[18.51 Ground Combat] Auto fire does not work during reaction fire

I haven't had a single instance where my LMGs or assault rifles fired a burst even though my troops have plenty of TUs for it. This is really frustrating when using he LMG as it is only capable of burst fire. Instead it doesn't fire at all or only fire a single round.

All weapons have different behavior with Reaction fire : some give a bonus, some a penalty. You can find the parameter in the weapons_gc.xml for each weapon : reactionModifier

Pistols gets +80% to Reaction chances,

Shotguns gets +40%,

Assault Rifles gets 0%,

Sniper Rifles gets -20%,

Rocket launchers gets -50%

It seems the Machine-gun gets 0%, but it is the only definition with "1" instead of "1.0", in case it does something funky (rather that the "heavy" type not allowing Reaction fire)

In case it is not something linked to Burst fire (not being used for Reaction), you could set it to "1.0" and test it out :)

I disagree : when you wait for something to happen so you can (re)act, you simply can do it sometimes : saving TUs for an enemy action is what this is about. The chances of it happening depend on your natural talent for it (soldier Reflex stat).

Then, weapons have different behavior depending of the type. It is the purpose of the reaction fire modifier. Pistols are easy to "Reaction Fire" with (+80%), Sniper Rifles are not (-20%), Rocket launcher are the worst (-50%).

Machine-guns should be able to be used that way also, it just need an adequate modifier for it (between Sniper Rifles & Rocket Launcher would be fine).

There's no reason you could not fire a Burst as reaction fire if you prepared for it.

Well i don't like the idea of stationing 3 machine gunners infront of a door just waitnig for something to show up only to be insta-gibbed by a barrage of bullets. That woud be too easy in my book.

The other reason is that RPGs & Machine Guns are capable of pretty nasty collateral "friendly" fire... and it woud be annoying to have to move around your RPG men just so they dont have TU left to blow your entire squad up with a "reaction" rocket. Unless we have a "disable reaction fire" button.

Ofc, if the percentage penalty is severe its basically the same as to not being able to reaction fire at all, except for some lucky (or unlucky?) cases.

I'd argue that machine guns should have one of the highest reaction modifiers. (assuming burst becomes an option during reaction fire, of course)

Since they don't have a single shot mode, you have to conserve huge amounts of TU in a turn for them to fire. A guy posted in a window with a machine gun should definitely be able to lock down the street in front of him. Aliens move into the street and get cut down by MG fire, it is atmospheric, balanced, and keeps in line with the area denial function of the machinegun.

I'd argue that machine guns should have one of the highest reaction modifiers. (assuming burst becomes an option during reaction fire, of course)

Since they don't have a single shot mode, you have to conserve huge amounts of TU in a turn for them to fire. A guy posted in a window with a machine gun should definitely be able to lock down the street in front of him. Aliens move into the street and get cut down by MG fire, it is atmospheric, balanced, and keeps in line with the area denial function of the machinegun.

That's exactly my feeling. Full auto weapons are MADE for reaction fire.

Rocket launchers would be the only weapon so far that I would prefer not to reaction fire.

That would apply even more if the amount of rockets they can carry becomes more limited with the pass Chris is making over carrying capacities.

MG reaction fire should definitely be possible.

As has been mentioned they take a lot of AP to fire so reserving that amount should get you a decent bit of cover fire.

The problems with having your own men in the line of fire is part of the balance for this.

If your troops are set up to fire indiscriminately at an area then it would probably be a good idea to not have any friendlies stood in that area.

Remember as well that reaction fire is only a chance.

It also doesn't allow you to pick your targets.

If you had three MGs covering a door then you might still have an alien walk out and down two troops then walk back inside without your remaining soldiers managing to react.

You might also get all three fire wild bursts at a Ceasan non-com while a Reaper sits behind him waiting to move in once they cannot fire and start the zombie apocalypse.