Pilots with skill for interceptors?

I think it would ad much more dept to the game.

Like They could have skills in speed, afterburner speed/fuel consompsion, evade, targeting range, repair/refuel time, range etc...

Don't jugde my poor english. :)

And great game, loveing it.

Air combat is only meant to be a secondary mini game. The main focus of Xenonauts is the ground combat.

If Goldhawk were going to start adding pilot skills in (and ranks for them etc...), then it would become more of an all out incursion simulator, which is outside of the scope of this project.

Might be something to be expanded upon in a few years if Chris ever decides to do a sequel or a similar type of game.

Im finding myself coming back to the idea, actually. With planes becoming indestructible, it could add a bit of hurt when a fighter goes down. Maybe one skill that influences roll speed, missle lock speed and everything else. Not by a lot but by a noticable amount. After all, you can repair a fighter, but you cant repair a pile of bones and meat.

If the interceptor cannot be destroyed and always escapes to be repaired then it is unlikely the pilot was killed.

Aircraft tend to fly badly when the pilot is dead at the controls.

Trying to persuade Chris to add complexity to the system when he is looking at major simplification may be difficult ;)

I actually like the idea of having a pilot that can skill up. I mean, it's a whole new experience suddenly dogfighting with alien ships and you're bound to learn a lot that pilot academy did not teach you when it comes to fighting aliens in their advanced ships ;)

Yeah I agree. Having a pilot assigned to each plane and a skill level to go along with them would be kind of neat, and add to the punch of losing one.

I think the OP is overly complicated, it could just be a simple "Plane >> Pilot Callsign >> Skill >>" (Condor 1 >> Bob Pilot-Guy >> 40) that modestly effects the stats in air-combat (cool-down times, or slight changes to speed or damage). Since it's unlikely a pilot or a craft would survive independent of each other, pilots could just come pre-assigned to each plane purchased.

They would need to be separate from the aircraft in any pilot experience system or you would have to fire your ace pilot if you wanted to upgrade his aircraft to a newer one.

Oh. Yeah. Duh. That should've occurred to me.

Personally I still think a very basic pilot system would be a neat idea, though I can understand not implementing it.