Throwing needs to be improved

The current implementation for throwing is unsatisfactory.

The main issue I think right now is that the trajectory path is too unpredictable. I haven't done any actual testing, but based on two recent mission where I would attempt to throw flares, grenades, or smoke over cover and the thrown object would simply bounce off the cover and land at my throwers feet. Or worse, the thrown object would bounce off another soldier and land in the middle of my formation.

I believe that there are two possible solutions:

1) Change the probabilities of a thrown object hitting something in flight. It appears that the lower the chance to hit, the higher the likelihood that an object in path will be hit. That might be just player math at work, but it does appear that way. Perhaps change the math so that the chance to hit the object is the chance to miss. (ie, if you have 93% chance to hit the hale bay one square away, if you are throwing 20 squares away there is only a 7% chance to hit the bale of hay)

Or

Use a scatter table.

First, roll to hit. On a miss, roll against the table for the result. Hitting an interfering object should be modified by the throwing skill of the thrower. Results would be distance and direction, hitting but causing no damage/effect (ie failed item) hitting an object and bouncing in a direction/distane proportional to angle of incidence, and a critical failure like a drop.

2) Improve the UI. I'd suggest either showing the chance to hit an object that is in the path of the thrown item or a grid overlay showing the potential landing areas of the thrown item. Green colored grids for high likely hood landings, yellow for low likelihood landings, and red for blocked throws possibilities.

The thrown objects bouncing off cover is a known issue that will be fixed. Currently, thrown objects are using the same LOF logic as direct fire weapons from what I can tell. I believe intention is to allow you to toss stuff out of half or full cover if the cover is one story high (or less) and there is no roof. I'm not sure how they plan to handle intervening objects once the thrown object has cleared the first piece of cover. I imagine that there would be a chance for it to hit those and stop if the object is full height or more.

I think also that low cover like rocks, fences, benches should not interfere with the throw.

Standing 1 point away from the fence can result in thrower actually hitting that fence which is silly.

Same would go for damaged hedges which are low covers.

Only somewhat related, they probably need a max range on grenades as well. Right now I just spam flares all the way across the map. It's inaccurate as hell, but once I throw enough of them....

I would also enjoy night missions more if they flare throwing required fewer TUs. I like the lighting as it is now, but the flare throwing just turns it into a grind, and actually makes it far less "scary" since you tend to creep forward to slowly.

Only somewhat related, they probably need a max range on grenades as well. Right now I just spam flares all the way across the map. It's inaccurate as hell, but once I throw enough of them....

I would also enjoy night missions more if they flare throwing required fewer TUs. I like the lighting as it is now, but the flare throwing just turns it into a grind, and actually makes it far less "scary" since you tend to creep forward to slowly.

Agree on both. Should have a TU cost that allows a decent soldier to throw 2.

Mod? Flare rocket?
Yeah, I think that will go into my weapons mod. I'm just waiting for the game to stop changing so I only have to do it once. BTW, you will get a "real" M60, VP70, Mossberg shotgun, grenade launcher, MP5, and WP grenades and rockets, if it works out.

You could always mod incendiary rockets back in. Fire chance of, say, 60% and low damage.

They would be pretty lethal though, due to how fire works.

Also trying out flare throw cost of 25. Need a skilled trooper to throw more than one with the quickslot, but now most soldiers can fire as well.

You could always mod incendiary rockets back in. Fire chance of, say, 60% and low damage.

They would be pretty lethal though, due to how fire works.

Also trying out flare throw cost of 25. Need a skilled trooper to throw more than one with the quickslot, but now most soldiers can fire as well.

My plan is a WP rocket and WP grenade. Lots of smoke and enough fire to do some damage.