Is the Timeline confused?

Obviously just arrived, but I'm a bit confused by the dates. Crimson Dagger refers to 1958. The in-game story about first contact in Iceland is dated 1959. The date in the main interface is 1979. And the weapons and aircraft are late 1970's (F16 1978) and the early 1980's (M9 9mm pistol 1983).

Unless I'm missing something, this needs to be tighten up for ppl like me who find it a confusing distraction. Perhaps a minor tweak, but worth doing.

Crimson Dagger outlines the first encounter with the aliens and the subsequent creation of the black ops Xenonauts.

Xenonauts proper takes place in 1979.

Any mistakes with the continuity of the story was made since Chris had to type all the back story up pretty quickly, though I'm sure he'll appreciate you catching it.

As for the M9 pistol developed 4 years early...alternate timeline? :)

The Iceland Incident is surpassed by Crimson Dagger as far as canon goes, I'd expect. Also, the M9 is the US military's designation for the Beretta 92F (later, when it came out, the 92FS). The Beretta 92, the original design that the 92F(S) is a variant of, was designed in 1975, and it looks almost exactly the same as the M9.

I don't know of any other anachronisms. Well, there's a G36 in the armory photo, but that will be replaced with the new UI so it'll be resolved on it's own. ;)

(Edited for clarification and details.)

Edited by GizmoGomez

As for the M9 pistol developed 4 years early...alternate timeline?

I like that. I do tend to be a bit too literal.

The Iceland Incident is surpassed by Crimson Dagger as far as canon goes, I'd expect

OK, makes sense and the Iceland Incident story in the game can be fixed by changing 1959 to whatever works better.

Also, the M9 is the US militaries designation of that pistol. The Beretta 92 was designed in 1975, which looks basically the same with some small differences.

You are, of course, correct. I think the major visual difference is the shape of the trigger guard. Was the Beretta 92 a commonly issued NATO weapon? Although I actually have one, I don't know who carried it prior to Beretta winning the US contract in 1980/84, with issue date being 1985, I think. Prior to the US contract, I 'think' the only user of the Beretta 92 was the Italians.

I know I'm being picky, but at this stage I'd think it really easy to smooth such little things out.

Off to go read Crimson Dagger. :)

Edited by akmatov

Eh, the Xenonauts don't have to use NATO weapons only. They just choose to, for the most part. If they want some "obscure" italian firearm as their sidearm of choice, then they can do whatever they want.

Also, Crimson Dagger is beast, to use the vernacular.