German Translation - Update Thread

So, this is going to be the thread were I will be posting any updates, changes and information on what I did and where I'm at in the translation process. I'd like to ask people to refrain from posting in this thread if possible and post suggestions, questions and further requests in the seperate German Translation - Discussion thread. This will help keep this thread focused on information.

Files ready for testing will be posted in this thread, as soon as I deem them ready for consumption.

So, without further ado lets start with the first update news.

Update April 8th:

I've been working on refining translation for the general and Xenonauts related terms in the strings.xml and put them in my reference file. Currently there are quite a few terms for which I have several possible translations, for those I would need help from both the community and Chris to help decide which ones should be used in the final version. I will post those terms in the discussion thread, each with a short description, to show my thoughts and what the meaning of the german words are for those not speaking German.

For this week I plan to continue work on the Xenopedia entries, as those will be the main bulk and the hardest part of the translation. In my preliminary tests I already translated the first few entries that could be found in the Xenopedia (e.g. F-17, MiG-32, Alien Invasion). As I already detailed, I will try to work in a chronological fashion, both because I think that most of the early description that are already in will not change much (if at all) and because to me it makes more sense. It will also help testers to follow the escalation and not have to jump to and fro to test/check the translation.

I will probably be doing translation work from monday through friday (or saturday depending on the week) and do some editing/checking on sundays, so I can post up files for the monday updates. Naturally, I'll be using the latest game version to do this, which is why I might sometimes need a quiet day (like sunday) to adjust for new entries or updated files posted with the new version. If nothing is barring the way I should have the first files ready for testing up next monday.

Okay, now that the first update is out of the way on to the discussion thread and let's decide on the German localization on some of the terms that do not have a distinct, easy or good-sounding translation in German.

Update 14.04.2013

Okay, it is time for the second update.

I've been mainly working on translating the first few entries for the Xenopedia this last week. Currently the following entries have a first, basic translation:

[*]F-17 Condor

[*]CH-48 Charlie

[*]MiG-32 Foxtrot

[*]Craft Autocannon

[*]Sidewinder Missile

[*]Avalance Torpedo

[*].50cal Machinegun

[*]Hunter Armoured Vehicle

[*]Jackal Combat Armour

[*]Alien Invasion

[*]Alien Biology

[*]Alien Alloys

[*]Alenium

[*]Alien Plasma Technology

[*]Alien Plasma Pistol

[*]Alien Plasma Rifle

[*]Caesan Autopsy

[*]Sebillian Autopsy

Naturally I'll have to stress here, that this is the first and not the final version of the translation. Feedback, however, is still welcome, but remember that mistakes (and possibly quite a lot of them) are present in the texts. Any Feedback should be posted in the Discussions thread (or PM me if you want to keep it quiet), to keep this thread clean and focused on updates.

I also had a look over the strings.xml of Version 18 and I tried to copy paste what I had already translated for the 17.91 version, but it turned out to be more time consuming that anticipated, as quite a few entries have switched positions. They all seem to be still there, but they are in the wrong (so to say) places, so adjustment has been slow and is not finished for this update. This means that if you use the strings.xml in the below linked .zip-file, that a lot of the entries will still be in English. Adjustment is underway and I try to finish it by next week.

For the time being, however, I've also put in the 17.91 strings.xml, which, as it is just a file for text calls, should still work fine with version 18 for most of the game. I named it stringsDE179.xml, if you'd like to use it, remember to rename it to strings.xml.

Please make sure that you read the Liesmich.txt/Readme.txt supplied with the .zip-file, as it contains information on installation and additional subjects.

For now I'm using zippyshare to upload the files, as it is a free, fast and easy to use service for sharing of small files. To make sure, I also downloaded the file after the upload and ran a virus check, just to make sure it is a legit service. No viruses/virii/whatever have been found.

As a small reminder, if you are using a downloadmanager (l use Free Download Manager) or at least the one I'm using, you may not get a file named Xenotest.zip, but just a file call Null, without any extension. Do not worry, the file has downloaded okay, but apparently zippyshare doesn't like FDM. To remedy this, just rename the file to xenotest.zip and it works as normal from there.

Also remeber that, as zippyshare is a free service, the file will not be on their servers indefinitely, it will be deleted after 30 days of inaction, so there might be a time when this file is not available anymore. However, right now this should not be too much of a problem, as I'll be posting frequent weekly updates.

When (and if) the translation is finished and Goldhawk approves of it, it might be bundled with the game, which eliminates the need for file sharing services alltogether.

Okay, here is the link to the file, checked for working condition and for viruses/virii/whatever, so download and enjoy if you like and post your feedback in the appropriate thread.

http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/53254207/file.html

Finde ich klasse das du das machst. Hätte ich ein bischen mehr Zeit, könnte ich dir helfen.

Mach auf jeden Fall weiter so :)

Du kannst helfen, einfach die Dateien mal installieren und damit spielen und im Diskussionsthread Anregungen, Kritik oder Fehler mitteilen. Natürlich nur wenn du magst. Selbst kleine Fehlermeldungen können hilfreich sein. :)

Also remeber that, as zippyshare is a free service, the file will not be on their servers indefinitely, it will be deleted after 30 days of inaction, so there might be a time when this file is not available anymore. However, right now this should not be too much of a problem, as I'll be posting frequent weekly updates.

You can use dropbox or google drive, it will stay there as long as you want it to stay. It's a better alternative for such small-traffic frequently-updated stuff. And a lot easier to manage.

Update 3 - 23.04.2013

"So, no update yesterday and no new files today, what is up with you, man?"

That might be a question that crops up. Well, I was about to post the update yesterday at 11:00pm when I came back from work, but this throbbing headache I had suggested that it would be far better to take an Aspirin and go to bed. I took the advice that my headache gave me.

Last week I also haven't been able to do a lot of translation work, for several reasons. I had morning shift last week and in those weeks I'm usually more tired than in late shift weeks, as I go to bed far too late than is good for me. I'm just that what you call a night owl, like to stay up late and sleep in if I can. So, tiredness, is point one.

Point two is games. Besides playing a lot of Xenonauts for research into the current progression of research projects (which essentially make up the Xenopedia entries) to keep the translation progression based, I've also been playing a bit of Battlefield 3, where I finally tried out the last DLC/Content updated and some more Rocksmith, to improve on the songs I've been learning to play there, more or less play that is.

What are my current goals for this week? I plan to do a first translation for the following entries:

• Hunter Rocket Turret (no text yet, easy translation :) )
  • Alenium Explosives (same thing as Rocket Turret)
  • Stun Weapons
  • Sebilian Analysis
  • Alien Interrogation
  • Alien Alloy Fabrication
  • Laser Weaponary
  • Wolf Ballet....uhm, I meant Battle Armour
  • Pulse Lasers
  • Rapid Fire Lasers
  • Reaper Autopsy
  • Alien Heavy Plasma Rifle
  • Alien Electronics
  • Corsair Interceptor
  • Scimitar Support Tank
  • Electroshock Grenade

Depending on how well it goes I might be able to finish all or only part of those entries. I'll also have to find a few or at least one Ceasan that wants to be introduced to either Stun grenades or the Cattle prod. Same with the Reaper. The first one I haven't seen in a while and the latter ones I'd rather not want to have too close to my guys and girls for obvious reasons.

Well, anyway, that is my game plan and I should have an updated file up for your consumption and critisim next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Wird es den (ich nenn es jetzt mal "Deutsch Patch") dann erst beim Release des final Xenonauts geben ? Also wenn es sozusagen offiziell released wurde oder ab wann kann man den Deutsch Patch nutzen ? (Also ich meine jetzt eine Version die komplett oder nahezu komplett alles übersetzt wurde)

Falls du vor Release schon einen Patch zur verfügung stellst solltest du dann aber immer unbedingt dazuschreiben für welche Version (zb. v18.3) des Spiels die Dateien sind. Oder spielt das keine Rolle ?

uhm, xenonauts sollte komplett in deutsch von selber spielbar sein zu release.

Was er jetzt macht ist für uns während der beta, da diese english only ist.

Oh, dann hatte ich das falsch verstanden, ich dachte das das dann sozusagen für den Release verwendet wird und hier für Chris quasi die Vorarbeit geleistet wird. Danke für die Info.

Also, nach dem was Chris im Forum gepostet hat, hätte er zwar gerne eine deutsche Version zum Release, aber es wird wohl keine möglich sein. Vorerst geht es ihm darum, dass Spiel fertigzustellen und Geld für einen professionellen Übersetzer ist zur Zeit auch nicht vorhanden. Ja, die kosten Geld. Weiterhin ist bei einer solchen Person eine gute oder angenehme Übersetzung trotz des Geldes nicht garantiert (siehe diverse Filme, Spiele (auch von nahmhaften, gutbetuchten Publishern und Bücher).

Ob ich bis zum Release eine komplette Übersetzung schaffen werde oder kann, weiß ich noch nicht, da ich erstens keine Kenntnis über meine Motivationsstände habe und zweitens der Releasetermin noch nicht bekannt ist. Ich werde zwar tun was möglich ist, aber die einzige Garantie dich ich abgeben kann ist

Die strings.xml und xenopedia.xml kann man eigentlich in jeder Version nutzen, da sie nur das Ziel von anderen Programmteilen sind um Texte oder Textteile abzurufen. Wird der Text nicht gefunden wird er entweder gar nicht angezeigt oder nur ####, die restliche Funktion des Spiels wird dadurch nicht beeinflußt. Natürlich ist die aktuelleste zu bevorzugen, da hier voraussichtlich alle Links zu den Textbausteinen enthalten und, hoffentlich, auch richtig verlinkt sind (Tippfehler und ähnliches können immer mal passieren). Da man die Dateien auch ziemlich einfach austauschen kann, kann man jederzeit und ohne Gefährdung eines Spielstandes mal die Übersetzung ausprobieren (natürlich immer vorher Originaldateien sichern).

Ansonsten hoffe ich, dass ich nächsten Montag endlich mal wieder ein Update habe. In den letzten zwei Wochen habe ich doch einige Zeit eher für mich aufgewendet, was aber auch verständlich ist, wenn man bedenkt, dass ich für diese Überstetzung meine eigene Zeit opfere und auch keine Bezahlung hierfür zu erwarten habe oder verlange.

Analysis is for live aliens, which they don't have. They do for Autopsy though.

Actually they don't, but I didn't have them in my translation plans anyway. I have the Sebillian Analysis though, which is the only species with an analysis right now and I have the Reaper autopsy, which also has a text.

Also, nach dem was Chris im Forum gepostet hat, hätte er zwar gerne eine deutsche Version zum Release, aber es wird wohl keine möglich sein. Vorerst geht es ihm darum, dass Spiel fertigzustellen und Geld für einen professionellen Übersetzer ist zur Zeit auch nicht vorhanden. Ja, die kosten Geld. Weiterhin ist bei einer solchen Person eine gute oder angenehme Übersetzung trotz des Geldes nicht garantiert (siehe diverse Filme, Spiele (auch von nahmhaften, gutbetuchten Publishern und Bücher).

Schon bischen schwach das ganze.

Ich hatte ihn am Anfang noch gefragt und er sagte auf jeden Fall deutsch, französisch und noch eine andere.

Mir ist klar das es alles Geld kostet, aber dann hätte er es nicht vorher sagen sollen.

Da werden sich bestimmt noch einige beschweren, sollte es keine Ãœbersetzung geben.

Und nicht jeder hätte das game unterstützt wenn es keinen deutschen Texte gibt.

Nicht weil sie es nicht möchten, sondern weil sie nicht mit der englischen Sprache zu 100% zurecht kommen.

Ich verstehe Englisch soweit auch ganz gut, aber wenn es dann an die Xenopedia geht, wäre da deutsch doch angenehmer gewesen.

Aber wie gesagt, ich finde es trotzdem super das du dich darum kümmerst und ich würde auch helfen, aber habe derzeit leider nicht mal Zeit zum spielen :(

Yeah we'll definitely do a German version. Germany's the biggest market for strategy games in Europe as far as I'm aware.
Sadly not. This is something we'll add at release rather than during development. A lot of the translation is done by the local distributors anyway as part of of the distribution deal.
Edited by shuuk

When there is no german language in the game when it will be release i will also be a little disappointed. That was one of the points that made me preorder the game. I can read some english, but the research and xenopedia stuff is really hard to read for me because of the technical terms. Maybe Chris can clear this point and say if there will definitly be an german language at the release or if they will do this after the game is released (or he waits till the community will do this for him...)

When there is no german language in the game when it will be release i will also be a little disappointed. That was one of the points that made me preorder the game. I can read some english, but the research and xenopedia stuff is really hard to read for me because of the technical terms. Maybe Chris can clear this point and say if there will definitly be an german language at the release or if they will do this after the game is released (or he waits till the community will do this for him...)

As I previously said, the main problem for the translation are twofold.

1.) Chris has to finish up the texts first, before he can even consider giving them to a professional translator (that is if a professional translation is planned) and he might even have to reformat them, which takes time.

2.) Money. I just looked it up and a professional translator can cost you from 1,00 EUR to 4,00 EUR per 55 characters easily, depending on the difficulty of the text, even if they get an hourly wage, you can expect it to be often upward of 40 EUR, which in the case of Xenonauts will come down with a few thousands EUR to pay.

Because of these reasons I believe that a German language version will not be available at release, but rather some time after that. In what form it will materialize is still unclear and for Chris to decide.

• 1 month later...

Ja bischen blöde von Chris zu sagen, eine deutsche Version kommt definitiv und jetzt doch nicht.

Egal was sowas kostet oder nicht.

Da sollte man sich vorher informieren bevor man solche aussagen tätigt.

Bin ein bischen genervt davon, aber egal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi erstmal zusammen,

ich würde eine Übersetzung anstreben will allerdings nicht gegen die Uhrheberrechte von "Xenonauts" verstoßen.

Erbitte eine freigabe zum Ändern der Dateien (Xenopedia & Strings).

Ich würde mich auch über bereits übersetzte Texte anderer Tester feuen. Um die ganze Sache zu beschleunigen.

Finde ich gut, dass sich hier Leute an eine deutsche Übersetzung wagen. Die Xenopedia in Englisch zu lesen ist schon sehr anstrengend. Laut der Aussage soll es ja diesen Support für die Community geben, dass Fremdsprachen integriert werden können. Ich mag micht irren aber dann sollte einer Übersetzung doch nichts mehr im Weg stehen.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/5115-Translating-Xenonauts-A-Guide-(and-our-plans-to-support-it)

• 3 months later...

Momentan ist das Spiel auch nicht so gut verkauft, logisch, ist ja nicht fertig.

Aber wenn das Spiel mal released ist, wird es sicherlich unter den ersten Top 10 sein, sofern nicht alle Gamer niveaulose Ballerspieler geworden sind.

Ich bin ein alter Gamer und liebte die xcom Teile, dannach gab es einige ähnliche Spiele, die versuchten Xcom zu kopieren.

Wirklich geschaft hat es keiner...BIS HEUTE und ich bin wirklich sehr überrascht.

Denn Xenonauts, spielt sich GENAUSO wie es Ufo enemy unknown tat, nur eben mit einigen Verbesserungen!

Ich bin so froh, dass jemand den Mut hatte, diese Sparte zu füllen, zumal es immer weniger von solchen Spielen gibt.

Ist ja leider klar, aufgrund der immer größeren Gamergemeinschaft, zocken immer mehr "primitivere" Ballerspiele anstelle von langwierigen Taktikspielen.

Kann ich auch verstehen, manchmal habe ich auch total lust auf ein Ballerspiel wie Battlefield, es sind und bleiben aber anspruchslose Spiele im Gegensatz zu einem Xcom (mit ausnahme vom 2012er XCom).

Eine deutsche Version wird es von Xenonauts unter Garantie geben, sofern der Mod. Support da ist.

Es wird sich schon ein Xcom fan finden und wenn nicht, probiere ich es zu übersetzen, mir ist das nämlich wichtig.

Auch die heutige Generation soll ein xcom ähnliches Spiel haben, meiner Meinung nach fängt Xenonauts das Feeling sehr gut ein, ich hoffe nur, das fertige Spiel wird eine bessere K.i. usw. besitzen.

Fertig ist es ja noch lange nicht.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Hmm.. mir sind Ãœbersetzungen normalerweise nicht so wichtig und ich bevorzuge die Originalsprache.

Aber wenn Leute für die Übersetzung fehlen sollten und es ein paar Leute gibt die es wirklich gerne übersetzt hätten, ... Ich hab Englisch studiert und sollte eigentlich damit fertig werden.. (^^,). Aber erst müssen sie noch die ungereimtheiten in der Gamemechanik noch ausbügeln

• 1 month later...
As I previously said, the main problem for the translation are twofold.

1.) Chris has to finish up the texts first, before he can even consider giving them to a professional translator (that is if a professional translation is planned) and he might even have to reformat them, which takes time.

2.) Money. I just looked it up and a professional translator can cost you from 1,00 EUR to 4,00 EUR per 55 characters easily, depending on the difficulty of the text, even if they get an hourly wage, you can expect it to be often upward of 40 EUR, which in the case of Xenonauts will come down with a few thousands EUR to pay.

Because of these reasons I believe that a German language version will not be available at release, but rather some time after that. In what form it will materialize is still unclear and for Chris to decide.

55 chars = 9 words on average which will cost 0.63 € @ 0.07 €/word (including proofreading/QA).

Repetitions and fuzzy matches come with a discount (which usually amounts to 20% overall).

Example: 1000 words = 70 € minus 20% = 56 €.

Game translation agencies will charge more than that, but that's about the rate their translators (who are hired by the agencies) will work for.

I can offer some help with proofreading the translation (for free).

If you need any help please contact me at 5ev3nand9@gmail.com