I just want to say that i love the new x-com EU. I have also played Ufo extraterrestrials gold with all the good mods, really enjoyed that to. I am on the fence about this though. See i dont know if enough content is in it for me to enjoy it. I herd there are not a lot of maps or tech to research yet. As well as being limited on what you can do with your troops.

I really just want to know if its worth it to purchase at this time?

We are developing a community map pack with version 1 currently available. HERE

All you do is install it in your xenonauts/assets folder and it adds 30 extra maps. Over the next month that will probably hit 40 with revisions of old ones. They currently bias 1 some tilesets over others but that will change. I am currently working on desert base buildings that can go into a range of military themed. These submaps are usually high quality and we are working to produce quality products that could end up in the game.

Buy all means buy it. I played the steam version yesterday and was blown away by the 'this is X-com' feeling I got. Was scary and exciting just like the original game.

I like the new Firaxis X-Com too, but I like 'Xenonauts' a lot more. It's a better PC game and not an (admittedly good) console port.

There's over 50 maps in the game already...it's not like there's only 3 or 4 or something! :(

It's just amazing how little 50 maps can seem if you're playing a game a lot, so we do need to add more.

The main issue with maps is the range of tilesets and ship sizes.

It is most definitely worth buying. I'm also a fan of UFO:ET and if you enjoyed that, you'll certainly get a kick out of this. There are plenty of maps with more being created all the time, and there's plenty of R&D (and I like my r&d) to keep you happy.