Leaving some room for future expansions idea.

This idea found its origin in the way I used to play the original UFO: Enemy unknown. Playing that game the UFO force became a bit too overwhelming to cover all the crash and landing sites with ground recovery teams so I changed tactics. I built tracking on coastlines so I'd get early warning on UFO's coming in. At that point I only intercepted the UFO's that had value to over land while I shot down the others over the ocean. I was thriled when UFO: Enemy from the deep came out as it now turned out that all those UFO's that I had been shooting down over the oceans had an effect. (or at least in my fantasy it had.)

Which brings me to my idea.

Keep a small file that stores upto 20 or so UFO ocean crash locations, or a small file that keeps track of where over the oceans most UFO's are being shot down. Should there ever be an expansion that would include facilities and equipment to go after UFO's on the ocean floor the hotspots for UFO ocean crashes could be the locations of alien ocean floor bases. Trivial idea for the current gameplay but it should not be alot of effort to keep track of this in order to add some immersion to a future expansion. This would work best if the ocean facility expansion would come as an add-on to the original game instead of as a new stand alone version.

Interesting idea. We're not planning to do a TFTD expansion pack though...I think it'd be getting a bit too meta at that point!
I hope you're planning on taking a LONG holiday after Xenonauts is released and the first patch or two is out. Worry expanding after that! LOL.