MM Maps

Mothman

So I played a little with the Level & Submap Editor and these are the results. For now only arctic maps.

Feel free to comment, anything between "Worst maps ever" and "A masterful display of map crafting" is welcome :cool:

"Variation" sounds boring but I think in most cases you won't even notice that you have already played the map.

I will have to redo the maps as soon as all UFO are ingame and reorient them accordingly.

There is also a new cabin submap. A picture is included in the zip file.

Do you like a part of the map (like lakes which are bothersome to make) but want to change other parts? Feel free use the maps as a editing base as you like.

Arctic 1.0

for Xenonauts 18.5

Download: http://www.share-online.biz/dl/TH2B0SMMPRM

[table=width: 500, class: grid, align: left]

[tr]

[td]arctic_lightscout1_MM[/td]

[td]Rocky with a cabin[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_lightscout2_MM[/td]

[td]Rocky[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_lightscout3_MM[/td]

[td]Rocky with forest[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_lightscout4_MM[/td]

[td]Rocky with lakes[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_lightscout5_MM[/td]

[td]Big lakes[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_lightscout6_MM[/td]

[td]Forest with lakes[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_small1_MM[/td]

[td]Variation of lightscout1[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_small2_MM[/td]

[td]Variation of lightscout2[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_small3_MM[/td]

[td]Variation of lightscout3[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_small4_MM[/td]

[td]Variation of lightscout4[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_small5_MM[/td]

[td]Variation of lightscout5[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_small6_MM[/td]

[td]Variation of lightscout6[/td]

[td]60x60[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_medium1_MM[/td]

[td]Variation of lightscout1[/td]

[td]70x70[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_medium2_MM[/td]

[td]Rocky[/td]

[td]70x70[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]arctic_medium3_MM[/td]

[td]Rocks, forest & lakes[/td]

[td]70x70[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Edited by Mothman

Your cabin submap directory wants to replace my default submap because you included yours and the original one.

If you remove all unchanged files from folders, it will leave only the extra changes and will install cleaner. However, I like the cabin.

I personally would just add it as an extra sub map so instead of the cabin randomizing, you can place both kinds on the maps.

Your map sizes seem a little all over there. Chris has his mapping guidelines for sizes.

Goldhawk Mapping Guidelines - Crash Sites

Crash Site maps use the following tilesets: Arctic, Farm, Desert, Middle East

Light Scout - Light Scout (~60x60)

Small - Scout / Corvette (~60x60)

Medium - Landing Ship / Cruiser (~70x70)

Large - Carrier / Battleship (as required)

Chris also wants the current UFOS to be placed away form the bottom of the map because of the location of the doors.

Obviously arctic is a little difficult to fill out because of the lack of props at present. However, my one area for improvement would be to think about a story/theme for your map, e.g arctic base, secret military outpost, ribbon lake, tundra forest etc.

Use this theme to think about how to break up LOS. At the moment you can pretty much shoot across the maps and many maps are focused around a central struggle with the corners being rather empty.

Also be careful with the Mesa's. When put to close together the textures mess up.

Your spawns seem fairly well placed around the map and you have done well to create a range of different water features.

Thanks for your feedback, Flashman!

I removed the vanilla cabin, there should be no more conflict with the files. I somehow forgot that one.

Yeah, extra sub maps... that's a topic the mappers should talk about. There should be a lager set of submaps that the mapper can use in the final version, but that is for another thread.

Where did you find the wrong map sizes? I checked them again (and updated them in the first post) and they seem to be according to Chris' guidelines. Maybe the maps were not displayed correctly in the level editor as it has some problems since 18.4.

Regarding the UFO being close to the bottom, yeah I see how that is not good right now, but I thought first about the maps and then about the UFOs since they can easily be replaced with the new orientations as soon as they are finished. And while not pretty in that regard, the maps are playable right now.

Was that "shooting across the maps" and "break up LOS" thing a general remark or did you think that was a problem with my maps? I tried to make "combat zones" where the player would obviously have to split the team and fight in different corners. (Like when a mesa front is in the middle the player has to go down or right when he started top left).

That messed up textures are because of 18.4/18.5. When I tried the maps with 18.3 they worked fine. I already reported the bug.

Apologies I fixed tiling issue. Yes the sizes are good.

The only map I think is a bit tight is small5 scout5 because the water traps you going 1 way.

Otherwise they feel clean and spacious. I would be careful putting the Mesa's too close together because they are so square. IMO they can seem quite odd.