How do I change squad order?

What I want to do is change the order of the soldiers in the squad, so 1 = squad leader, 3 = sniper, 5 = machine gunner. Or if I have a very inexperienced troop, I want them to be #8. That way I can use the number keys without checking each time to see who has what weapon every mission.

Oh alright. I'm not sure if it's possible though.

Maybe you can assign soldiers to the dropship in a certain order so they get the number you want or maybe you can just assign them and then give them weapons appropriate to the number they have.

Don't know if the game supports control groups via ctrl + "number" but it might be worth checking.

If it doesn't support ctrl + #, it definitely should. It is intuitive, and it's a good idea.

Perhaps not in ground combat, though.

Maybe not ctrl + # then, just some way to order your troops in the dropship screen or something.

Chris? (If you read this) What's your opinion on this?

I would point out that most professional militaries would do it a certain way. For example, your point man would not be your most valuable troop and your machine gunner would tend to be to the rear to be called up when needed. In the middle of a firefight no one, certainly not me, want to be pushing buttons mumbling "Sniper, where is my sniper located today in the random deployment?" Knowing that button 1 is my point/recon sacrifice and that button 8 is my heavy weapons guy from mission to mission would be both helpful and realistic (the real guys do it for a reason).

First, having played out five ground actions I am more sure that I want to be able to assign #s to my troop than before. As it is it is a bit of a mess. As the squad changes from mission to mission, the program assigns the order so there is no control over where the different weapon systems are from mission to mission.

Second, I did try both CTL + # and got nowhere, though I'm not sure I had any idea how this might be used. I also tried via the load order on the Dropship, but at that point each troop already has a personal number assigned and all you can do is adjust the load order in the Dropship.

Please tweak this Developer Gods!

Edited by Sathra
spelling error or profanity, I dunno.

I also tried via the load order on the Dropship, but at that point each troop already has a personal number assigned and all you can do is adjust the load order in the Dropship.

Bear in mind that number has no relation to the number they will be given in ground combat.

What does seem to determine the ground number is the order they are added to the dropship, which is how they are shown left to right in the dropship screen.

My number 2 Assault got injured, and I added in a new guy who was given number 2 in dropship screen as it the lowest available number, but really he is number 6 on the ground.

To fix it I can unassign and reassign people to charlie-1, though it is laborious to do every time someone gets injured.

Thx Operations - I'm not sure I understand, but I'm going to poke at it and see what I can come up with. I like to assign teams of two to four troops with specific weapons as units and like to just use the keypad number keys to cycle through them. Until I can set up the order it is a mess. Off to experiment with what you wrote.

I took a picture to better explain what I mean.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=150811764

You see my new number 2 gets added to the right hand side of the soldier list, the numbers in red are how they will actually appear on the ground combat UI.

If I want him to be number 2 on the ground, then I need to unassign 3,4,5,6 so number 2 will move down to the second spot.

Afterwards I can reassign the other soldiers in the order I want them.

• Thanks 1