Feature Request: Idiot control - Civilians & Local Forces

This is something that can bother me a little bit and I know anyone who plays xenonauts or watches cheesy horror flicks feels the same way.

The number of times a civilian has done something stupid and left me yelling "You idiot! Why did you run out of the barn!!" has caused me to think about smartening up the civilians.

This post is on the basis that keeping civilian alive actually has an impact on your game, as I haven't found much of a reason for the score yet.

Instead of coding in fancy AI or having battle trained farm hands. I think it would be better fitting into the skills & training features that are under construction.

Perk: Expert Marshal

A great perk for this training would be that MP trained soldiers who come into contact would be able to add the vision of the civilian or local troop to the squad sight.

So I wouldn't mind seeing soldiers being able to be trained to control civilians to a certain extent

Training - Military Police

An MP would be able to effectively give orders to civilians and local forces.

The ideal mechanic

An MP trained soldier would be able to directly que up movement orders for civilians (possibly local forces) when they are close enough.

MPs would also be able to issue simplistic behaviours to civilians and local forces. Things such as 'get to the chopper' or 'stay down' would be an example. These could continue after the MP effectively 'loses control' of the civilian.

It would mean that an MP can effectively run up to a civilian that is dancing in the street during a terror mission, get them into a building, then get them to stay there while the MP continues the fight.

Edited by Grazgul
Expanding on idea

Ah...civilians...a much talked about topic...

There has been numerous discussion on how to deal with them since way back in ALPHA by the community. Some have suggested the same thing you have. In all honesty, I don't remember what is going to happen to them, though at best I think that they'll just have an AI trained to just run away from the blasted Xenos...

Course...they're still living up to their annoying OG roots...

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/4623-Civilians-still-annoying?highlight=Civilians

Which kinda spawned this thing...

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2059-Buddhist-Civilians?highlight=Civilians

Their AI needs another look-over. They're meant to run away from aliens (and Xenonauts to a lesser extent) but its not working so well. Its almost as if they are reserving time units.
Agree. They ought to run to the nearest available cover and hunker down unless something nasty get close. Of course, armed civilians are a different subject. I really get a kick out of the farmers with shotguns.

Civilians are idiots. They are supposed to be panicking, yes, but a panicking person that's hunkered down in a safe position will not suddenly run towards the threat. I'd make civilian AI mostly run away from the closest alien, and perhaps run towards the Chinook if a civvie sees it.

Civilians are idiots. They are supposed to be panicking, yes, but a panicking person that's hunkered down in a safe position will not suddenly run towards the threat. I'd make civilian AI mostly run away from the closest alien, and perhaps run towards the Chinook if a civvie sees it.

If cheesy horror flicks have taught me anything, it's that people will always run into the field of fire!!

Ma! Fetch ma shot gun! Them darned Aliens are in the corn field AGAIN!

I too have a soft spot for the shotgun wielding bogan. In particular it would be great to be able to have a MP 'team up' with the civi and you'd be able to issue orders to them.

I wanted to come over to the keyboard and type a witty reply, but I seem to have sprained my ankle in a very unlikely way on the way here... you guys go on without me. Guys? Guys? Hey! Don't leave me !
I thought you were still recovering from your self-inflicted grenade wounds??

I used to be a regular forum contributor...until I took an arrow to the knee.

I thought you were still recovering from your self-inflicted grenade wounds??

It was not self inflicted. I'd just like to say that juggling isn't as easy as it looks. Just ask Stumpy here, the Chainsaw juggler.

Stumpy: Chainsaw juggling was my life, until I took an arrow...