Line of fire obstructions close to shooter

There are times when an object close to the shooter blocks what appears from a bird's eye view to be a clear shot. It seems reasonable that a shot attempt would be auto-inhibited in such a case...as in a shooter being 'aware' that a portion of the dropship tail section will block the shot. Especially when they're firing a rocket munition. messy...veeery messy.

In this instance the forensics lab recreated the tragic event and determined that all but the smallest sliver of the red trajectory path indicator was obscured. This ultimately led to a finding of no negligence on the part of the eye-in-the-sky mission commander.

Or am I missing an important nuance of the experience asking that the soldier not comply with the 'fire' order in such instances.

Well, soldiers will fire where you tell them to fire, whether they hit their target or not. That's part of the beauty of it, really.

Some times it looks really dumb because you shoot an invisible wall (usually around the UFOs, yeah), but I think we've got to live with it, though. If we could make it so that it was transparent to bullets in some fashion, then it'd be much more user-friendly.

Gizmo, I can see your point. The only issue that leaves for me is even when my soldier takes a step to the side for a clear shot (i.e. stepping from behind the Hunter) a shot parallel to the Hunter and showing a green trajectory path still impacts it. What am I not understanding about shot clearance? Does the shooter have to be two tiles away from the obstruction?

The answer lies within the accuracy formulae that Xenonauts uses, in combination with the way shot scattering is handled fused with unusual formulae results. Basically, if the to-hit roll results in a shot scattering so badly it scatters down a different path completely, then (using your example) it will hit the Hunter.

TL;DR all the links, there's work to be done on how shots and shot scatter is calculated.

It may also be down to the accuracy calculation itself in some cases.

As far as I can tell if the shot path passes through any part of an occupied tile, no matter how small a part, then the stopping chance of that object is used to determine if the shot passes through the tile or stops and does damage.

As the vehicles have a high (or even 100%) stopping chance then the shot path clipping through a corner of any tile occupied by the vehicle will look like a clean shot but will in fact be a guaranteed hit on the vehicle.

The actual image of the vehicle is irrelevant, the whole tile is classed as being filled, even if there is only part of a wheel and an aerial visible to you.