We have just released Build V18.5. This is basically V18.4 with an AI patch, some stability fixes and a little more content.

The Standalones are available on Desura already - get them here, if you are logged into the Desura site.

I've also taken a leap of faith and released V18.5 to the branch releases (still awaiting authorisation), as they've not been updated since V18 HF1. Let's hope there's no game-breaking bugs in it, eh?

CHANGELOG:

• File Compression: We have disabled the texture atlases for this build, so loading times will be slower. However, the white tile bug was caused by insufficient engine memory being available, so I'm hoping that removing the texture atlases will cure this. Let me know if it works.
  • AI Patch: The AI has had another update. The aliens are now better at decision making, and will thus now shoot at your units when you would expect them to do so. This means they will punish your mistakes far more, and the game is much better for it. I'd say the AI is now as good as, if not better, than the AI in the original game (edit - it emerges this is perhaps not the case). Again, if you disagree then let us know why.
  • Xenopedia: I've nearly finished all the non-UFO and non-autopsy research descriptions now, and I've run a spellcheck on it. There's still areas of inconsistency in it which will be addressed later, but we're getting there. New Shrike art too.
  • Bleed Icon: Soldiers who are suffering from bleeding now have a blood drop icon on their soldier portrait.
  • Automatic Finish: The missions now end immediately when the final alien is killed.
  • Combat Shield: This is back in.

BUGFIXES:

• Crash bug on loading a mission has been fixed
  • Right-clicking with a vehicle weapon no longer causes a crash.
  • Renaming the "Rifleman" soldier role no longer causes a crash when new soldiers are hired
  • Mission score is now correctly added to the nation relations score after a mission
  • Smoke no longer propagates incredibly slowly.
  • Ridiculous Geoscape square cursor replaced with arrow one.
  • Opening soldier inventory over an Alien Battle Rifle no longer crashes the game.
  • Alien Base missions now have alien spawn points set correctly, so they don't all spawn in the Command Room.
  • Downed UFOs can no longer be detected as flying UFOs after being shot down.

Hopefully this will be a much more stable experience than V18.4. The AI should make a big difference to the game too.

Woo!

Now that's out of the way, really looking forward to the new build. Combat shields (and assault?), better base attack missions, smoke fix, better relations and of course, new more brutal AI.

Bleed icon and a possible fix for white tiles is just icing on the cake!

We have disabled the texture atlases for this build, so loading times will be slower. However, the white tile bug was caused by insufficient engine memory being available, so I'm hoping that removing the texture atlases will cure this. Let me know if it works.
The Level Editor won't work in this one either, probably - the files will still be in the archives. If it's stable we'll release an unzipped version for modders too.

So there is no compression, but there is a Zip ? I don't understand.

Perhaps a poor choice of lanaguage. The level editor is currently compressed in the archives. What I'm guessing Chris means is that provided that 18.5 is stable, then an un-archived (unzipped) version will be made available for modders and level designers.

File Compression: We have disabled the texture atlases for this build, so loading times will be slower. However, the white tile bug was caused by insufficient engine memory being available, so I'm hoping that removing the texture atlases will cure this. Let me know if it works.

Standalones should be authorised now.

They are! I'm happy to have been wrong but... why? I thought we established the last time that they are located in Australia, where it should be around midnight, while I'm writing these words of joy! Aw, who cares! 18.5!!

"Alien Base missions now have alien spawn points set correctly, so they don't all spawn in the Command Room."

This was pretty good actually. You could make decision to fight few teleporting aliens, destroy generators and leave, or open command room and have a unique moment, when due to sheer numbers of aliens, you had to deffend instead of attack. It was great expirience in 18.32.

Are the missing strings (#####) repaired and hypervelocity weapons included in this build? I missed 18.4 and this sounds really good this time :)

Well, I'm... "glad" that I'll have to use clever tactics for fighting alien bases now. I suppose putting all the aliens into one small, easily-grenadeable room was a little too easy. :P

I'll give this version a shot, I pretty much could not play the last one. Literally: I had white tiles every mission I tried to play (which was like two or three, grand total), and when I alt-tabbed out and back in the game crashed.

Stumbled upon a... erm... *unofficial* copy of this game (blushes) a few days ago and after 10+ hours of CTDs and missing textures (lol), here i am with a preorder (how do i get that cool badge on my profile btw? :))

Just want to say a big THANK YOU guys for this game, keep up the good work, cant wait for my 18.5 download to finish, looks like it fixes alot of bugs from 18.4

EDIT: To the poster above me - i "cured" the white tiles problem by just alt-tabbing out and back in the game, which seemed to reload the textures

EDIT: Oh, just saw that crashed the game for you lol, ah well :)

Edited by Stinkspray