Build V18.51 Released!

Desura could easily catch up by making a faster better update/install system (md5 check on each file is a bit extreme). And also allow developers full control of multiple test branches. Quite easy to catch up indeed. But they choose not too, I think Desura just WANTS to eventually die?. Seems that way.

Anyway I checked 18.5 out and saw no new UI but someone said there is one? I checked some images of one being made which looked great but can't find it in game. http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/newUI.jpg (the one of the left is what I see, when is the new one (right) coming?)

I can confirm Desura client will do the update to 18.51, it works fine.

But still, it won't launch the game. Same thing with the "Verify files" option.

Only the "Update" button that appeared (double arrows in circle) worked.

Then i can manually launch the game from it's directory ( Desura\Common\Xenonauts ) and i have the may 20th v18.51

That would probably suggest it is not compatible!

yes I am not stupid, but I could have broken installation or whatever so I wanted to have some confirmation before I trash out my progress. Thanks for info but next time, please say it in some more polite way, Your customers are not bunch of idiots...

[18.51] Looking good. Only one bug so far, and that's when a alien is spotted he is still one square inside the fow. You need to hover your mouse around until you get the target.

I likes it though, really coming together nicely. :)

Something interesting, combat shields are still in this build, but the inventory crash related to them is not!

Aliens can see really far though, which is wierd. Even Sebillians.

EDIT: And neither is the end of combat crash with the shields.

Edited by Sathra

Cwell - Strange, that's the correct .exe I think though.

It was already like that for my 1st installation with the v18.5 a few days ago. I can only play "manually" launching the .exe, either from a standalone or Desura install.

Desura is the problem as i already explained : verification process not working at some point during game launching process, but the "Update" one works fine from today's experience.

I'll keep Desura to do updates (no 5 Go full DL needed) and launch manually, until Steam :)

AI functional: There's still a bug in the AI, but as far as I'm aware it's a relatively minor one. The aliens should now be able to see your troops and shoot them, but not also see them through solid objects.

Aliens totally trying to shoot me through UFO walls...

Aliens can see really far though, which is wierd. Even Sebillians.

Hope they dont see you all the time and catch you in a crossfire from all corners of the map ;)

Downloaded the new build from Desura in 10 mins o.O ... cant believe my eyes. Time for some playtesting xD

Sо shields only crash if you try to pick em from the ground? That would be pretty bearable

Found a few minor things, but I've only played 3 combat missions in my new game. It's the Caesan's that can see and shoot WAAAY too far. The Seb's range seems to be ok (so far). The aliens don't try to shoot you from a mile away at least, you have to be in range of them, but once you're in range they will try to shoot through the wall to be able to shoot you.

I haven't had any combat shield crashes because I've never used one, not ever. This release is very playable, but when facing Caesans it's far more challenging with their sight range being what it is. I'd say tone that back some maybe.

They have a base of 17 tiles vision from what i remember, and it's quite hard with night missions since they seem to have night vision themselves.

I had no trouble with a few of them in daylight (5 in light scout landing), they saw me before i saw them of course, but they were never far away.

Edit : Sebillians have 15, i've just checked for Ceasan's 17. I haven't met other types yet (i play slowly)

I dread the day i'll meet Harridans (19 tiles vision)

Edited by Cwell

I agree. Needs a few bug fixes and it probably would be OK for Steam. I need to play some more to be sure though. The biggest most frustrating glitch IMO right now is the inability to toss a grenade from behind cover. Your going to get a lot of critism from non-alpha people if they blow themselves up trying to use grenades and demo charges. If I were writing a review of the game I'd have to put that in there.

I agree. Needs a few bug fixes and it probably would be OK for Steam. I need to play some more to be sure though. The biggest most frustrating glitch IMO right now is the inability to toss a grenade from behind cover. Your going to get a lot of critism from non-alpha people if they blow themselves up trying to use grenades and demo charges. If I were writing a review of the game I'd have to put that in there.

You can throw past half-cover types (half-wall, hay stack, etc.).

It does bounces off of full-cover types from what i tested with v18.51 (full walls, double-stacked props like hay, etc.)

I also noticed i don't have the %tage of blocking my shot if i'm within a few tiles (like when you are standing behind cover to shoot)

They have a base of 17 tiles vision from what i remember, and it's quite hard with night missions since they seem to have night vision themselves.

I had no trouble with a few of them in daylight (5 in light scout landing), they saw me before i saw them of course, but they were never far away.

Edit : Sebillians have 15, i've just checked for Ceasan's 17. I haven't met other types yet (i play slowly)

I dread the day i'll meet Harridans (19 tiles vision)

I never checked Xml's or anything for the units. Maybe it just seemed like the ceasan's were shooting farther. I never counted the tiles either though. I do know it's fixed so they won't shoot you from where-ever you are on the map through cover. Just once you're in range. Hopefully a quick exe hotfix can take care of that. Aside from that (and I guess picking up combat shields) this build seems good. I've never used the shields so I never ran into any of the bugs with them.

You can throw past half-cover types (half-wall, hay stack, etc.).

It does bounces off of full-cover types from what i tested with v18.51 (full walls, double-stacked props like hay, etc.)

I also noticed i don't have the %tage of blocking my shot if i'm within a few tiles (like when you are standing behind cover to shoot)

I couldn't throw over a car hood. Also, you should be to toss over any object that isn't a full two story structure. Like a wall, car, etc... The problem, IMO, is that it uses the same LOF routines as a rifle or other direct fire weapon.

they clearly updated some of it already (from v18.5) since i can now shoot without being blocked by my cover (projectiles) and throw past them too (i had always 40% on anything in the path for projectiles, now i have nothing if close to me, and beyond, some 20% for Fences, 35% for a brush, etc.).

Only full cover i cannot pass, which is fine by me (full wall ~2.5m or ~8')

The car example is probably a "forgot this one" case ;)

they clearly updated some of it already (from v18.5) since i can now shoot without being blocked by my cover (projectiles) and throw past them too (i had always 40% on anything in the path for projectiles, now i have nothing if close to me, and beyond, some 20% for Fences, 35% for a brush, etc.).

Only full cover i cannot pass, which is fine by me (full wall ~2.5m or ~8')

The car example is probably a "forgot this one" case ;)

I agree that it is better in the shooting department, but throwing still needs work. They really shouldn't be treated the same.