Xenonauts configuration files

Aaron

Hi all - here is a list I put together a little while ago which summarises the purpose of each of the various configuration files in the Xenonauts "assets" folder which control most of the game. The list is organised so that the files that are relevant to the 3 main areas of the game (Ground Combat, Geoscape and Air Combat) are collected together.

It is purposefully just a short summary, and though most you probably know this all already it will be helpful to new modders. Let me know if you spot any mistakes or important files I've missed.

- Ground Combat -

aiprops.xml

Defines the basic stats and equipment of all AI controlled units - including alien drones and unarmed civilians

armours_gc.xml

Defines the stats of various human armour types for the Ground Combat, such as resistances and sight range. Includes human vehicle armour too

config.xml

Selection of general GRound Combat related definitions - things like movement AP cost, LOS rules and character movement stats. Also includes some debug commands to force GC to always occur at night.

corpseprops.xml

Defines the appearence, shape and size of the corpse props when viewed in the players inventory screen during GC

gas_gc.xml

Defines the types of gas (smoke, nerve gas etc...) in GC and how they behave

levelsetup.xml

levelsetup_quickbattle.xml

levelsetup_finalmission.xml

These various define the type of mission the player will receive in certain situations - the most useful being levelsetup_quickbattle as it defines the mission the player will get when they launch the game with the quick battle options, and this is really required for testing changes easily. Note that changes in these files will usually override the default values the game would otherwise generate - so you can force the squad makeup you will enter the final mission with by setting it up there.

missionscore_gc.xml

Tells the game how to assign the player a score at the end of various GC mission types

missiontypeprops_gc.xml

Sets which civilian AI units the game will populate into GC missions

moraleconfig_gc.xml

Variables to control how morale is handled during GC missions, controls for things like regeneration rate and how certain events affect morale

psioniceffects_gc.xml

Short file which defines a couple of variables that control the sound/appearance of psionic powers (also Zombification)

psionicpowers_gc.xml

Variables that control the AP cost and other stats of psionic power use

soldierprops.xml

Defines the items dropped when a human soldier is killed while wearing the various armour types

sounds_gc.xml

Defines the sounds that are used during Ground Combat, also includes the GC music

tilerenderer.xml

Defines some basic properties of tile rendering in GC, including wall transparency

vehicles_gc.xml

Sets the armour type and engine sound of each human vehicle type

vehicleweapons_gc.xml

Defines the stats of weapons for human vehicles, similar to weapons_gc

weapons_gc.xml

Defines the stats of all the weapons used by soldiers (either human or alien)

initCharacters.xml

Seems to define a squad of human soldiers, vehicles and alien opponents - no idea where it is used

Please also be aware that you will need to be on the Compatibility branch (http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12716-Xenonauts-Steam-Branches) to have access to all the unit sprites and terrain tiles for modding purposes!

- Air Combat -

aircraftweapons.xml (Excel)

Defines stats for human and alien aircraft weapons in Air Combat

gameconfig.xml

Defines important Air Combat variables.

aircrafts.xml (Excel)

Defines stats for human and alien aircraft on the Geoscape

- Geoscape -

AM_AirSuperiority.xml

AM_BaseAttack.xml

AM_BombingRun.xml

AM_Construction.xml

AM_GroundAttack.xml

AM_Research.xml

AM_Scout.xml

AM_SupplyRun.xml

AM_Terror.xml

(Excel)

Variously define the different mission types UFOs can undertake, with various stats for each type

ammos.xml

Defines the properties of human ammunition types as they relate to the Geoscape (i.e. image, inventory size and weight)

armours.xml

Defines the properties of human armour types as they relate to the Geoscape (i.e. image, inventory size, weight and strength boost)

buidlings.xml (Excel)

Defines the appearence and basic stats of Xenonauts base buildings

cities.xml

Defines the stats of Geoscape cities

config_level_editor.xml

Defines the colours used in the Xenonauts map editor to identify different types of tiles (e.g. if a tile name contains a string listed here, such as "grass", it will be displayed with the colour defined for "grass")

gameconfig.xml

Defines most of the important gameplay aspects of the Geoscape, such as variables to control rate of time passage, initial player conditions, difficulty level multipliers and alien invasion AI settings. Also defines important Air Combat variables

gsgcitemtranslator.xml

Tells the game how the names of items in the Geoscape match up to the names of items in the Ground Combat

items.xml (Excel)

Defines the types of items that are recoverable after a mission, along with text to display when they are recovered

manufactures.xml (Excel)

Defines the items that can be produced using the base workshop, along with how much they cost and how long they take

researches.xml (Excel)

Defines all the research projects the player can undertake during the game, along with how long they take and what they unlock

settings.xml

Engine info, not relevant

soldiernames.xml

soldiernamesfemale.xml

Defines the names and backgrounds of the soldiers in the game.

sounds.xml

Defines sounds to be used in the Geoscape, including background music

strings.xml (Excel)

This file contains the language specific strings that are displayed in various parts of the game, which would need to be changed for translations into different languages

vehicles.xml (Excel)

Defines the information displayed about various human vehicle types (some of this info is also used by the GC, i.e. AP values and health!)

vehicleweapons.xml (Excel)

Defines some information about the weapons for human vehicles, but I believe these are just for display and don't affect GC

weapons.xml (Excel)

Defines some information about the various weapons, but I believe these are just for show in the squad management screen and don't affect GC

xenopedia.xml

Contains the titles and descriptions of research projects and a few other entries, to be displayed in the Xenopedia. Would need to be changed for translations into different languages

ufocontents/ (folder)

This folder contains a number of Excel files that defines which aliens the different types of UFOs and alien bases will have in their associated GC mission.

• 2 months later...

The weapons.xml file also sets the starting weapon's ammunition level.

As an example: You modify the weapons_gc.xml file to have larger magazine capacity for the basic pistol to 20. You also need to update the weapons.xml file for the basic pistol 'clip size' as well. Otherwise at the start of the first mission (and possibly all missions), units equipped with the basic pistol will only have the original number of rounds (12) in their weapon. They would have to perform a reload to get a full amount (20).

The weapons.xml file is also responsible for the data in the area above the weapons list, but not the pop-up box when hovering over a weapon. That appears to be in the strings.xml file.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Where can I find the values for the amount of alenium/alloys recovered from each type of UFO?

I would also like to know this.

Though it appears that if you go into gameconfig and set ITEM DEBUG MODE to "true" that you can manually increase the amount of stuff in your Stores.

But it seems pretty lame to do it like that.

The amount of alloys and alenium you get should be defined by the props left in the ship at the end of the ground mission.

If you go to assets/tiles/UFO there will be a list of the props found inside ships and the spectre files should list how much of each material you get for recovering it.

Note that not all props can be recovered though, that is also set in the spectre with the isrecoverable flag.

The anti gravity generator for example is recoverable and is worth 100 alloys and no alenium, until it is damaged when it is no longer worth anything.

Example:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<spectre id="UFO/antigravgenerator" width="2" height="2" version="1">

<state id="damaged" name="" pivotX="68" pivotY="131" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="4" visibilityScore="0.000" bulletScore="0.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="50" wallType="tall" isLamp="1" lightRadius="5.000" isRecoverable="1" recoverItemString="Items.AlienAntigravityGenerator" recoverAlienium="0" recoverAlienAlloys="0" destructionSound="Metal Prop">

<anim src="tiles/UFO/antigravgenerator" anim="main" />

</state>

<state id="default" name="" pivotX="68" pivotY="131" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="4" visibilityScore="0.000" bulletScore="0.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="50" wallType="tall" isLamp="1" lightRadius="5.000" isRecoverable="1" recoverItemString="Items.AlienAntigravityGenerator" recoverAlienium="0" recoverAlienAlloys="100" destructionSound="Metal Prop">

<anim src="tiles/UFO/antigravgenerator" anim="main" />

</state>

<state id="destroyed" name="" pivotX="68" pivotY="131" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="0" wallType="none" />

</spectre>

You can adjust these values to make all ships that carry that specific prop worth more or you could edit the ship submaps to add more props if you want to balance an individual ship type.

I prefer the latter.

Edited by Gauddlike

• 2 months later...

On the "chance" value in the soldiernames.xml where the value represents the chances for nationality and ethnicity are lower values actually low or are they high?

Being American myself I'd like to slightly increase the odds of getting a few more Americans into my Xenonaut army. Americans = 9 chance while British = 4. Does this mean I have a higher chance of getting Americans with a chance of 9? Or is the British lower value of 4 actually a higher chance than 9? Or does the chance value refer to yet another script for it's actual value? Soviet Union has a chance value of 12 and I do seem to get a lot of soldiers from Soviet countries.

Sorry for the newb scripting questions. I'm just looking to make a few small changes so I don't want to go rewriting the whole file and mess something up or make any drastic changes.

Thanks for any help.

On the "chance" value in the soldiernames.xml where the value represents the chances for nationality and ethnicity are lower values actually low or are they high?

I don't know the answer to this, but I imagine you could check it by setting some extreme values. Try setting the American score to 100 or something and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
Where can I find the config files for AI (Aggressive, Defensive, etc) of the game?

I search almost all the files and I can't find it :S

IIRC, there's a file with some AI stuff in it. I'm not sure it has anything you're looking for, though; there's a good chance that the AI for alien stances is hard-coded.

Assuming you want more active/aggressive aliens, though, you could mod the GC alien squads since the AI stance for each unit is determined there. (I think Stinky possibly had a go at this; there's a thread in this subforum somewhere).

IIRC, there's a file with some AI stuff in it. I'm not sure it has anything you're looking for, though; there's a good chance that the AI for alien stances is hard-coded.

Assuming you want more active/aggressive aliens, though, you could mod the GC alien squads since the AI stance for each unit is determined there. (I think Stinky possibly had a go at this; there's a thread in this subforum somewhere).

Yes, I'm trying to mod race and script behavior.

For example:

- Sevillians are less inteligente than Caesan, soo they shot even al low accuracy (Shoot like crazy and never reserve to eaction fire).

- Caesan its the most fragile race in game, keep distance and have low morale at low ranks.

In othe hand I had try to modify the ufocontent folder, resulting in game crash, especialy for androns, its like some alien ranks dont have "aggressive" script.... or I dont know.

My objective is that the real combat were outside the UFO, the alien grouped and make mass attack, only leader stay in UFO with some guards, when you approache near to UFO, the comander an his guardians awake and turn aggressive.

Something like that...

:/

/ufocontents/ is where the scripts are set.

aiprops.xml is the AI values for the different races.

Thx, I already mod some aspects of races, but still can change script behavior "defensive", "passive", "command".

I nearly complete the first release of XNat: Into Darkness.

In other hand I fail chainging "hidden movement" screen.

Can you help me?

In other hand I fail chainging "hidden movement" screen.

Can you help me?

Not sure exactly what you want to do, but the hidden movement screen image is in assets/gui/GroundCombat/hiddenmovement

There's two images; not sure which one it is you need to edit.

Not sure exactly what you want to do, but the hidden movement screen image is in assets/gui/GroundCombat/hiddenmovement

There's two images; not sure which one it is you need to edit.

Im constructing a alternative global mod, I had try bot images but still no luck.

Im about to make the first release of the mod but im struck with a problem with androns.

any help I'll really appreciate it.