unequipping limited quantity gear

Bugs aside, you don't need to make enough laser weapons or armour to equip every soldier (at least not right away). Of course, it's also very costly to make that much armour and weaponry. What I find myself doing is making 4-5 rifles, and 2-3 each of the other weapons, plus enough armour to equip an entire squad.

If your soldiers get wounded and removed from the ship, they are unequipped--all well and good. However, if I want to rotate troops through for experience, there's no simple method to return their gear to the stores. It would be handy if the personnel screen offered a button to remove all gear. Another option might be unequipping troops who aren't assigned to a ship, but that might be annoying if I actually had enough stuff to equip everyone.

It would be handy if the personnel screen offered a button to remove all gear.

while this may be buggy at present could you use the Change Role for this?

Set up a Sloth Role with no equipment. When selecting it, would that force the other equipment back to stores?

Yes, that works fine. It's just clunky--first because switching roles and equipment takes too many clicks currently and second because you have to cycle through your whole garrison to find who has that laser rifle equipped. Besides, usually I choose who will go on the Chinook from the personnel screen, not from the loadout screen, because it's easier to see who needs experience. That, and you can't even tell if someone is wounded in the loadout section.

I was really, really hoping that roles would form part of the new UI for exactly that reason, taking the place of the armour column. Can't recall if it made it in there. It really makes sense to have a single screen telling you who does what in your squad.

Ideally, you should even be able to change the role form the personnel screen, but I'd take just the roles being in there at all.

This is one thing that really bugged me in the recent EU release. I frequently went into a mission without my preferred equipment because I couldn't be bothered deselecting one guy and then rotating through everyone else to find out who had the piece of equipment I was after.

I suspect I will be taking Xenonauts more seriously, and will go through the hassle if I have to, but would prefer a simpler approach.

If it's possible to even write the code this way...

A solution I would like would be to register all gear equipped to soldiers who are not on the Chinook in the base armoury/inventory. So if I'm gearing up my men, and three soldiers with jackal armour and laser rifles are just chilling in garrison, I can see/use the three available jackal armours without unequipping them manually. Or just a simple "unequip all" button/option for soldiers not on the Chinook.

As long as the pop up allows you to choose which soldier you are going to unequip then that would be acceptable.

I disagree that pop ups are very clear by definition.

They can be if they are done well but that it not always the case :P

A pop up in this situation that gives insufficient information or a chance to change your mind is pointless for example.

Bad popup example.

'You just took Jackal armour from someone else'.

Better example.

'Do you wish to remove Jackal armour from an unassigned soldier? Select which from this list or click cancel'.

See, plenty of scope for popups to be very clear or very poor.

If you could take equipment from unassigned people it would need to be clear when you were doing it and who would be losing their gear.

Accidentally stripping your garrison just before a base invasion could lead to unexpected fun.

Fair enough. I've actually never had a base defense, so I'm not sure how equipment even works for that.

Mission loads, opens up to a deployment phase which lets you decide where to place soldiers before the mission starts proper (unless loading from the mission start autosave).

Don't get to select what to gear to equip your troopers have though, which I think is meant to happen.

I'm not sure that you are meant to be able to equip the troops, as it stands just now. I had the feeling you would get whatever they had from the soldier screen?

I have had unequipped Xenonauts get at least a rifle to carry around, so you don't start the mission with nothing.

So a tip may be to equip even the soldiers who aren't assigned to a Dropship in case they have to defend a base.