Fishman

So, what other Squad Level Turn-Based strategies have you played?

I can say, I've played quite a lots of them:

- X-COM: UD

- X-COM: TFTD

- X-COM: Apocalypse

- UFO: Extraterrestrials (couldn't really get past certain poing despite several tries)

- Jagged Alliance 2, 2.5, Wildfire

- Silent Storm

- Silent Storm: Sentinels

- XCOM EU 2012

Games I've tried but couldn't really get into them:

- The UFO series with active pause - real-time and SLS don't mix very well.

- Fallout Tactics: BoS - as a harcore Fallout fan I was gravely disappointed this not being Fallout 3 and boycotted the game. Tried to play it lately - not that bad, but doesn't have "that something".

- UFO: Alien Invasion - played some early build, half of things weren't working.

- Some turn based Warhammer 40k game - meh

- Hammer&Sickle - RPG based on Silent Storm placed in Cold War theme. So much potential, so poor execution :(

The UFO series with active pause - real-time and SLS don't mix very well.

I personally LOVED those games. Except aftermath because fuck me, that game embodies undetected mid-end game imbalance due to no one play testing the thing before release. Their basic plasma gun was a splash damage grenade launcher that could one shot an entire tightly packed squad. Had rocket launchers with a magazine of six rockets and the refire rate of 0.5 seconds. The reticulans were SO overpowered the only way you could win is to toss a smoke grenade in the room which makes aiming impossible and then throwing all the grenades into that smoke and hope everything dies.

I personally LOVED those games. Except aftermath because fuck me, that game embodies undetected mid-end game imbalance due to no one play testing the thing before release. Their basic plasma gun was a splash damage grenade launcher that could one shot an entire tightly packed squad. Had rocket launchers with a magazine of six rockets and the refire rate of 0.5 seconds. The reticulans were SO overpowered the only way you could win is to toss a smoke grenade in the room which makes aiming impossible and then throwing all the grenades into that smoke and hope everything dies.

+1

I couldn't have said it better myself

ROFL

Took me a couple tries but I managed to finish Aftermath. The later levels involved a crapton of save-scumming due to the aliens with microslug. The rockets can usually be dodged (Bio Armour for EVERYONE) but those damn microslugs just rip people apart. Fun to use though with their massive damage, burst fire and huge clips.

Aftershock was pretty good, silly ending though.

I really enjoy Afterlight. So pretty and the battles can get really fun when you take the high ground and just spray gunfire in all directions trying desperately to hold the line.

UFO AI was alright when I played it.

UFO ET I've only played modded and its poor in some places, better in others. Still haven't finished it though.

EU2012 was pretty fun. Short though.

I loved Silent storm. Heard bad things about the sequels so I haven't tried them.

JA 2 I never finished but I enjoyed it.

Rebelstar Tactics Was just too weird for me.

Tactics Ogre Gaiden I really enjoy (sword and magic)

FF Tactics Advance I didn't really like, but it was okay.

Played all the original XCOMs, though I never finished any of them except Apoc. I just got to the point I could win, then restarted. I didn't like Apoc at first, then I tried turn based and found myself having alot of fun.

JA BIA I didn't like much. It seemed buggy or something.

Fallout BOS was pretty good I found. I did enjoy it with all the gore.

Probably a few more but I've forgotten the names.

I loved Silent storm. Heard bad things about the sequels so I haven't tried them.

The Sentinels are good, maybe even better than the original in some aspects. Harder, especially at the beginning, because you have very limited resources and everything costs money.

Hammer&Sickle is badly developed and much harder than the Sentinels. There are no clear goals in missions, and one bad decision or even missing some time-constrained event guides you to an inevitable path to failure. "Frustration: The Game" I'd call it. How would anyone think of it as a good game concept?

Kind of feel like playing Apoc again. Maps are too big when in turn-based but the fights are fun. Mainly because no-one can shoot worth a damn and end up shredding the battlefield. This includes the aliens.

What such games I played?

ALL OF THEM.

And it wasn't enough. So I modded them. And played them again. Turn-based or real-time with pause. 3D or 2D.You see something strange in this image?

ufoass1.jpg

For JA2

ja2stuffuf9.png

The ones I like the most (in no particual order)

JA2 (1.13)

UFO: AI

UFO: Aftermath (or was it aftershock? The second one)

X-Com: Apocalypse

Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate

FO: Tactics was good

JA: BIA .. good, but felt like it was rushed...especially the leveling/progression system was bad

UFO: ET was good

Frak.. I liked almost all of them.

Edited by TrashMan

I was a big fan of Chaos Gate, I install it every now and again along with the original x-com.

TFTD not so much, mainly because of how much I hated the cruise ship missions and accidentally taking the wrong equipment to a land based mission.

Apoc was also a great game in turn based, despite its flaws.

Played all of the UFO:afterthingy series but only really enjoyed the second one.

JA and JA2 were also among my favourites.

Plenty of others, both fantasy and military based, but the names don't really stick in my mind so they obviously were not as much to my tastes.

I loved chaos gate. It had great atmospehre. Nothing like rushing in with a squad of terminators.

THUNDERHAMMER AND STORMSHIELD BIATCH!

I even moded Chaos Gate a bit (mostly some balancing)

Oh, another gem I've almost forgotten about: Gorky 17 (Odium in the US).

Not exactly your typical turn-based strategy, as the maps were crampy and the combat was more Final Fantasy-ish, but nevertheless it was fun.

[video=youtube;FCM4qC6E4Q4]

And the one game, I'm almost sure noone here not being from Poland had a chance to play: Rezerwowe Psy (Reservoir Dogs) - a really awful Jagged Alliance clone that was more a work of satirical fiction on contemporary political situation than actual game.

181826428720110507231823.jpg

The billboard has....oh god.

Wearing hats ><

Belive me, that's just a tip of an "iceberg"... if you know what I mean ;)

It was actually a demote of contemporary political party election poster - in the original there were infants wearing hats ;)

Since you mention X-Com, have you seen Stellar Forces? It's a squad based TBS, just like the mission bits of X-Com. Graphics are a bit ropey but has tons of features. Android only though.

Besides x-com/tftd/apocalypse....

Does Valkyria Chronicles count? I still consider it one of the best ps3 games made.

I played the three original XComs and JA2. That's it. I consider the first XCom and JA2 to be masterpieces of gaming. I also played Laser Squad which was the forerunner of XComs tactical side. I would actually love to see a marriage and update of XCom and JA2 one of these days.

Valkyria Chronicles was awesome. I ordered the 400-page (!) full-colour art book for it today. I don't understand how they can sell it for £20 and still make a profit...

Damn. I don't own any consoles.

VC was the game i bought my ps3 for... (Although i had some more ps3 games i wanted to play, even i wouldn't buy a console just to play 1 game on it :) ) Never regretted it, i spent more than 200 hours on it (including clearing all of the DLC).

There's a ton of LP's of it on youtube, at least one of them should be good emnough to watch.

VC was the game i bought my ps3 for... (Although i had some more ps3 games i wanted to play, even i wouldn't buy a console just to play 1 game on it :) ) Never regretted it, i spent more than 200 hours on it (including clearing all of the DLC).

There's a ton of LP's of it on youtube, at least one of them should be good emnough to watch.

I've just never heard of any decent strategy games exclusively for a console. Skyrim is the closest I've heard of, but I can play that on my PC.

How about Wasteland? UFO: Enemy Unknown feels like a modern game in comparison. Wasteland featured one of the first in computer history persistent worlds. Guess what, you shut down computer, restart the game and things are like you left them. Cool concept :). And because programming space was scarce, most of the story was written in the manual - and game was just referring to a specific page.

There is a second part coming, 26 years after its predecessor - and also a Kickstarter! This time we are even going to actively participate in combat, not only watch text about how glorious fight we are having :).

I've just never heard of any decent strategy games exclusively for a console. Skyrim is the closest I've heard of, but I can play that on my PC.

Yeah, the only console strategy games i can think of are Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem... that's not much, they are all for different consoles, and most people think of them as JRPG before strategy. :(

It seems no one mentioned about Gorkiy 17. If you have not played it, I highly recommend to try. А pretty decent turn-based RPG.