I have not yet bought this game, but I am only delaying to avoid spoiling things for myself (sounds a little strange, what with having played original X-com and the new one - how different can things be, but I mean mechanics-wise). It all looks very promising and I just have a question regarding difficulty: I'm someone who plays at the hardest settings, and enjoys the challenge. I've beaten the original on superhuman, but the newest on Ironman Impossible too - which is much harder than the original at that setting! So, will this game have a suitably high enough difficulty available, and a near-insurmountable challenge? I would love that.

I only ask because I have seen a couple of videos, and there seem to be relatively few aliens - I realise its the smaller ships I'm seeing, and people are not always playing on hard difficulties, but the battlefields seem a little sparse in terms of alien numbers. Also, how is the AI shaping up? I would love seeing intelligent moves - the new XCOM has aliens that make pretty much optimal moves, admittedly that's because of the design decisions regarding a very gamey, cover-based model, which I'm sure most are familiar with, but still it IS good that they make those good moves. I understand this game isn't designed that way, but it would be great to see some clever AI movements now and then.

Keep up the great work, I look forward to beating another alien invasion!

At the moment there is only the difficulty level for development. So, there's no cast iron way of answering that right now.

What I can say is that the garbage collection guys are starting to complain about the number of Xenonaut corpses that they're having to dispose of, the bank is about to foreclose on Xeno-base, I never seem to have enough alien alloys and if one more of my soldiers get killed by one shot by a Big Alien Gun then I'm going to sulk.

These are all things, judging from your post, you will like greatly.

While there will be further AI development, I've lost half a squad to >spoilers< and nearly an entire squad to >more spoilers< so it certainly has it's moments even now.