Reason for Forced Save Game on Hardest Difficulty Level?

What's the rational behind forcing a no save policy if the hardest difficulty level is selected? Ironman mode is available as an option for those that want it except in this case.

I do enjoy extreme challenges but I seldom care to play long games that don't permit multiple saves. Inevitably, there's some bug that will corrupt a saved game or render it nearly unplayable. Power outages, cats on keyboards and external distractions also come into play here. I've lost too many games in the past to such things and decided I had enough of that.

Basically as things are now, I'm either forced to play at an easier level or figure out how to mod the game to alter a feature that should probably be optional.

Edited by Akavit

I actually would like the highest difficulty to have ironman more be turn-offable. Maybe because I'm a masochist and want to lose horribly every mission, but not lose the game lose horribly. You know what I mean?

I'm okay with it either way.

If you decide to leave it the way it is, maybe you could just tell us the file (if there is one) that we'd change to turn off ironman mode for the hardest difficulty, so we can have the fun we want but it doesn't change the game at all.

Well, that doesn't change the fact that once they are all spread out and made different, Iron Man mode is still compulsory for the hardest difficulty. Right now I don't care if it is for the highest because all are equal. But, once I've beaten a game, or at least played through more of it and know what to expect, I want to be able to play it on ungauddlike mode (sorry for the pun there ;)) and still be able to save my game how I want.

No player saving allowed but an autosave at the end of a game month or some such?

I thought the highest difficulty would be Iron man on the Insane level. Iron Man in itself wouldn't change the difficulty of the level chosen? So, if you want the flexibility, then it wouldn't really be iron Man and you'd just play it at that Insane level that allows you to save when you like?

Yeah. All it does is mess with the ability to make and load saved games. So, why should we be limited to that game mode if we want to play the ultimate terror chris can throw at us? If we want to make it super evil, we can turn iron man mode on. It can even be checked by default, I wouldn't care. I just want it to be optional, not compulsory on the hardest difficulty. If we can't change that, then at least give us the location in the code where we can change that boolean from true to false, or whatever it is.

Please, Chris?

Pretty please?