[v18 - Ground Combat] missed shots hit adjacent square

A sebilian stepped out of the UFO and stood facing my assaultwoman. To her right was a rifleman. I had her take a snap-shot at the sebilian, but she pivoted and killed the rifleman. I had her try again, and she turned again to shoot his corpse. Finally I took a regular shot, and she shot the Sebilian. If you're wondering how this story ends, she died to reaction fire.

I'm not sure if this is some sort of bizarre targeting bug for combat near the UFO or if it's just a missed shot.

I have noticed that shooting from point blank (next tile) or 1 away seems to miss alot (and will shoot the adjacent tile). 2 or more tiles away and shooting seems much more effective.

This would be cool if it is a feature and the shooter is equipped with a rifle. In that case this could reflect that shooting a rifle at a (presumed) moving target at close range is harder than from a distance.

This penalty should not affect pistols or shotguns (ie. they hit more often than rifles at close range) and should be even harsher for heavy weapons (MGs and rocket launchers).

Maybe this already is handled by hit % and in that case this is just a bug ;)

Considering it was happening with Carbines on Burst mode its pretty odd. Might just be due to the hit chance being, at most, about 35%.

That said, of a dozen times against Reapers, maybe 6 shots (total) actually hit the Reaper. I make a point of walking casually away now before opening fire.

With just a regular rifle, unless you're wrestling with your enemy you don't have a lower chance of hitting them in real life. The only time that could happen is if the barrel is too long, and tiles are just under 5' x 5'. Plenty of room to accurately fire.

The reason why the deviation is so extreme in this case is that if you miss, you can't shoot through your target. Thus from one tile away the only option is to shoot through the tiles on either side of them (hence why your guy shot his friend on the adjacent tile).

So I don't think this is actually a bug.

Maybe make misses more rare at that close of range. Like, only from the adjacent tile. It'd make running up right next to them give you a higher hit chance (but I agree with the above post, only for pistols, shotguns, the like. Longer arms, it wouldn't work nearly as well. leave those alone), and thus there would be a reward for getting super close and friendly with the guy, but then you are basically at his mercy if you don't kill him right off. I'd appreciate the interesting gameplay, at least. It would allow more variety then sitting back and shooting from afar (not that that's the only way to do it now, by any means), and it would fix the shots missing from one meter away (which is a little ridiculous). There'd still be a low chance to miss, it wouldn't be a guaranteed hit, maybe an 85% for snap (shotgun), and a 90% chance or something for aimed. But only from that adjacent tile. two tiles away, you're out of luck for the almost-auto-hit.

Edited by GizmoGomez
various corrections I missed the first two times

The reason why the deviation is so extreme in this case is that if you miss, you can't shoot through your target. Thus from one tile away the only option is to shoot through the tiles on either side of them (hence why your guy shot his friend on the adjacent tile).

So I don't think this is actually a bug.

I think you should consider changing the close range (1 to 2 tiles) misses to "hits" that do 1 or 0 points of damage. That will make it look way more reasonable. It seems to me this would not take much re-coding either. We can just figure it was a "flesh wound" or graze. I'd be very unhappy about killing one of my troops that wasn't even in the arc of fire. The same could also apply to the aliens. You've pretty much fixed the longer range problem with this last release. Edited by StellarRat

A sort of related thing: Aliens standing in front of the single-space interior UFO doors (like the one in the Scout that leads to the bridge or the two similar ones leading to the bridge in the Corvette) seem to not get hit by shots that look like they hit. Should I report this as a bug?

Sounds to me like you guys and Chris might be talking about two different things. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking the complaint is about situation A and Chris was talking about B

A

OX

OXA

Lower X shoots alien, hits soldier X (90 degree shot) up above, or even as one person posted, turns 180 degrees and shoots the ground, presenting his back to A.

B

OOOX

OOXA

Lower X shoots at A, but turns 45 degrees and shoots at X

And if you are both talking about situation B, could we at least not be penalized a TU for turning? The worst part is, just turning your head can trigger reaction fire. (or could in 17.91)

Sounds to me like you guys and Chris might be talking about two different things. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking the complaint is about situation A and Chris was talking about B

A

OX

OXA

Lower X shoots alien, hits soldier X (90 degree shot) up above, or even as one person posted, turns 180 degrees and shoots the ground, presenting his back to A.

B

OOOX

OOXA

Lower X shoots at A, but turns 45 degrees and shoots at X

And if you are both talking about situation B, could we at least not be penalized a TU for turning? The worst part is, just turning your head can trigger reaction fire. (or could in 17.91)

Oh yes, fix the turning triggering reaction fire. That didn't happen in EU.

A sort of related thing: Aliens standing in front of the single-space interior UFO doors (like the one in the Scout that leads to the bridge or the two similar ones leading to the bridge in the Corvette) seem to not get hit by shots that look like they hit. Should I report this as a bug?

I've noticed this too. There are some bizarre LOS issues near the entrance of the light scout. Despite what the graphic looks like, there's a tile or two you just can't shoot through to either side of the door.