Build V18.4 Released!

This is the proposed Steam stable build. The only updates that will be made to it are bugfixes and small balance changes or animation updates (made to the XML files). This code has been branched completely from the main trunk now and will also form the basis for the new demo that will come when we launch on Steam.

For now it is only the standalone. Please give it a try, because I want to roll it out to the Desura branches quickly but just need confirmation it is stable first. Any bug reports would be much appreciated, particularly crash bugs or things that make the game unplayable.

The Standalones are currently awaiting authorisation by Desura.

CHANGELOG:

• The biggest change is that we've started using the texture atlases and file archives again. This should reduce ground combat load times by about 50%, and also reduce the file count of a full install of the game from about 140,000 files down to 38,000 (we can't get on Steam with 140k). I've given it a quick test and it seems to work, BUT it needs a proper check. If any images are not displaying, please tell me - this will be because of the file archiving.
  • The UFO datacores should be working and should unlock technology correctly again.
  • There's now a UFO Analysis research project for each type of crashed UFO - a bit like an autopsy for the alien races. This pops up automatically. We will add them for the UFOs that don't leave crash sites too, but not for this build.
  • Various updated animations and fixed tiles. Also some newly-painted prop art for the Middle East and Town tilesets.
  • When you click on an alien spotted icon in the ground combat, they are now highlighted in red for a second.
  • Cover walls (i.e. waist high walls) are no longer turned invisible by a unit's transparency aura.
  • Large props are now turned invisible by a unit's transparency aura.
  • If a unit is crouching and fire their weapon, the projectile is offset downwards by 20px instead of coming out of their faces.
  • Smoke and suppression no longer propagates through walls (but an open window will allow it to spread as if the wall were not there).
  • Hypervelocity has been disabled for this build. There's an issue in the accuracy code where a hypervelocity weapon will always display 0% chance of shooting over a prop if it does not cause enough damage to shoot through it if it were to hit it (the calculation doesn't consider that the unit might shoot around it instead it).
  • If a soldier is assigned a new role, he will automatically also be assigned the default loadout of that role.
  • There is now a Comms Array in an alien base. Recovering it will allow you to build the equivalent of the Hyperwave Decoder.
  • Light Scouts can now Evasive Roll and contain one more alien in crash sites.
  • UFOs should no longer chain-lock a slower interceptor if you try to run away. Now they will lose interest after an interceptor has retreated once.
  • There are more Xenopedia descriptions than there were before, and a few pieces of new art.
  • Various other small bugfixes.

Changes that will be made before the final build:

• The launcher video is going to be disabled, as it still causes some people issues with startup.
  • The Buzzard Scatter Laser and Sebillian Elite sprites will be updated to fix Giganto Soldier and keep the Elite consistent with the other Sebillians.

I am going to be working on the Xenopedia in the hopes of having that (provisionally) done for the Steam version. The only other thing that might make it into an update is an AI update to make the aliens a bit less passive.

I just messed up something with my xenonauts directory and was about to download it again, when I saw this thread.

Awesome!

Light Scouts can now Evasive Roll

Cool. I really have to play more and see how multiple aircraft fights work out.

18.4 isnt happened to be called DMG /RPM/DEB? I cant see anything yet saying 18.4, just; beta candidate, beta candidate 2 and these v18.0-0 alpha deb, v18. alpha DMG and alpha RPM (only the premiums are availible to me fore download of each of those). But i would love to pledge a lazy sunday to bug hunting for you once i can download :)

edit: forgive my lack of computer knowledge, it appears dmg rpm and deb are for lineux/mac clients correct? no sign of new build on stand alone dl site for me yet

Edited by Orangehat44

oh good stuff. Particularly looking forward to the datacore working, the improved Light scout and, best of all, the UFO analysis.

If a unit is crouching and fire their weapon, the projectile is offset downwards by 20px instead of coming out of their faces.

All this time I thought it was a Halitosis weapon.

This is the proposed Steam stable build. The only updates that will be made to it are bugfixes and small balance changes or animation updates (made to the XML files). This code has been branched completely from the main trunk now and will also form the basis for the new demo that will come when we launch on Steam.

If the build is branched off the main trunk, how will updates propagate to it? Does this mean that desura build will be updated more often than the steam build?

Gene - sorry, I was speaking in pure code terms there. It basically means we've split the code in our codebase, so when we add a new feature to our development version of the game, it doesn't end up in the branch too (where it might cause additional bugs). It gives us a stable environment where we can fix the bugs in the stable version but not have to stop working on new stuff.

And no, once we're on Steam that will be the main source of the new builds. We'll probably have both a Stable and Experimental build available, so people can choose stability vs new features.

F5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5

Glad to see you're about to go on steam. I have it and love it. And there are those who don't (the ignorant ) they are those who have never really given it a chance.

At first I hated it (it was pretty bad in the beginning) now for a gamer its a boon.

Plenty of good indie games you don't even know about.

Sales that are amazing

50%, 75% off good games that have only been out a month or two.

Cloud.

Quick, Convenient backup system.

Nice interface.

and a lot more.

Those who don't like it think they know better but they don't.

It does not compromise your computer in any way

You can run games or mods with it off.

You don't have to have it running whenever your computers on (though I'd

prefer it to be on most of the time)

Its not spying on you or your computer or your internet use.

It won't interfere with other programs, it won't damage your operating system or

change you computer settings. Its just there

to allow you to organize your games and

find good deals on good games.

Steamworks: (which allows you to create mots and download them to your games.

Why anyone would prefer Desura garbage over steam makes no sense.

Edited by windex

No, bate. No hook. Just what I know and have experienced in having a steam account. If anyone wants to fear steam or be paranoid that is their business... and their lose.:confused: Some choose not to go to their mail box: could get spotted by the neighbors or hit by a car or something.

Anyways the sooner it gets on steam the easier it will be for me to download I'm sure what with the problems I'm having with Desura.

Please stay on topic, people. It's not a thread to debate the good and bad of Steam, it's to debate the good and bad of V18.4 (when it finally gets authorised).

The Steam thread in the Development Updates can house that discussion if needed.

Yes, Max had a good question.

Are the file stored in readable atlases or are they packed and compressed somehow? If the latter, do you plan on releasing packing/unpacking tool? Will there be a plugin folder in which the game will look for files before loading the original files? And more importantly, what did you have for breakfast? I had some toats. I modded them with strawberry jam. I'm such a talented modder.

I haven't taken a look at it myself but I'll say (in lieu of a direct answer from staff) that the archives will probably be accessible to modders. 7-Zip can open pretty much any non-encrypted archive, and since there has been issues with file retrieval from the archives, encryption would be silly to add at this point. Modding might take longer to do, and it might take a bit more savvy to make and add mods manually, but it shouldn't be stopped.

When I download 18.4 I'll take a look and see if I'm right or not.

How long does Desura take to authorise a version? 18.3.1 took a bit more than a day, but it was a week day. I just recently preorder, so I don't know their schedule so much.

And about the new UI I've been reading about, what's the plan? With version 18.4 being closer to the Steam ready version, does this mean we might not get to see it once it's there? I imagine you want to focus on bug fixing and stability issues rather than a UI overhaul just before hitting Steam.

In my opinion a plugin folder indiscriminatly accepting packed or unpacked files would be the best option. If installing mods consists in replacing game files directly, modders will have to upload full archives just to modify a couple of sprites.

This is how modding works for UFO:E and it's quite troublesome. I made some minor modifications and wanted to share them, but knowing that you'll have to upload a 300mo archive when your mod could have been shared in a 3Mo zip is a strong deterrent to do so.

Well, I guess unpleasant modding is better than no modding at all.

Realising that the information is probably already on the forum, I used my search-fu and looked up an old post from Giovanni. The engine uses a engine-specific archival format, so it's pretty unlikely that even something like 7-zip is going to be able to unpack it. I also looked up another post by Giovanni and mods are integrated into the new launcher.