Wow. I finally got to my 1st downed UFO, and the 1st 4 shots fired by my team ALL impacted other members of the team. I don't know where these folks went to boot camp but even the greenest cherry won't shoot a teammate by accident on his 1st op, much less supposed 'elite' operators.

If this is by design, I am EXTREMELY disappointed.

Friendly fire is indeed by design. This is one of the OG's mecanics, and it works perfectly here. You have to deploy your troops more carefully and to be sure they are not in each other's line of shot. Before you try to kill an alien, be sure that the line (cone) is clear.

However, if the shooter is next to a crouched ally, this ally cannot be friendly fired.

Comments like yours GrumpyOldMan are helpful to developers, but if you want them to do something, you'll need to give more information about the situation regarding those 4 shots. For example, I'm sure the devs would want to know the situation the squaddies were in - who were they shooting at? Where was the squaddie who got hit in relation to the squaddie who shot? Was there cover involved? Etc. etc.

They were deployed in a wedge, no obstructing cover, 20% cloud cover, time was early afternoon, low humidity, and a reptilian alien target ~20 tiles away. The angle of the wedge was facing the alien. I was using snap fire and all were kneeling to improve accuracy.

Oh, and I do know this is an alpha build. I was just taken by surprise by their horrible accuracy. In my own experience, I could hit the X at 500yds firing an M-16A1 from the off-hand 8/10 times - and I'm not a prodigy. Your desire for realism (such as it is in a sci-fi game) is commendable and I have my own experience with friendly fire (it is a reality). I'm merely suggesting lessening the probabilities a mite.

Would probably make them too accurate. There's always a risk of going too far into realism and removing the fun of the game. Compared to the OG Xenonauts are sharpshooters, even at low rank.

Trying to shoot along paths close to friendlies is always risky, and you're not meant to bunch up troops anyways (when the aliens finally learn how to use grenades it'll make sense).

Definitely not hyper-realistic but at least now you can get away with a gamble now and then. I went up against 2 Sebilians last night and only 3 troopers had shots, 2 riflemen and a machine gunner. The riflemen were deployed in front of and two the sides (think 2 squares diagonal separation) from the gunner, with one Sebilian directly ahead of the LMG. It had happened by accident, moving one of the riflemen revealed both ETs and triggered reaction fire. I was able to cut one down with bursts from the riflemen and took a gamble with the LMG. Worked out, ET was suppressed and next turn my riflemen were able to drop the survivor. Last build I played (which was quite a while ago) I had stopped bringing LMGs with because that same situation would have just got both my riflemen hosed. Was definitely a white-knuckler though.

Also bear in mind that whilst the troopers are static on your screen when you take the shot, if this was happening in real time then they'd probably be in motion, and therefore taking a shot with the risk of your buddy darting in front of you in a split second doesn't seem like the most sensible thing to do.

Also, bunching up like that leaves you hugely vulnerable to grenade attacks. I don't see why you'd want to form your men up like that in the first place really. Sure, still do your wedge formation, but leave a couple of tiles between each trooper for firing lines and safety from area affect attacks.

I'd suggest line or echelon rather than wedge. The benefit of a wedge formation (being able to put a large volume of fire in three directions) is lost on most maps, especially early on. As your troops get better, you can take more risks, but early on you should just treat it like a firing line. Don't shoot if someone is in front of you.

Grumpy, would you be willing to mock up a diagram or even take a screen shot of a reenactment? It feels like formations are the real cause of many of these FF-related incidences, as many of the stories I've read are eerily similar.

I think the mishap friendly fire is kind out of whack. I've had people aiming at a monster in front of them (like 6 tiles away) and shooting his friend at a near 90 degree angle to his right. ( I no longer use close range weapon anymore since then).

It happened several time with single fire weapons and all i can think of over and over is "where are the basic laws of physics"? Unless the game is emulating a super elite soldier dropping his 2 handed rifle and then an accidental discharge happen...

Also shooting over crouched allies sometime put a 30% chance of hitting the allies, so i use line formation now but, i just feel like i'm controlling 10years old kids with bazookas rather than the most highly trained commando on earth.

At any rate, i fixed all my problems using 4 men with rocket launcher and 2 snipers... the rocket men shoot first, ask question later. The sniper finish the wounded enemy and that tactic seem to capture aliens alive as often as it break something it shouldn't have. This much i love ;P