Future Sci-Fi DLC/Addons

I'd like some official additions to this game that explore the scientific extremes.

Having just played this:

and since I'm basically fighting this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOZVp9NFhQE

I was like "man know what this retro 80s era xenoinvasion scene needs man? CYBORGS!!!!!!!!!!"

So here it is:

1. Allow players, to late game, discover alien technology for robotics.

2. Allow players to, late game, discover alien technology for artificial intelligence. And then allow players to research a branch of this called "memory feed bio-feedback experiment." which is described as "An experiment in recording human consciousness prior to death."

2a. Add Bionics research. Maybe after a special mission or captive alien!

3. Add building called "Morgue"

4. Allow players to store fallen comrades in this new building. (Maybe add misc ability to memorize the fallen in your own way for fun. or see detailed statistics of the fallen.)

5. Add ability for players to have a chance at turning their fallen heros into CYBORGS!!!!! (For huge amounts of money.... *cough* 6 million dollars perhaps *COUGH*

6. Cyborg Abilities to include: Night Vision, Enhance Strength, Speed, Immune to certain toxins (but not ALL). etc, maybe if you ever add ability to jump they can jump higher.

7. Cyborg Weaknesses include, being hacked by aliens during missions (OUCH!!!) Turning rogue and attacking your own team! Or being corrupted and unable to function for a number of turns, or losing time units. Being susceptible to chaff grenades or stuff used by aliens (EMP grenades? They ARE aliens!). Maybe add weird things like stepping on an electric wire or being too close to a generator might cause something by accident. Not sure.

Anyway, the original X-COM never had anything interesting with the corpses... and this was a real show at one time:

[video=youtube;JdM64zekOAk]

Well I've read quite a few threads so far, so please consider this devs! You're game can be even more awesome!!

If some people don't like this stuff maybe you could add an Mod Menu in the game options so people can just click and choose mods/DLC/Addons from a folder or something, I see some people want more realism so they may not dig this idea.

Officially, cybernetics won't be in the final game, though can't speak for mods/dlc/expansions. It doesn't quite fit with the theme, though it is cool I agree.

At the core, its about humanity in a time of crisis fighting against inhuman enemies. Add in transhumanist elements (psi, cybernetics, etc) and it starts adding stuff about whether being human is right, or enough to defend ourselves. Basically, we become what we are fighting.

Personally, I love the idea of transhumanism with these kinds of concerns.

Yeah, I mostly just thought about how in the Original X-COM you could put your fallen comrades in your backpack but could never really do anything cool with them. So it'd be amazing if post-release they explore these different ideas with DLC. I'm hoping we can get the DLC/Official Downloadable Mod packs.

here's a few thoughts I have regarding sci-fi DLC

1) bipedal mechs as vehicles in ground combat (yeah i'm ripping this off from the assets directory but if it isn't meant for final development anyway, why not make a mod / dlc for it)?

2) Exoskeletons for ground soldiers.

3) Nanotechnology - can come in many ways by wearing a special suit, contributing to attributes (*cough* crysis *cough*). Or as pills/medicine that soldiers can take in combat. Much like a medikit, with nanobots augmenting their abilities.

Or perhaps as a weapon like a dart gun that on impact injects its target (mechanical or organic) with nanites that wreck havoc on their target.

What about insanely expensive armor (late game armor that costs upwards of 300,000 per suit. and is very heavy but extremly durable and enhances certain abilities(maybe with something along the line of sheilds....)

goes off into a daydream..........

I remember thinking this would have been good for the original X-Com. The Ethereals had bionengineered some of the races, and performed large amounts of surgery on them, replacing parts with machines. Floaters could fly for example.

Likewise, I alwasy quite liked some of the vehicles in UFO:ET for the same purpose. Sort of like the thing in RObocop 2 with a brain inside the mech..

[video=youtube;kIAW2ZAfrWo]

I have been planning to make exoesqueletons & mechs based on the comic books Appleseed for some time. Its part of an idea of what a new xcom would need to be that I developed long before xenonauts, but many of the ideas can be applied here as a mod.

The idea is to make this wonders be 1 of the options for research for late game, were aliens come in army like numbers with huge firepower and you need a solution to regain battlefield domination. Researching cool mechs would be just one of the options. Other options could be researching better tanks/vehicles or going all for extreme infantery with exoesqueletons.

Adding long range sight (very long if posible) and new extra large maps for this big toys to move around would be just perfect.

Note: So far on what I have digged in the XML, this special sci-fi units can be implemented in the game and be functional. Seems plausible to have a 3 tiles wide mech that smashes its way trough houses and equips big weapons, and is not a tank but rather an armour you assign in the soldiers load out screen so you get far more flexibility than making it a vehicle. Also it allows to render some cool animations like actual walking.

It seems a reality and I will go all for it eventually.

Edited by lightgemini

Did you try adding it to the human armours anywhere?

Chris might be able to tell us if the size was actually added for human armour or if it was limited to vehicles as there were originally going to be larger armour types in the game I think.

naooo! pls tell me you can!! I want mechuu!!!!!!! NAAOOOOOO

Maybe this is something they can UNHARDCORE????

D:

Is there maybe a way to hook in a xml function that enters troops into movable vehicles? and stores them and later ejects them upon destruction with a 2%-10% chance of 0 hp?

I dunno man! xml is crazy stuff

BEHOLD XML IN ITS FINEST:

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php/forums/60/1/v1_13_Projects_Released_and_In.html

there have been a couple of threads on that previously, from the aliens point of view.

Select your invasion tactic of the day:-

Giant rock to obliterate a city

Hack into satellite network

Steal earth females/ males/ cattle depending on preference

Make annoying, and random little bleep bleep noises

Release the Reaper Horde!

Impersonate the residents of a small town.

Give Earth a dire warning, that if they don't change the Federation will obliterate the planet (take Andron)

Wait 5 seconds and obliterate planet, due to ongoing greed and stupidity of residents.