there a list of all the TU costs? Most of them are obvious, but I'd kind of like to know how much it will me cost me to reload a specific weapon from the belt, or from the backpack, or to drop/pick up a specific item, and so on.

*How does suppression work? I've seen that it makes you lost half of your TUs, but does it have other effects? And how is it triggered exactly?

*And what about overwatch? Is there a way to manually enable/disable it, or any soldier with spare TUs will always fire at the first enemy it sees? What if there are friendlies in the way?

*Soldier stats: TUs, resilience and accuracy are obvious, but I haven't got a clue at what reflexes does. Strength increases carrying capacity, but does it also increase throwing range? Bravery supposedly ties in with the morale system, but I have yet to see a soldier lose any morale at all. Is it not yet implemented?

*This isn't really a question, but I've noticed that once I have access to stun grenades, every other weapon becomes nearly obsolete. They have nearly infinite range, a huge area of effect, and make the aliens unconscious, which even raises the mission score more than killing them. Currently, 8 men with their inventory full of stun grenades (and a firearm or two for the eventual drones) can clear pretty much every map without breaking a sweat. I guess this is just one of the balance issues that will eventually be sorted out?

I wrote a lovely, engaging post. Then my computer ate it. So sadly, you get the cliff notes version.

1) Yes, diminshing returns. The amount of time to completion is deliberately kept vague (hence "poor" to "excellent) progress

2) Yes. No, they don't stack.

3) Yes, in config.xml in the /assets/ directory.

4) Two effects. 1 - a suppressed unit cannot reaction fire. 2 - a suppressed unit is supposed to lose half APs next turn. A proposed effect is 3 - suppressed units have a smaller FoV (or none at all)

5) Use the slider. No, a solider will always fire at the first alien it sees and successfully passes a reaction fire dice roll. However, soliders fire in turn, and will never fire at an alien who is dead/stunned.

6) Reflexes governs reaction fire. You improve it by passing successful reaction fire rolls. Strength is only important for capacity. It is implemented. Try shooting your own people!

7) Yes, it is a balance issue.

1) research time can be reduced by using more scientists but I believe each new scientist has diminishing returns. However, it is usually more efficient to run 1 research project at a time.

2) Storerooms are infinite.. Med cant say in current build.

3) Will check the files, i am sure it is somewhere

4) Some weapons have ability to suppress. It happens if you shoot near to the target / surrounding targets. You do not have to hit and can suppress multiple targets. It halves Tu on the next turn.

5) Overwatch happens automatically if they have saved the TU's for a shot- roughly 21 for a rifle. Shot choice depends on how many TU saved.

6) I will let a boff tell you about these :)

7) stun grenades like all grenades are going to get an overhaul. they should not have such a long range