Steam Early Access

Hey guys, I just bought Xenonauts, the premium since I want to support development of indie titles. For me the indie has saved PC gaming. Can't wait to get my hands on the Steam release, Kerbal Space Program and Prison Architect took that step and it looks like it has been working out for them. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work for Xenonauts.

Edit: How and when will I get my forum badge, I want to feel special. :D

My 2 cents: I preorderd back when their was only one level; preorder. When the split happened, and I was offered the opportunity to lower my order amount I didn't, not to have a "premium" preorder, but because I was willing to pay the $30 without extra incentives. So this erosion of value doesn't concern me.

It was exactly the same with me :) If i have the money i'm always willing to use it to support people who deserve the support. If there are no additional benefits i do it for a better feeling ;):P

It was exactly the same with me :) If i have the money i'm always willing to use it to support people who deserve the support. If there are no additional benefits i do it for a better feeling ;):P

I do it out of a self-serving desire to have the best possible end-product available to me. The fact that everybody else gets the same high-quality product is an added bonus, I suppose.

Here's an idea, you could have shoutout to premium preorderers in the endgame credits! I'm sure those guys who paid $500+ in kickstarter campaign won't mind ;)

I'm just happy I was able to support this game early and now I can see my extra $10 went towards making a great game!

Premiums should be the only ones able to get it on Steam :P Kidding!

Idea: If you could allocate the extra paid for premium to a feature, night our for the Dev's or something that would be great! Then we could say, see that? I did that! :D and if people get fussy just give them a steam achievement or something.

Im happy with my Medal, and my game on Steam Thank you!

Edited by Tango
Formatting

He's entitled to his opinion. Ideas about what we can do to improve things would be helpful though.

How about our real names added to the Xenonauts soldier roster? It should be easy enough to implement and I'm sure it would be more than enough reward for the extra 10$.

Also, I have the game preordered but I never registered it or played through Desura. Will I still get the email or do I have to do something else?

How about our real names added to the Xenonauts soldier roster? It should be easy enough to implement and I'm sure it would be more than enough reward for the extra 10$.

Also, I have the game preordered but I never registered it or played through Desura. Will I still get the email or do I have to do something else?

No, because Kickstarter backers paid upwards of $100.00 for that, so it's not fair to those people who gave that much if all of a sudden you only need to spend $30.00 on it.

To be honest, I didn't even remember what was offered for premium users until I read it your post, Chris.

Usually I'm that guy who buys things for 2,50€ on steam sale, but this project needed support and I was willing to support it and that's it.

Just to throw my 2 cents into this conversation.

There is a catch with changing things around retroactively: People who previously did not see a value in opting for the premium package, might suddenly feel that they are missing out on something they would want, that simply wasn't offered to them before. This would result in those players feeling let down, betrayed even, which would only be worse if anything game changing (map tiles, soldier art, etc) would be offered, as it would inherently devalue their previous "purchase".

I really do not envy the goldhawk guys on this one, as this is most certainly a tough nut to crack.

My advice would be this: whatever you offer, make sure it has nothing to do with the actual game. No tilesets, no faces, no flags, no fancy loading screen.. etc. Doing this would just - even if done with the best of intentions - would simply just backfire.

Additionally, you might want to offer people who previously opted for the standard preorder, the possibility to upgrade to premium, giving them the chance to change their choice in light of what the premium will contain. Again a double edged sword as you would have to make sure its not too tempting, as then people would be screaming about how they are "coerced" into upgrading. :)

If there is one constant about players, it is that we can never be completely satisfied, no matter what you do, we will always find the small dirty spot on the shining white suit to complain about :).

So be very careful with retroactive changes as those have the potential to severely mess things up on the PR front. :) Oh and YAAY for steam, and YAAY for beta. I'm just waiting for the beta fog to clear up a little before I make my final approach.

I wouldn't change anything.

Offers change all the time.

I don't expect Valve to refund me because a game I bought last year is on sale at the moment for 25% less.

I also don't expect them to give me that 25% discount now because a game was on sale last year.

The same applies here, plus I also paid for early access to the alpha, access to the private forum (when it existed) and so on which I have received and enjoyed.

The forum medal was a KS offer, along with other offers at different tiers, so it is natural to expect those offers to be unavailable after the KS ends.

If all premium pre orders have access to what was offered during the KS would that be acceptable?

That is basically the digital soundtrack, official wallpapers, and digital dev diary on release.

Nothing there states that those rewards will not be available to the general public some time after release though so I saw them as a sort of pre access.

I'd very much enjoy the dev diary, I think it'd be interesting to see what kind of madness the devs went through to make this game.

Wallpapers would be cool, but less interesting to me.

Although, I didn't show up until after the kickstarter, so maybe since I didn't pay for those tiers, I shouldn't get them. I dunno.

I do agree, though, the game should not be changed any from standard to premium, though. That'd be unfair.

No, because Kickstarter backers paid upwards of $100.00 for that, so it's not fair to those people who gave that much if all of a sudden you only need to spend $30.00 on it.

My humble opinion is that some things are worth far more than their monetary value. The people who preordered supported the game at a time when most people didn't even know it existed. Not only that but they actively helped spread the word. When Chris said that the base game will be cheaper and gave these people the option to get some of their money back, most of them refused because they believed in the project and wanted to support an independent developer. What isn't fair is saying to these people, who already proved that they don't put money first, "yeah you're less valuable to us because you paid less".

What isn't fair is saying to these people, who already proved that they don't put money first, "yeah you're less valuable to us because you paid less".

I'm not sure any of the previous posts actually suggest that in any way.

Each of the pre order levels and the KS tiers have an associated set of rewards.

Some of those rewards were only available to you if you paid above a certain threshold.

The post you quote points out that taking rewards from a higher tier and giving it away to everyone who paid less would be likely to cause some bad feeling on the part of the higher backer.

For example having your name added to the soldier name database cost $100, which may have been the only reason someone paid $100 for a $25 game

Having that handed out at the $30 tier may well have persuaded them to ask for $70 back, especially as the game has not even been released yet so the rewards have not been delivered.

It isn't about labelling people as less valuable, it is about making sure people get what they paid for and that your customers don't feel like they have been given a raw deal.