Is it possible to actually secure an UFO? (Yes!)

Thoth, it is a very elegant solution because on one hand it discourages lazy playing and may necessitate that you split your group into smaller groups in order to scour the area (which is logical and quite realistic), but it also saves you from whatever bugs can happen..

For example, if the alien spawns on a black, unreachable area of the map, or whatever else..

Or if the AI malfunctions somehow.. enables you to still finish the mission and not get stuck

Or maybe if sole remaining alien is smart enough not to single handedly charge a crashed ship full of xenonauts in prepared ambush who have just killed all of its mates, which might be logical, but instead prefers to escape the area and cause mischief elsewhere

• 1 year later...
For example, if the alien spawns on a black, unreachable area of the map, or whatever else..

Or if the AI malfunctions somehow.. enables you to still finish the mission and not get stuck

I had that a couple of days ago, the downed ship itself cut off an area that would normally be accessible and an enemy alien spawned on that side of the ship that I couldn't get to or see so I had no choice but to occupy the ship and wait it out.