A few people have already found it (highfive), but I started up a play-through of Xenonauts in its current state several days ago. I've been doing update videos for a while but haven't had much time to really play it until recently, so it's effectively a blind play-through if you're into that sort of thing. I look at it as a way of seeing how intuitive and balanced it is for an X-Com veteran.

I'm not very far in it and I need to restart already (Hotfix 1), but I hope some people are willing to come along for the ride. I'll likely accept volunteered soldier names later on; for now I'm sort of enjoying the defaults. I could use some help tip-wise as far as research paths and all that goes, but try to keep the backseat gaming to a minimum ;)

I intend to keep it going throughout beta. Some updates will probably break the save but that's fine. It depends on what the update does, but I may just get back to where I was off-camera if nothing in the early-game was modified heavily. Chances are I'll try to continue where I was and just refer to an update video for the details.

Edit: Celebrating Steam release; started over due to popular demand:

Edited by ClosetYeti

I've watched a few of your FC3 vids and you should definitely name one of the guys Jason Brody so whenever some crazy shit goes down you can be like: "Omg Jason Brody noooooooo, Jason Brody...why Jasonnnnnnn...!!!". :P You should use your most obnoxious tone of voice.

Edited by Jean-Luc

Yay! A thread for this. I was watching one yesterday after the TFTD ship mission. Picked up a tip for the interception screen already.

Did I see that you went to the equipment screen for a grenade rather than the quick load bit of the main screen?

There was something else, but it escapes me now.. bah.

What doesn't escape me is grenading the civilian which was a laugh out loud (with all sympathies to the families of grenaded civilians) X-Com moment.

Like the default names? Yet want to give a nod to the forumites? Look no further than soldier #18 from the pre-generated list...John Thothkins!

Details on using the list here

Did I see that you went to the equipment screen for a grenade rather than the quick load bit of the main screen?

Yeah, I did that a few times. Force of habit. I need to use the pistol for snipers while they move into position as well, or give them the smoke grenade. Wasn't 100% sure about the accuracy hit when they move but it makes perfect sense. Always learning..

Oh, and leaving the unarmed guys in the Chinook was also funny. Not in a laughing at you sort of way so much as it's nice to know I'm not alone in that. Although, oddly enough not in Xenonauts. Probably because I use the Strength exploit so I'm in there every post mission adding on a grenade :)

How are you capturing your videos for this? I used to have fraps, but if I go to their website they claim I don't have an account and I refuse to give them money again.

Hypercam 2 is free now, if you don't mind paying attention whilst installing and having to ignore a bazillion ads whilst using the program.

Also, The Pirate Bay.

How are you capturing your videos for this?

I use fraps for everything. DXTory is becoming a popular alternative, but I've heard horror stories. A nice thing about DXTory is that it can record separate audio devices (you mic input, the game audio, skype) and separate them so you can adjust their audios in post, but I've heard of it cutting out audio, stopping recording, chopping it up.. nasty things.

I think it's in beta, though. I'm loosely keeping my eye on it. Fraps has been tried and true and is what I trust. I tried some freebie ones (Bandicam, Hypercam) but the .avi produced was corrupted when it was imported into Premiere. Never again... :P

You should consider doing post-commentary for your videos. Get something like Audacity (which is easy to use and I can help you out with it if you need) to record your audio. That way you can concentrate on playing the game when playing the game and doing commentary when doing commentary. The nice thing about Audacity is that there's noise removal and auto-ducking and a bunch of other really great features and it's free. It should also make editing really easy too.

You should consider doing post-commentary for your videos. Get something like Audacity (which is easy to use and I can help you out with it if you need) to record your audio. That way you can concentrate on playing the game when playing the game and doing commentary when doing commentary. The nice thing about Audacity is that there's noise removal and auto-ducking and a bunch of other really great features and it's free. It should also make editing really easy too.

Was this directed to me? lol

Yes. Not a criticism, just some hopefully helpful advice.

No, not a problem! I'll always take feedback :D Do you do videos, too?

I've used Audacity since day one - it's great free software and does what I need it to. I haven't found a reason to get Pro Tools (I think that's more for music, really). My process consists of using my preamp's high pass filter for rumbles and buzz and my compressor to prevent clipping. I combine Audacity's noise removal with a noise gate to eliminate background noise, mouse clicks, and keyboard presses while I'm not speaking (sometimes there's a compression artifact left behind but that's pretty easy to spot and manually remove).

I generally do audio balancing manually in Premiere, though. How does Audacity's ducking work commentary-wise? I'm not sure I'd know how to set it up without playing back the video and using Virtual Audio Cable to loop the playback into input for Audacity and try to record over it multi-track style. Then again, I might be thinking too hard :P

As far as post-commentary goes, I did that for the Xenonauts update videos after a while but I hated the scripted feel of it all. I've always been a fan of improv; it's more natural for me.

Edit: I feel like this may start getting off-topic; feel free to message me over YouTube or something :)

Edited by ClosetYeti

I heard of this game thanks to your channel on youtube about 2 years ago Yeti, been following your LP's ever since. Just I'd thought I'd say thankyou fella.

Thanks, but I think I passed the one year mark somewhere in March and the first Xenonauts video being last September :P Nonetheless it's good to see the videos are getting out there and bringing some traffic into Goldhawk ^.^

Thanks, but I think I passed the one year mark somewhere in March and the first Xenonauts video being last September :P Nonetheless it's good to see the videos are getting out there and bringing some traffic into Goldhawk ^.^

Really? It's only been a year?! wow divorce can really make your life a drag :/ Thought it's been 2 lol, all the same cheers dude.

P.S. when you gonna do fallout 2?

P.S. when you gonna do fallout 2?

I think I'm off Wednesday night.. *scratches head*.. within 60 hours or so? Hard to say for sure. Should be getting my hours brought down a bit (Easter lasted extra long for some reason) so there ought to be a lot more stuff going up. Aiming for Xenonauts and Fallout 2 next chance I get to record.

Also, yes. It does feel a lot longer than just a year. It's hard for me to watch my old stuff :P

No, not a problem! I'll always take feedback :D Do you do videos, too?

I've used Audacity since day one - it's great free software and does what I need it to. I haven't found a reason to get Pro Tools (I think that's more for music, really). My process consists of using my preamp's high pass filter for rumbles and buzz and my compressor to prevent clipping. I combine Audacity's noise removal with a noise gate to eliminate background noise, mouse clicks, and keyboard presses while I'm not speaking (sometimes there's a compression artifact left behind but that's pretty easy to spot and manually remove).

I generally do audio balancing manually in Premiere, though. How does Audacity's ducking work commentary-wise? I'm not sure I'd know how to set it up without playing back the video and using Virtual Audio Cable to loop the playback into input for Audacity and try to record over it multi-track style. Then again, I might be thinking too hard :P

As far as post-commentary goes, I did that for the Xenonauts update videos after a while but I hated the scripted feel of it all. I've always been a fan of improv; it's more natural for me.

Edit: I feel like this may start getting off-topic; feel free to message me over YouTube or something :)

For auto-ducking you just need two or more tracks. Select the section of the game music track you want ducked and then just select Auto Ducking from the effects menu. Then you configure the ducking and Audacity does the rest. You can select the ducking level and how long you want it to take to scale down and scale up audio separately. It's a really great tool.

Also, I have done some videos, but my audio's not quite as nice as yours. So I guess you helped me.

I think I'm off Wednesday night.. *scratches head*.. within 60 hours or so? Hard to say for sure. Should be getting my hours brought down a bit (Easter lasted extra long for some reason) so there ought to be a lot more stuff going up. Aiming for Xenonauts and Fallout 2 next chance I get to record.

Also, yes. It does feel a lot longer than just a year. It's hard for me to watch my old stuff :P

I know how you feel. I almost have to mute myself when I watch my old videos. I did mine different, though--I can't really talk while I play. I tend to be very focused and I can't talk intelligently and play intelligently at the same time.

Yeti, I like the videos - good stuff. I am a total noob to Xcom and would like to test the Beta and record my impressions from the perspective of someone who has no knowledge of the original game. Can I ask how you upload video to You Tube. Does it just take hours to do, or is there a way to compress the file and upload quicker?

When I've done videos in the past (no longer than 6-7 minutes) they would upload in minutes. Nothing remotely like hours.

Sounds about right. I know a lot of people record with fraps and simply drag the raw video file into YouTube - that'll take hours, maybe even days.

I use Adobe Premiere to edit and its encoder to render videos to a smaller, compressed size with minimal loss of quality. Premiere's expensive though, and probably not necessary for gameplay stuff. I'm sure one could use Windows Movie Maker, although I don't have any experience with it.