5th May Development Update

A development update to go with the new build, because it's been a while since I've done of these.

Right now we're concentrating on the Steam release build. Ideally I want to have V18.5 locked down at our end by the middle of next week so it can get a couple of days of testing on the forums before we port it to Mac / Linux and start uploading it to Steam. V18.5 will have only minor improvements over V18.4, it'll mostly be bugfixes to get it as stable as possible (we'll also create a new demo from it).

If we (that's the royal we there) can get the Xenopedia finished and GJ can get an AI update done, we'll probably add those into V18.5 too.

Taking the project forwards, we've decided to split out some of the responsibilities on the team further. Previously it was my job to do pretty much everything, but currently I'm in the process of handing over the project management and beta balancing to Aaron. This means that he'll be the one checking the Beta forums and doing the task management for the coders.

I'll be focusing more on the creative side of things. In the short term, that means getting the Xenopedia finished. There's still art to do on it and only about 2/3 of the research descriptions have been written. I want to get at least the writing done in the near future. After that, I'll be working on the air combat auto-resolve and getting the new UI done. Oh, and probably maps.

The split will therefore be that I'll be designing the systems / content and getting them implemented, and Aaron will be in charge of polishing the overall project along the guidelines that I've laid out.

This is basically because I have far too much on my plate at the moment and project management is something that requires your full attention. Honestly, the community shouldn't see too much different except that it'll be Aaron posting in the beta forums instead of me!

Fortunately, due to the crash in real estate values in recent years, Hell is in fact only worth $5790. It's just not the threat it used to be...
Ah crap! Here I was hoping to do a reverse mortgage on my private Hell to get me through retirement. It's just not fair!

A thought on air combat auto-resolve implementation.

Instead of having it be a button along with "engage" when you make an interception, have it be a hotkey you can toggle during air combat that fast forwards the battle. This way if you do truly overpower a UFO you can hit it, but if something looks a little off you can go back to normal speed.

The downside to that would be having your fighters automatically do missile staggering once UFOs get better at dodging again...