You need an intact Landing Ship. Either minor damage or landed. That gets you the kit you need to research.

Incidently, if you want a second or third-tier dropship, you have to fiddle the researches.xml file. No way around it.

Remove a requirement from the requirement line (look for aircraft.dropship) . Without spelling out exactly which one, there are two, and it's not the corsair.

Okay, thanks. At what point in the game would I normally have access to it? (So I can kind of keep it the way it's supposed to be).

really? I was building a Shrike in the last build and I hadn't tweaked the files. Rich from the corvette bug to be able to afford it, but that was about it. Has that changed in this build?

why am I asking instead of checking? more mysteries, after the break...

It should be accessible after taking a Landing ship according to Chris.

The tier two one (the one you didn't mention in spoilerspace) is the one I got to without changing anything.

The only thing I have ever got from a Landing Ship was the Reactor. Even when I blew off terror sites and attack the landed landing ship instead! (And I notice that other people who as far as Cruiser etc. complained about the lack of higher-grade dropships as well).

The Landing Ship should have directional thrusters, as should some of the bigger UFOs. Or I might remove the requirement for it entirely. I forgot to choose which one to use before the beta, sadly.