Allies

okibum

I was reading about Geo Allies in an earlier thread, and started thinking about civilian allies during the battles. For example, when doing a terror mission, having a few brave, AI controlled civilians attacking the aliens with dropped weapons. Maybe even having the civilians taking potshots at you due to combat inexperience and nervousness, and wondering if the gunshot you heard was from an alien or a "civvy".

yeah dropped weapon means a xenonaut had to die (the alien weapons are increadibly hard to use by humans), and I'm not sure I'd be happy with my extra score bonus running at aliens only to be killed, therefore eliminating any chance of getting that bonus. And that's if I see it happen, it may well happen well before I get near them, in which case I wouldn't even realise that there was extra effort in the civilian AI...

Hmm would be nice to have some sort of assult on an alien base before entering it (instead of just flying directly into it and depositing your men like you did in X-com)

Perhaps the local army could lay seige to the base and you show up as a special ops team breaking into the base during the seige. then you could have infinite spawns becasue you would have infniite spawns on a frienly side as well. (destructible wall mounted base cannons(hostile) and destructable artillery (friendly), and destructable spawn points on enemy side.

Although im not sure what this would do for the non player movement/fireing phase when i think about it =S.

Due to coding stuff I imagine, and civilians rarely fight back during a raid (which the alien attacks usually are). Shock factor.

Although, having the number of armed civilians increase slightly as the game progresses would be a nice though. War mentality and whatnot.

Nice link JL :D

If maintaining secrecy is an issue in this game like in X-Com they always could say the gang was drugged up or that the aliens were terrorists in disguise. X-Com didn't have the MIB to do their mind blank thing or the drugs my avatar's TV show had to wipe the last 12 hours from people's memories.

One of the X-com fanfics had a scene like this (terror strike in downtown LA). They killed a bunch of sectoids, then the cyberdisks arrived and the rest died.

Turns out pistols and light SMG's are really ineffective against alien hovertanks.

This whole allies thing makes me think of a old friend of mine (haven't seen him the past 2 years) who would side with the aliens in an instant

half the things he rambles is just so funny.

"And when the almighty race will come we shall side with them and show them our faith." is one of the things I remember. He would also ramble on about non-believes being enslaved or 'cleansed'.

Baisicly everyone sees them as a brainwashing cult that isolate ppl from their friends and family and wont let them leave. I'v even heard stories about tortureing members that were trying to leave. dunno how true that is. But Scientology = bad.

They have a lot of crazy idea and the founder Ron Hubbard or something started out as a Scifi writer... There is something in there about aliens or Xanu. Never quite got a grip on what part Xanu was playing in the religion.

didn't he throw aliens into a volcano on earth?

I think like all religions it can be a good one, it just depends on how extreme you take it. Ultimately it is about making you a better person inside, it's just how it goes about this that makes it so bad (alienating family members, only able to do certain things (like not use internet) have to pay large amounts of money to get 'cleansed' etc.)

also didn't ron hubbard say "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion."

I am fairly certain there's nothing good about the "Church" of Scientology. It's basically a pyramid scheme but with a faux-religious twist and religion based kind of indoctrination.

Another reason I don't like them is because of things like this:

SeaOrg3.jpg

so.jpg

sea_org.jpg

Know what I mean?