Hi. I'm about to purchase Xenonauts, but I had a question first. I read that was saying something like future sales will be done through HumbleBundle (or something like that), as well as Steam. Is the HumbleBundle version just a Steam version (so both would require Steam), is the the HumbleBundle version like other HumbleBundle versions, where you can just download it and play it directly on your computer without the need to log in?

I have a Steam account, and am fine with Steam, but if the HumbleBundle version is 'independent' (not needing Steam), I'd prefer to get it from them.

Also, is the HumbleBundle version only for the final, or will it be available for the 'early access' version?

I'm getting it, either way... I'd just prefer a non-Steam (or, specifically, a non-sign in) version if it's available. No biggie, but that would be the preferred version for me. Just checking before I get it.

This is what you read probably and it has all the answers as well:

FUTURE SALES:

We will be doing direct sales on our website through the Humble Store in future, as we'll get a much larger cut of revenue from them than our current arrangement with Desura.

You will still be able to buy our game on the Desura site if you so wish.

Both Desura and the Humble Store will continue to be updated as development continues, but only with the Stable releases (explained in more detail below).

All future purchases of the game from either our website's Humble Store or Desura should also come with a Steam key.

The Humble Store is DRM-free, and the DRM-free option will remain on Desura too.

Bolded the important bits. :) The only difference is that with Steam you can opt-in for the non-stable beta patches in between larger updates.

Edited by Jean-Luc

Hi, Jean-Luc. Ya, that's the explanation I read. Okay, ya, it does mention it's an early access. Cool.

So, the only thing I'm not clear on still, even with the re-reading, is whether the Humble Store version requires Steam. It mentions that it 'should also come with a Steam key', and also that it is DRM free. I guess part of the confusion with me is that often Steam is not considered DRM by some people, and since the Humble version comes with a Steam key, I'm confused whether it's a requirement or an option. Even Desura purchases in the past are getting Steam keys, adn again, I'm not sure if the customers are getting it as a preference or a necessity.

Sorry, it's all there in that paragraph, I'm sure, but I'm just not fully understanding the wording. A little braindead tonight, unfortunately!

Also, any idea when the Humble version will be available? This was the first I've read of it.

It's only certain gamers that consider Steam to be a non-DRM entity. No professional in the game industry who's trying to sell you his or her product is going to tell you that the game is DRM free yet requires Steam.

The Steam keys are optional and are there because many people ask for them but you don't have to use it. DRM free means DRM free. It's not like when you buy something from Gamersgate, GMG or Impulse where games often come with mandatory Steamworks.

Even cooler... Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Just wanted to be sure.

I hear that Chris and the gang benefit more from the Humble version (get more cash) as well, correct?

I guess I'll wait on the Humble version then, as that'll benefit both sides. Hopefully that's coming out soon, or we'll hear official news about it. I haven't heard anything so far, other than the post you outlined.

Just did the purchase using Paypal. Everything went smoothly, and I'm currently downloading the game.

I'll get back to you about whether the download goes fine (...I sometimes have trouble with downloading from Humble).