Long Range Mod (another sight mod)

lightgemini

Hi. Im posting the tweaks in sight range I have been using recently. Please give it a try if you want and say what you think.

UPDATED to 18.51

Sight range modifications to aliens & humans ONLY. Range base is 27, with changes depending on race & armor as done in vanilla game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek3ut3qx8mq953e/Sight%20Mod%2018.51.zip

Sight range mod WITH many other tweaks I play with.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbs02s3l9956grw/Sight%20Mod%20FULL%2018.51.zip

Mod includes:

- Charlie carry 10 soldiers now or 8 + tank.

-New images for laser and bullets shots.

-Projectiles speed increased to have a more fluid firefights.

- Plasma for aliens do more damage. Long range hits will hurt a lot.

-Alien plasma cannon does área damage but is less accurate (think as an alien versión of old EU heavy cannon)

-Machineguns and its energy versions no longer outrange a sniper rifle.

-Some alien weapons have range increased for consistency with inferior human weps. Mainly pistol and rifles.

- Im sure I miss something.

Both mods have a folder with a backup of vanilla game files for easy uninstall. Hope you enjoy.

Note: The second mod (full) requires you to start a new game or face multiple crashes.

Edited by lightgemini

Ok tested new game with sight mod Full. All went well up until first scout misión. My team of 10 Xenonauts got wiped out with only 1 survivor that got to the chopper and left.

It wasnt a rush play 3 fracking caesan morons outgunned me in a firefight , my long range pew pew against go@@@@m plasma rifles tearing apart cover and jackal armour alike. Yes, 3 fracking caesans wiped out 9 xenonauts. New AI do really work so well to the point I think short range sight actually helps you survive longer as it covers your advance. 1 caesan survived incoming fire from 3 soldiers all the battle since it was out of range and pew pews seemed to bounce out from him,but his damned rifle did not bounce from jackal armour. To add to the humiliation a freaking farmer scored a médium range shot killing 1 of them.

All in all good source of dwarf fortress "FUN"

Long range firefights with ballistics are very much not in your favour (unless you have heaps of sniper rifles/MG's). Firing beyond effective range makes each shot cause less damage. Happens to the alien weapons too, but they have more damage that can be lost and still be effective.

Guards are just very nasty since you meet them well before you get lasers and have to try to kill them with ballistics (and they can eat up a considerable amount of firepower, especially Sebbies)

Yes I know, but the funny thing is this new mod versión have the aliens less buffed than in previous one,in fact they have no buffs expcept slight ones to some weapons. Yet they mowed me down instead wich did not happen before even against undamaged cruisers.

I blame the new AI, the aliens really made no mistakes in their moves then punished me very hard mines. The shiny moment for them was relocating a bit a caesan under fire so it gained LOS on some other 2 xenonauts engaging someone else, without me noticing it until this 2 died in horrible crossfire. The AI is really starting to be the real deal.

If you're doing this you'll probably want to increase the weapon ranges too, as those are unrealistically short in part to compensate for the fact your soldiers are partially sighted at best.

Maybe but the idea was to make contact out of rifles range so you are forced to manouver into optimal range while machineguns/sniper cover the advance, giving those long range weps more of a role apart of "shared sight sniper weapon", and also give the AI more time to relocate to favourable positions.

It makes sense in part, as enemy that tries to use cover/concealment can be spotted at 500m or more and 1979 rifles were not very useful beyond 150-200m due to being very hard to hit someone behind cover with ironsights beyond that range. Then machineguns opened fire to "fix" them while the guys with rifles got closer. This also leaves room open to introduce more long range área of effect weapons like cannons without it being a close range overkill.

In short, I want more "Combat Mission" feel into the game with this mod.

I do a similar kind of mod when I play, and I do increase the range of the weapons, but not by much. The main reason is because I think the accuracy gets a little unrealistically good in some (but not all) circumstances, particularly while firing after moving, if I increase them too high. The thing that makes me most sad is that I cannot divorce weapon damage from effective range. I really wish this property was separately moddable in the config. It would allow for much finer balancing of weaponry. While it makes sense for shotguns (sort of), plasma, and laser (but even then...), it makes no sense for bullets in the ranges the game operates for damage to peter off at all with distance.

And this mod is frikkin' awesome!!!

Edited by Andeerz