Plans for Newbies?

Hi all. Fist-time poster here.

I just purchased Xenonauts yesterday. It is a game that I have been keeping an eye on for about a year. I am very excited to hear that it is near completion and will be on Steam.

While I have the original X-Com, I never played it (I bought it about a year ago). I have played Firaxis' re-imagining of it, however.

I am looking forward to the increased depth of Xenonauts (I have watched a bunch of LPs of the original X-Com and they are fun to watch). However, since I am NOT an X-Com vet, I find that I will need some instruction on how to get started.

I started my first mission last night and I noted a few things; mostly concerning the UI. This post is not meant to be 'nitpicky', but instead just to point out what I have noted. I know that 'Beta is beta' and I am sure that many of the things I will bring up may be addressed in the final release (fingers crossed). I did check the FAQ on the forum, but I did not see anything that addressed my concerns.

1) The font is kinda small (I was playing on 1920x1080).

2)Mouseover tooltips were sparse or non-existent. For example, what does TU mean? I know it stands for 'Time Units', but new(er) players (I'm still a newbie) may not know that. What is a TU reserve? Why would I want to reserve them? Etc. Tooltips would help with that.

3)There did not seem to be any confirmation notification after initiating an action (like research of manufacturing items). An 'OK' button would instill greater confidence that orders have been acknowledged.

4)I did not notice a 'Help/Encyclopedia' section.

5)There was no tutorial mission. I find that some games (Hearts of Iron, for example) are so complex that even going through the tutorial still makes it hard to play, but people who love HOI know that and have probably prepared themselves for the fact there won't be any hand holding. That said, I think that accessibility will be much greater if there is a free demo and tutorial mission.

These are a few of my observations after about 30 mins of play (I wanted to play more, but I had to wait an inordinately long time to download the game from Desura, so I was tired by the time I was able to start playing).

All in all, I am excited and I can't wait for the final or for the community mods. I hope you guys do well enough to make an X2 in a couple years.

Thanks for reading.

Hmm, a tutorial, or a training mission, would be an interesting idea. It could be an optional thing you can checkbox at the start of a new game, or maybe it could be something you can play from the main menu. I think I'll put that in the features and requests section. It wouldn't be made until the game was nearing completion, I'd think, but it'd be good to put out there.

A lot of the UI issues should be addressed by the new UI that is being worked on at the moment.

Most of the base screens and the geoscape screen are being reworked to look nicer and improve functioning.

Once that is added to the builds it will need a good work up so we can pull it apart and tell Chris what he missed ;)

Tutorial missions have been suggested a few times and are something that would definitely be nice to have.

The current quick battle mode shows that it is possible to run a stand alone mission so it might be possible to get one running quite easily.

The UI screens will all eventually have a first-time pop-up that explains what they do when you first access them. It's not ideal, but it should get the job done.

Would it be possible to have a toggle for 'no pop-ups', 'pop-up once' and 'always on'? I usually have to play a tutorial two to three times before I get the hang of it, and seeing the pop-ups will help to cement the various systems of the game.

Thanks.

I agree that all items should have tool-tips, but a tutorial is almost always boring and its more fun to find out elements of the game gradually on your own and have multiple eureka moments. and there will be tonnes of youtube/letsplay's to enroll the masses i bet.

Whaa!! A tutorial for x-com? When I was a kid we were forced to play x-com for at least 4 hours a day. we even had a (Is there life after x-com) class at school. Tut;tut the kids these days.

I was a childhood X-COM delinquent; spent many days in the General Council Detention center :).

One problem: the game does lack guidance. It's not clear how to progress through the game. After you interrogate an alien officer, it's told you should get a leader (well, it doesn't appear on-screen, but the text in the files says so). But it doesn't say how to identify leaders or even where to find them, like it was explained for officers. Alien bases aren't mentioned either. I feel that someone who has not played the original would be at a loss for what to do.

I, too, think this game needs some kind of tutorial or more detailed manual. For example, i've got a few questions after playing just a couple missions.

*What are these events (crop circles, abductions, etc) appearing all around the globe? Can i react to these somehow, or these are just for "seasoning"?

*How do i capture a live alien? I don't see any stun devices in the inventory, and the flashbang seems to serve some other purpose.

*How do i change the default grenade in the grenade slot?

For the veterans these questions might seem a little bit stupid, but the new players less familiar with the genre might waste a lot of time trying to figure out all this. Sure, it's fun to find out something by yourself, but perhaps some basic things should be shown and explained.

No no, we all know how horrible Xenonauts treats its rookies...

1. The "Events" are pretty much just an indicator of alien activity. For instance, "strange tidal readings" happens off shore of a country and places an indicator of where it happened. This means that a UFO was/is in the area around the indicator and is capable of being engaged by your forces. The events also serve as a negative change in funding.

2. You must research stun weapons. I believe the research path is

Xeno Invasion > Xeno Bio > Stun weapons

This grants you access to stun batons, stun grenades, and stun rockets (not sure about this last one).

3. Right click the grenade to bring up other equipable throwables.

For now I'd suggest just an expansion of the four page 'manual'. For example, I had to ask here how to use the Medkits. Just a shortish list of hot to do things would be nice for now. And if things change, change the list. Easy and would require minimal maintenance, would also gradually develop into a to-do list for the eventual real manual.

Maybe more detailed tooltips for the buildings as well.

example: creating a laboratory give you x amount of scientist and cuts down on research by x amount of time.So it would be wise to create more labs if you want faster research times and so on with each type of building.

If you get my meaning on informative tooltips.Not like it will make game any easier to play it just helps the new player learn faster and get priorities on research and such.

Just a thought : )