While playing a night mission, my soldier could see the alien at night, but i could not see him as it was too dark. So the only way to find him was to click the Alien Sighted icon and it would center over the alien. From here, you must scroll around a bit to find your target, sometimes proving difficult especially if they have an obstacle in front of them and/or are behind cover.

It would be great if we could auto target the alien with Fire Mode. Maybe when i click the Alien icon while i have my xenonaut/hunter etc. on fire mode and have it point directly at the alien instead of having to scroll over him would be great =)

I second this. Playing a terror mission at night got to be a bit frustrating as my squad kept sighting enemies well into the black fog of war. In more than a few cases (as OP has mentioned) I had a bear of time getting the cursor just right to target an alien behind cover, or even worse a large prop such as a bus!

I seem to recall having to scout around for critters in the dark in EU1994 too. Not saying that was huge amounts of fun either, but at least this is in the spirit of the original :)

To a certain extent, but in '94 we didn't have the problem of the target cursor snapping to objects. You could auto-center on the alien and then fish around for a second or two and find the alien. In this case, I know exactly what tile the alien is on, but the game won't let me target him easily.

I'd like to note that I really don't like it when programs make my cursor go places for me. It's jarring and I hate it.

I'd like to second that. My input on this thread wasn't really for the auto target idea, but just saying that it's a problem and it needs a solution. Just make the Alien head clicking center the screen on the alien, that'd solve most of the problem. Except for when the textures are bugging out, like when there are Sebillians inside a buggy UFO that won't remove it's roof. That's annoying, let me tell you.