Beta!

So Build V18 marks the semi-official beginning of beta on the project. As I stated in the V18 thread, this doesn't mean that the game is finished, but rather that it is possible to play the game from end-to-end and we don't have any more integral features left to code. Instead, our focus has shifted to improving the usability, stability, and tweaking the design to make the game as fun as possible.

The community has been of great help in development so far, but it can be of even more help during beta. Previously a lot of "bugs" or complaints people have raised were due to features that we hadn't finished implementing, but the only major missing part of the game at the moment is the updated user interface. Everything else is now fair game to suggest improvements on.

I will be creating a special beta sub-forum with threads for:

• Geoscape Balance discussion
  • Ground Combat Balance discussion
  • Missing animations (where a unit is invisible, displays the wrong animation or appears unarmed when it is definitely shooting at you)
  • Missing text strings (displayed as ####)
  • Missing sounds

These will be created fresh with each build, with the old ones put in a sub-forum. This is to ensure that we don't miss things because everyone thinks it is a "known issue" and stops reporting it. A UI issues thread will follow once we've put the new UI in place.

Feel free to post general things in that forum. There are absolutely no restrictions on spoilers in that forum, so feel free to post whatever you like in there about advanced aliens or technology and my answers will not have any filters on them.

I will probably post a work list soon of features we want to implement in the beta. The biggest one will be the new UI, which we may start to import in V19 as we've now completed 3 of the screens and are working on the fourth...but right now the current UI lets you play the game fine, so it's not holding back the balancing at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not referring to the UI. (User Interface) Icons and buttons info, stat, screens. Just the background the sea in the geoscape.

Such as ocean colored Blue or Blue/green as apposed to the way it is now, no ocean just back. It was discussed in an old thread.