Ground Combat UI improvements

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if the personnel screen could be higher, as it is now the real-estate on screen is tiny, plus there is tons of room above (at least at 1900x1200) and it's a pain scrolling down when you have more then 8 soldiers.

Also would it be possible to pin a default sort order? Each time when I go back I have to click on sort by TU, to organise my charlie squad.

Maybe i m the only one but dont you find that the new Reseach UI is a bit weird? I like it but one point bothers me a lot. THe space where the current research are listed (where you can allocate the scientist) is so damn small at the bottom of the screen.

It is really too small in my point of view. It contains the main information of the research tab and it occupy what 15% of the screen.

I think it would be better to increase its size by a fair margin. Or maybe do like in the main menu where the folder just comes upward and let you see almost the whole of it instead of having just the upper top of the folder on the screen.

When i am home i ll try to post a picture to be more clear.

EDIT: oops just saw i posted this on the wrong thread

Edited by Saskali

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing on a low resolution when testing things out so I can easily refer back to the xml files, and there's an annoying thing you don't get so much with fullscreen: it can be hard to tell if your shot will cause friendly fire if the target's far away. Some way of locking onto a target, so I can scroll back and see what the line of fire's like along the way, would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

While mucking about with night time settings, I really liked the way vision dims at the edge of LoS (assuming no light source). Not only does it look atmospheric as all hell, but it neatly demonstrates a unit's line of sight. Is there any way this visual effect could be incorporated into daytime combat, too?

Yeah, I hope GH has time in the polish phase to do something about the FOW visuals.

Also, in night time missions, light radius emitting from xenonauts should be much smaller or removed altogether. Only light should come from light sources (vehicles, chinook, flares, fire, explosions, lamps etc).

Yeah, I hope GH has time in the polish phase to do something about the FOW visuals.

Also, in night time missions, light radius emitting from xenonauts should be much smaller or removed altogether. Only light should come from light sources (vehicles, chinook, flares, fire, explosions, lamps etc).

But I think the light is only there to indicate how far the Xenonauts can see. It's not really a "light source".

It's a bit unclear but when there are other light sources in the level, you can see the xenonauts have both light gradient and field of view. The effect would imo be more effective and make visually "more sense" without light emitting soldiers. I might be wrong though. Need to give it a thoughtful look tomorrow.

Edited by Skitso

Is it possible to make items on the ground (specially dropped ammo) a little more visible? I usually take extra rockets and ammo on terror missions and leave them somewhere as a depot, but it's nearly impossible to tell where I left them if I forget the exact tile.

A key that highlights items on the ground, and draws them above anything else around would be nice. I'm thinking along the lines of the bright red alien effect when you click on an "enemy spotted" icon.

Killed units should also drop their stuff in adjacent tiles rather than under the body. Would look nicer and make locating stuff easier.

I would only want this if you could pick up items in the same range they dropped.

I don't want to have to walk round half a dozen squares collecting grenades like a very scary easter egg hunt :P

If you check the Hidden Movement artwork, the soldiers have tactical lights attached to their weapons, so it actually makes sense for them to be a light source.

Off-topic, I guess, but it would be cool if soldiers had a 'cone' light source rather than their present circle.

I would only want this if you could pick up items in the same range they dropped.

I don't want to have to walk round half a dozen squares collecting grenades like a very scary easter egg hunt :P

Would it make sense that GC inventory screen's ground inventory would show all items in adjacent tiles too? Hmmm... it could fill up pretty fast, is the ground inventory scrollable BTW?

If adjacent tiles were shown it would make passing equipment between soldiers easier as well.

Just drop it to the ground and the guy next to you picks it up without needing to physically swap positions.

It would cost time units but then so would handing things across using another interface method.

I don't know if it scrolls and off the top of my head can't even remember how large it is to work out how many items it could display.

Might cause some problems if it got too full.

I'm finding it difficult to see if it's been mentioned for stable V21 (tried searching), but I see there's still an issue with vision at night, where aliens will be spotted on the sidebar but not appear visible on any tile, because the light is too low.