X-Com player with some questions about Xenonauts - particularly the Geoscape.

I'm a huge fan of both the new and old X-Com games and I had some questions about Xenonauts, it's beginning to pique my interest. However, I must admit I'm actually a fan of the much-maligned strategy layer of the NG, since I felt it solved a fairly pernicious problem of the OG Geoscape. Here's the probem as I see it:

The new interception/sat/strategy layer in general was designed with the idea of correcting a significant problem with the OG Geoscape.

In the OG, as you expand your intercept coverage across the globe; you get an exponential amount of new contacts. To make the new bases payoff, you have to run a just gigantic amount of Downed UFO missions. It gets incredibly tedious by the endgame. I never want to play a version of XCOM again where I'm running a mission on UFO-123. It got to the point where I would attempt to splash UFOs over the ocean just so I wouldn't have to stare at the annoying white x's.

Additional intercept bases in the OG would increase the resources coming in since more downed UFOs meant more missions run, more loot to sell, and happier funding members. But as mentioned, it would also require a ton more tedious missions to be run on yet another Floater Large Scout.

So - instead of requiring the players to run all those missions, they instead just gave players cash, personnel, and continent bonuses for placing sats and limited downed UFOs to about 2 a month. I like this. I like not having to run 10+ UFO missions a month. Squad progression vs. Missions run is very nicely balanced in this game; not like in the OG.

I was wondering if Xenonauts addressed this problem and how. Will I be running a mission on UFO-123 in Xenonauts with the OG-style Geoscape?

The smaller UFOs eventually start to disappear, reducing the annoying low level missions. The in game explanation is that the other nations around the world are getting to the point where they can take care of the little guys, leaving the Xenonauts to take out the big baddies. It reduces the amount of "busy work" one has to do.

Oh, that's cool. I always wanted X-Com to feel like part of a larger effort instead of 14 guys single-handedly taking on the alien invasion. I read about local forces, and I liked that idea since I was always wondering in the OG where the army or police were.

Once you have global coverage, how many downed UFO missions are you running in a month roughly? Also, what time frame are we looking at to get the 2nd and 3rd bases up? In the OG I would get started on one with my starting cash to have it up by the beginning of Feburary.

Edited by UglyMug

Currently second base is in about 2-3 months of the start of the game. If you really push it you can get it up by the end of the first (but there won't be much in it). Later bases are easier with the extra income from bigger UFO's.

Monthly crashsites...hmm. Anywhere from 3-12. Really depends on luck with the spawns and what kind of spawn. Some UFO contacts don't create crash-sites, and as the game progresses the crashsites get bigger so its less of the 'oh god another large scout, I have power armour and plasma weapons' since the later ships are all bigger, with bigger and better armed crews.