Is it possible to actually secure an UFO? (Yes!)

Victory condition state "Kill all aliens or secure and hold UFO for 5 rounds."

Apparently, clearing the UFO + its surrounding + having soldiers inside doesn't work so, is this feature implemented and if so, what is considered "secured"?

Oooh that would suck royally if they left that in.

WTF victory but aliens are still on the loose? besides, think of the endless AI programming and 'cheating' that a human player can do to win if this is in...

I can already see the posts... "stealth-win... 0 aliens killed, large ship secured"

Then again, I don't really know. never tried! could be fun

Edited by Lightzy

depends a bit on the AI. The aliens could actively try to prevent you getting to certain parts of the UFOs. Perhaps if those out on the map fall back to defend it, possibly sneaking up behind the Xenonuats. That would make it worthwhile. If they all just run away into the next room, then not that great.

Haha toth right now personally when commenting in all the balance threads I take it as if there will never be good AI that can do all these sorts of tactics, so I tend to automatically dismiss solutions which require a lot of AI work, even though WITH the AI work they'd be amazing..

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's SUPPOSED to be "You've got troops inside the alien ship for 5 turns with NO ALIENS in it."

To prevent the player from having to hunt down one mook hidden between some boxes on the third floor of an otherwise-empty warehouse.

So you don't have to worry about accidentally winning mid-clear, nutbarz.

Also there is an "aliens escaped" score penalty that currently can't actually be a penalty right now for just that scenario, of capturing an enemy ship without killing all the aliens.

The capture is supposed to be restricted to certain areas of the ship on the larger ones as well.

You would need to accidentally occupy both the bridge and engine room, with no alien presence, for five turns in order to capture.

Just being in a firefight inside the airlock would not be enough.

Aliens can escape but there is something in the lore about them not being able to survive indefinitely in our atmosphere so they would be a short term problem, probably one belonging to the local military.

Once the threat of detonating their ships power source is gone the local grunts can go in and blow away the remaining Sebillian or two hiding in the barns.

The loss of standing with that nation reflects them having to do part of their job for you.

To clarify, this should happen but doesn't currently (it's either broken or simply hasn't been implemented yet, I'm not certain which).

A couple of notes about this: firstly, at least a third of the aliens in a mission (and a higher proportion for the really big UFOs) will have their AI set so that they do not leave the UFO, so you will have to deal with them at least; secondly, our intention is that once the Xenonauts enter the UFO and start capturing it, the AI will force any aliens lurking outside to make their way back to the UFO to attempt to retake it. Taken together that means if you were to try and rush the UFO for a "quick cap" you would have to fight a dug in force of aliens inside the UFO, then get flanked by the other two thirds of the aliens from the rest of the map.

To clarify, this should happen but doesn't currently (it's either broken or simply hasn't been implemented yet, I'm not certain which).

A couple of notes about this: firstly, at least a third of the aliens in a mission (and a higher proportion for the really big UFOs) will have their AI set so that they do not leave the UFO, so you will have to deal with them at least; secondly, our intention is that once the Xenonauts enter the UFO and start capturing it, the AI will force any aliens lurking outside to make their way back to the UFO to attempt to retake it. Taken together that means if you were to try and rush the UFO for a "quick cap" you would have to fight a dug in force of aliens inside the UFO, then get flanked by the other two thirds of the aliens from the rest of the map.

That sounds great. Looking forward to seeing it implemented.

DUDE! That will be frickin awesome! :cool: The last build has me playing more than ever! It's gotten so much better!

Now that it works, I think there should be a popup asking you if you want to end the mission.

I secured a UFO, turned out there was another alien outside. Sent half my team to hunt him down, then the mission ended before I could because I held the UFO. Now I know that, if I clear a UFO and want to hunt down the last alien for whatever reason, I need to quickly evaluate the UFO.

Some of the thinking was so you didn't have to hunt down that last alien outside.

While if there was a pop up I wouldn't complain, but how often is that last alien out there important?

If there's a particular alien on the command deck that you really need to take alive, will you automatically get it if you end the mission by holding the reactor room for 5 turns for example?

I can vouch that it works. After some unfortunate losses, the remnants of my squad weren't feeling so brave. We holed up in the cleared ufo with guns trained on the entrance. Apparently the remaining alien was too far away or didn't want to assault entrenched positions, and after a few turns we went to mission success.

Some of the thinking was so you didn't have to hunt down that last alien outside.

While if there was a pop up I wouldn't complain, but how often is that last alien out there important?

True, part of the idea is to avoid "hunt the alien". But sometimes I want to, which is why I want a popup. Case in point from my last time, I cleared a UFO only to realize there's a Harridan remaining outside. And that I have no live Harridans captured, so the lone guy should make an easy target with my team hitting him. But... no popup as the mission can end. What I'd like is just a simple popup like the abort mission one, "We have secured the UFO and can return to base, but alien operatives remain in the area. Finish the mission or continue?"

Though speaking of that Harridan situation, I am still not sure what the benefit of capturing aliens is, aside from the ones you need to progress in the storyline.