Little mod I whipped up.

Sathra

So I play the game modded, and decided to share my changes with everyone. Then decided to make the tiers unique since there was some interest in it.

Changes:

Ballistics are cheaper to fire.

Lasers have better accuracy than anything else, but lower penetration.

Plasma does the most damage, but is the most inaccurate.

MAG has the highest penetration but is the most expensive to fire. Does slightly less damage than plasma.

Laser and plasma have higher shot costs.

MG's rebalanced. Ballistic is the cheapest to fire now, instead of most expensive.

Alien weapons are more inaccurate (but less than my other fix), and reaction fire is reduced.

Flares can now be equipped (acts a bit odd, as equipping a soldier with flares means they won't get two automatically in a night mission, don't weigh anything though).

Grenades are now 15 range, so should work better.

Flashbangs suppress more.

Smoke grenades are more effective.

Carbines now fire 4 shots in a burst.

More ammo per clip for later tiers.

MAG Carbine/Rifle switch fixed.

Can now research Shrike after Reactor, and AlienArmourPlating (I'm assuming that the item still drops from Cruisers).

Vehicle weapons also modified to keep with the tiers.

Plasma missiles do more damage (two should kill a Heavy Fighter)

The tier 2+ Autocannons do more damage.

Tier 2+ Weapons now cost Alenium to manufacture.

Alenium and Alloys worth more for sale (alloys are worth more because you get so much Alenium).

Income from selling alien weapons increased.

New

Medium Drone shot speed fixed.

Frag rockets are no longer the most powerful stun weapon.

C4 damage increased (forgot how high it should be, can anyone enlighten?)

Lethal grenades now do differing amounts of damage.

Feedback welcome. I think I may have been too gentle with the weapon modifications. Should be able to expand faster now.

File here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/20kcap30se5vus7/Sathra%27s%20Mod.rar

Zip here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dmvpzvllmylh8d/Sathra%27s%20Mod.zip

Edited by Sathra
Added more changes I forgot about.

I have to try this. Did you update the weapon's tooltip in the process ? (strings.xml)

Alenium and Alloys worth more for sale (alloys are worth more because you get so much Alenium).

Income from selling alien weapons increased.

So, basicaly we are getting more money from loots. Won't we have too much money once corvettes and cruisers appears ? Beside, I fear the income from founding nation becomes anecdotic.

Good job anyway. I'll give you further feedback once I test it.

EDIT: is the unlimited amo fix in this mod ?

Somewhat, though the changes are pretty minor and Alenium is used for more stuff so you can't just sell it all the time. It depends when you expand, and how far, as nation income can barely support a full main base and an interceptor base. Anything more and nation income can't support and you have to rely on mission income.

Haven't been able to test up to cruisers though, since it keeps crashing on landing ships for some reason.

Yep, ammo and grenade fixes in this mod.

Edit: Another Andron Cruiser. Got worrying a few times, even with all lasers since the only weapon that can reliably drop them in 1 burst is the Scatter Laser.

Edit2: Whoops. No I didn't update strings.xml.

Edited by Sathra

And did I really mix the shot costs up? . . . Nope, I didn't, I put a 2 instead of a 1. Completely different error.

Ah, my bad. Actually I quite like my self-revised 29 aimed, 21 normal for the M16 as I've found myself using burst occasionally now.

Although that throws out the M16 vs AK47 balance, not that that likely matters. Whilst checking into that I did notice that IRL the AK has a substantially lower practical RPM on full auto (two thirds of the M16's), although that's again not really important.

Can't normally get the AK47 anyways, since its a civvie only weapon, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'd have to increase the accuracy for the final shot much higher for it to be worth 29 TUs :P Its edging into sniper territory there, and would make it a bit too good.

The way it currently is (now that I've fixed it), its a quick, good accuracy weapon you can fire on the move. Pretty good for a rifle. Its just pretty terrible against armoured aliens since the laser weapons can power through the armour with sheer damage. And they hit more.

Edited by Sathra

Having tried out your mod last night, my method for breaching UFOs is now as follows:

1) Open door

2) Throw smoke grenade

3) Walk into next room, reaction shot misses

4) Throw alenium grenade, because it doesn't matter if that doesn't hit on-target.

5) Repeat 4) until all dead, aflame or both.

Commander Badass (neé Kei Kato) used to be a heavy weapons operator. She is now a full-time grenadier, working with her protégé Major Hardcore.

Got to have a good test for using Ballistics in mid-game. Team of rookies with no armour and ballistics vs a minor damage Caesan Landing Ship.

Its was understandably brutal (3 survivors out of 8) and I really only got through thanks to the MG's. MG's killed half the aliens, with the rest scattered between shotguns and precision rifles. Most of the MG kills were by accident, 2 deaths were from me trying to flank a suppressed alien with sniper cover (I made the same mistake twice ><). I think the aliens had something like 4 sniper rifles too.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, I had a great time. I learned some more about flanking and patience so it was pretty useful.

Then I got to play a Terror mission against Sebillians with my main team. 11 Heavy plasma rifles and 4 (later 6) Reapers have made me think the changes to Laser weapons to be pretty good. Sebillian Warriors are pretty scary with low AP weapons, and Reapers are terrifying. Got to try out plasma weapons too. In the hands of veteran troops they're pretty brutal, but the armour of the target still makes a difference. The number of times 4 shot bursts from carbines saved my team from Reapers....

Glad you're enjoying it Max. The later aliens can often still hit you even through smoke though, so its not all fun and games. I also just increased the damage of the later grenades tonight, so they should be even more effective!

If there's any interest (or I get bored), I'll remake this for the new version. With a few changes, such as more random aliens numbers and more variation between the tiers (more accurate laser bursts for one thing).

Alright, I'll whip a new one up a day or two after the new build is authorised (Have to try out vanilla before I start messing with it).

Edited by Sathra
heh, build build

Oh, and since I'll be making a new one, is there anything people would like to see? Feedback on changes, things that you think would be good, whatever.

Though granted, my modding ability is limited, though I will try messing around with strings.xml.

I'm thinking about making flashbangs about as good a machinegun at suppressing (which seems to be per bullet).

Edited by Sathra

This kinda follows on from your answer in my thread for info re: number of aliens. In those XML files in assets\ufocontents\, there's references to defensive and passive types of aliens, like "Caesan_NonCombatant_Passive". Has anyone else tried replacing them with aggressive (so "Caesan_NonCombatant_Aggressive")? It seems it makes them less likely to run as far away as possible and wait for the sweet release of death, but I suspect it might be a placebo effect.

They still run out of Xenonauts' LoS and take cover, but they seem more likely to snipe as much as possible. Anyone else willing to give it a try while we wait for Desura to authenticate the next patch?

Edit: Oh, yeah, I already mucked around with flashbangs, but I think the grenade bug might be affecting them...? I set their suppressionValue to 500 to test it out, but they don't always supress the basic lizard dudes.

Edited by Ol' Stinky
Typos.

Yeah, I tried that. The aggressive pose only seems to work with guard-class and higher. They're the ones who are likely to move around the map.

EDIT: Hoo boy, you need to do a couple of things with flashbangs. I tried them out when they were first introduced, and they haven't changed whatsoever. Here's my findings from version 13(!)

Edited by Max_Caine