Questions before purchase?

Hi I am really interested in this game being a fan of x-com Eu and ufo extraterrestrials so I have some concerns.

1.Is there enough content in the game right now to enjoy it. Im all about random maps and different experience everytime.

2.Is the tech tree/Research tree a good size?

3.Can I customize my soldiers a lot?

4.How long would you say a run in this game lasts, I know its beta so might not be to long yet?

5.Is the game a challenge?

6.How much post launch support will it get?

7.How is base building/management?

Thanks to all who answer. I really want to get it but just concerned is all.

Hi I am really interested in this game being a fan of x-com Eu and ufo extraterrestrials so I have some concerns.

1.Is there enough content in the game right now to enjoy it. Im all about random maps and different experience everytime.

There's about 50 maps right now, so you'll see repetition but the number is growing (and moddable)
Bigger than the original games. Bigger than TFTD's too.
Names and the like are totally customizable. Can't customize any visuals though due to engine limitations.
4.How long would you say a run in this game lasts, I know its beta so might not be to long yet?

Can't really speak to this on since I haven't played any long runs yet (I've actually been waiting for the the beta release then Desura crapped out on me). Then it gets released on Steam and I pull a 60 hour workweek. :(

From what I've seen playing vicariously through youtube, the higher difficulties get damn hard.

Can't say for sure, but this game has been Chris' life for over 3 years now. I don't see him bailing on it as soon as it's released. Plus, it's highly moddable. :)

It's X-Com with a prettier UI and a snarky head scientist.

Ha, the head scientist is hilarious. He writes the research descriptions and some of the xenopedia articles, if not all. (I simply don't know)

Even though there's some repetition, it's mainly just the first few UFOs from what I hear. You get more variety as you get farther in the game. Plus, there are scores of new maps being made by the community, and they are looking pretty awesome. A good portion of them will be added to the actual game, provided they fit Goldhawk's guidelines and such. Also, the maps have a degree of randomization, with sections of the map being swapped out for comparable, but different, sections sometimes. While you may get the same map a couple times, I don't think it'll be too distracting. It isn't for me, at least. :)

Maps can get a bit repetitive at present but there are people working on map packs and more will be added as the game moves through beta.

Short answer is yes. However, it may not seem like that at the start as you have to work for your research. Unlike in, say, Civilization, where you can see all research until the end of time in Xenonauts you have to shoot stuff down, loot it from the crashed UFO and then you can research it. It's certainly more realistic but it can give the impression that the research tree is smaller than it actually is.

Names and loadouts yes. Images no. It's also worth mentioning that, depending on what you do with your soldiers, they can earn medals from combat. It's a really small thing but I personally adore it.

In terms of in-game time? The stated goal is that a successful run-through should take a year unless you deliberately drag it out. So far I haven't been able to complete the game so how long it takes in real-time I have no idea. The goal is for ~50 missions but in my experience it's been substantially more than that and the community response to ~50 missions was that it was a little on the light side. Each mission takes anywhere from 10-60 minutes and then you'll have down-time, air combat, managing your base and so on. I reckon that, roughly, it'll come to ~15 hours for one playthrough but that's pulled completely out of the air. If it was longer than that I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

Ever played Dwarf Fortress? It's like that. The game doesn't care whether you win or lose and, by god, the AI is out to win. It's handicapped in the tactical battles at present because it still needs to be fine-tuned but it's definitely getting there.

Highly moddable plus substantial time and effort on Chris' part is a good indication of long-term future support. However, none of us here are clairvoyant.

Good. It needs to be balanced in some areas and you kinda need to know a few things going in - Xenonauts is not a game where your first blind playthrough will go particularly well. For instance, one thing that caught me out my first couple of tries was that the base didn't come with a medlab so my wounded soldiers weren't healing. It's an easy fix once you spot it but it can, at times, require some forethought and past experience. Otherwise though I've found it particularly enjoyable and, like the original game, you can have multiple bases - which is awesome.

To my mind you really have two options; buy it now at the reduced price (it's going up to 25 post-release) or wait until after release and it's on sale. If you're interested in the game then buying it now makes the most sense. If you're on the fence and/or considering not getting it at all then waiting for a sale might be a better move. I purchased it back in... October/September I think? It was worth 20 dollars then and it's been getting steadily better since.

My own personal opinion:

It's worth $50. Or even more, I dunno.

(Of course, I don't care too much for money. Pity it's needed to survive haha)

I paid $30 for the premium preorder (to help support the game with the extra $10) and I have not been disappointed in the slightest. It just keeps getting better and better.