Build V18.4 Released!

So after not having tried this game since like 8 months ago or so I decided to download the latest stand alone from desura and I just have to say what the fuck did I just download? tens of thousands of files having to be unpacked in this day and age just reeks of amateurism. Heck my winrar nearly collapsed from trying to unrar it and while most games at most have a few hundred files and are quick to install this took almost an hour.

I can't see this kind of file structure ever working in the long run and i'm sure steam don't want it like this either.

They are working on getting the file sizes down to something reasonable. This is why the game is Beta, after all.

Can confirm that white tiles are present in windowed mode. Saw those on industrial map.

The interesting part is that those turned to normal after i minimised the window and spent some time doing other things. On the next industrial map those sub-maps that where present in the first mission were rendered as normal, but new ones where once again white. Again minimising fixed the issue (but only after third attempt).

yes and no. we're using standalone builds but they're still hosted by desura. I just have not been impressed by desura overall and am looking forward to the transition to steam.

But the fact that desura hosted the zip file isn't in anyway going to influence the contents of the zip file. It would fail to unzip if it was damaged for instance.

The reason we've had past concerns about desura is with regards to the client rather than the standalone.

So after not having tried this game since like 8 months ago or so I decided to download the latest stand alone from desura and I just have to say what the fuck did I just download? tens of thousands of files having to be unpacked in this day and age just reeks of amateurism. Heck my winrar nearly collapsed from trying to unrar it and while most games at most have a few hundred files and are quick to install this took almost an hour.

I can't see this kind of file structure ever working in the long run and i'm sure steam don't want it like this either.

Civ 4 has a similar number of files (30k). Steam handles it no sweat. :)

I have not downloaded the game for the last several builds, but saw Beta Candidate and was excited. I have to say I am very disappointed this thing seems to be even less stable that the last time I played. I tried 2-3 times starting and had missing textures, CTD, and corrupted saves. I figured it must be a corrupt download, so I downloaded it again and had the same results. I checked the bug reports and the issues I am having are listed. I just wanted to throw in my $.02, so please do not release a beta in this kind of shape. It has serious issues that will give it low ratings and bad reviews. I would really like to see it be a success.

Also, The few missions I was able to play the AI seems to still be dumber than a box of rocks

Edited by Thomas

I have not downloaded the game for the last several builds, but saw Beta Candidate and was excited. I have to say I am very disappointed this thing seems to be even less stable that the last time I played. I tried 2-3 times starting and had missing textures, CTD, and corrupted saves. I figured it must be a corrupt download, so I downloaded it again and had the same results. I checked the bug reports and the issues I am having are listed. I just wanted to throw in my $.02, so please do not release a beta in this kind of shape. It has serious issues that will give it low ratings and bad reviews. I would really like to see it be a success.

Also, The few missions I was able to play the AI seems to still be dumber than a box of rocks

If you had looked around a little in the most recent threads, you would have seen that the missing textures, CTDs etc are because of the new file compression introduced in the latest build. Also in the AI Developer thread Chris said that there will be a major AI update in the next build.

I'm surprised at how many people decided to finally try out Xenonauts with exactly this build, which is the first in a while that has serious issues.

But the fact that desura hosted the zip file isn't in anyway going to influence the contents of the zip file. It would fail to unzip if it was damaged for instance.

The reason we've had past concerns about desura is with regards to the client rather than the standalone.

ah, my apologies. When I heard issues with desura I figured it was getting the file to them in the first place, not how they distributed it through their client. I've only been using the standalones at this point so I thought it was desura in general that was causing the issue

if you want a very stable build that reflects prob the best we've had was 18.3 with the hotfixes. Chris stated, they are trying the archiver thinggy again (correct me if im wrong im no computer guy) and that there was a chance it might cause some problems, and as its a beta needed us to test it to find the bugs. If you dont wanna help test and bug report and play for fun I suggest the 18.3, sure 18.4 looks like it took steps backwards but thats because they tried something that eventually should improve the game once they get it massaged and working correctly. Lastly chris also stated another build would be a few days away, and i believe he said that a day or so ago, and he's well aware of the issues that were added in .4 so lets see what .5 brings.

I wish i read all of this before "beta testing" or banging my head against the wall. I thought the game was just totally broken, but if its just a v18.4 thing, i'm relieved. I hope this version doesn't get on steam, tho. That would be terrible~

I hope the AI get worked a bit. At the moment, its always the same, the aliens i see ALWAYS run back a few squares in the field and every other aliens in the universe fire at me from screens away if i didnt take that one guy out.

All the aliens seem to do when i see them is run away.

Even when i breach a ship, they all run in the engine room and always get killed by the engine exploding. Thats what they do all day; run, run and run!

(Also true for the crysalids, toll tho toward me, lol, but i dont get the point, they are supposed to be super deadly and fast but they seem quite slow and squishy to me. I was afraid when i first saw their claw glow in the dark, i was like oh shit, what is that?! Then Pew pew with one sniper and it was dead xD)

So this has become a very easy game. I spot one alien, nuke him with tons of snipers/rocket. Then all the other aliens seem to forget i'm there. Then carefully scout the next and nuke him. Over and over. Yesterday an alien ran into a big market that was semi bugged, i couldn't see inside. So it took like 15 rockets and many weapon fire but i got him and he never fired back. (He did get a lucky reaction shot off tho. :( )

Edited by Virosa

virosa sadly that's how I play too. all snipers/rocketeers, with one going scouting for the nuke-squad until he is injured, then replaced.

I think your observation that aliens just forget about you if you're not in their line of sight is very accurate and problematic, i didn't even think about it... aliens should definitely converge on the last known position...