Steam Early Access

My humble opinion is that some things are worth far more than their monetary value. The people who preordered supported the game at a time when most people didn't even know it existed. Not only that but they actively helped spread the word. When Chris said that the base game will be cheaper and gave these people the option to get some of their money back, most of them refused because they believed in the project and wanted to support an independent developer. What isn't fair is saying to these people, who already proved that they don't put money first, "yeah you're less valuable to us because you paid less".

I'm gonna back Gauddlike up here, because I made the original point. At the time of the Kickstarter, I had already purchased the game, way back on the original site and around the time it was first available to give them money. When the Kickstarter happened, I looked at the tiers for the rewards and decided not that I wanted an extra copy of the game, but that I wanted to support the game and if I get something cool out of it that's rad. So I started thinking, "hey, I'd like my name in the game," and then saw the next tier and though, "and I get to choose a face to associate with myself?" and finally saw and picked the $200.00 tier, getting a picture of me in the game. Now I'm soldier 63 whenever my portrait gets finished, and I look pretty awesome from what I've seen.

But let's say I got the $100.00 tier instead. That still entitles me to my name in the list of soldiers. If that hadn't been part of the $100.00 tier, I would not have purchased at that tier. I would have purchased at the lowest priced tier which got me the poster, which is $50.00 or something. So the fact is, at the $100.00 tier, I paid ~$50.00 to have my name added to the list of soldiers. That's not including the $20.00 I paid for the game, the $20.00 I paid for the poster, the $10.00 I paid for international shipping and the extra $10.00 I paid because I believe in the product.

And now your suggestion is that people who purchase the game at the $20.00 price-point and add the extra $10.00 because they believe in the product are entitled to a privilege for which I paid $50.00. If it was me, I wouldn't be fazed by it, because just adding a name is no big deal to me. But I'm a pretty reasonable guy most of the time about this sort of thing. Most people act like children when it comes to money. Like little toddlers throwing a tantrum. So I think it would be sour-grapes for a lot of those people who paid an extra $50.00 to get their names in the game if you started giving it away to people that only paid $10.00 extra for the game. You're devaluing those people who joined the KS campaign and paid their $50.00--discretely devaluing them--by essentially giving away the thing that they paid for. And make no mistake that it is the thing they paid for, because there are four or five $100.00 tier options, and the name added to the game is only present as one reward among those reward options.

Edited by Assoonasitis

Fair enough, but as I said earlier it's not about money but about loyalty and faith. The Kickstarter crowd paid money with a specific reward in mind, the people who preordered at full price back then did so because they believed in the project.

Edit: Just to be clear, I only care about the game and not any rewards. Chris asked if we have any ideas and I just thought it would be a cool gesture. I think the Xenonauts community would be mature enough to accept this small token of appreciation but if not, that's ok. I just want to play the finished game, everything else is unimportant.

Edited by admiral

I understand that. I just feel it's wrong to utilize that logic for the people who willingly gave more money to Goldhawk without any sort of promised reward.

The logic is that if people paid for something then they should get what they paid for.

It is never wrong to utilise that logic across a whole customer base if you want to maintain your reputation.

The premium pre-order always had an extra something promised, even before Goldhawk knew what it might be.

From the current Goldhawk website (although the old site said something similar back when I pre-ordered in 2010):

STANDARD PACKAGE:

- Access to play the latest development build right now!

- A Steam or Desura key for the final game on release day!

PREMIUM PACKAGE:

- Access to play the latest development build right now!

- A Steam or Desura key for the final game on release day!

- A custom title and badge on our forums!

- Other possible unannounced goodies!

The only time the 'possible goodies' were really clarified was with the kickstarter.

Given that information I would suggest that as long as the kickstarter rewards for premium are fulfilled for all premium pre-orders (KS, post KS, and pre-KS) then everyone has been treated fairly.

If they decide they don't want the digital goods offered then they are free to not access them

If the person paid with no view of an additional reward then they would not be fussed if they weren't given an additional reward.

However if someone else paid a higher amount specifically for a reward they may feel like their investment was devalued by this.

That to me would be unfair treatment, just not of the original pre KS backers.

Fair enough, but as I said earlier it's not about money but about loyalty and faith. The Kickstarter crowd paid money with a specific reward in mind, the people who preordered at full price back then did so because they believed in the project.

Edit: Just to be clear, I only care about the game and not any rewards. Chris asked if we have any ideas and I just thought it would be a cool gesture. I think the Xenonauts community would be mature enough to accept this small token of appreciation but if not, that's ok. I just want to play the finished game, everything else is unimportant.

If it was just me, I'd be right there with you, believe that. But I spent three years working as a Customer Service Rep for one of Ontario's two largest media companies, and two of those years working Internet billing and if there's one thing that I learned it's that adults are anything but mature when it comes to matters involving any non-zero amounts of money. Again, I think it'd be a cool gesture, but I doubt many of the people who paid even more extra for it would be quite so understanding.

I'd agree that not playing around with the kickstarter tier awards is a good thing. People should get what they paid for, and should not see it devalued before their eyes, even if for the best of reasons.

Jean-Luc posted :

Premiums should get a free copy of Dinner Dash. Those "in the know" will know why.

On the link, it said it had been enhanced. I was expecting Sebillians to blow the heck out of the diner as part of a terror mission. :)

When will the forum badges end, once it's on Steam?

I may just buy the game a second time to get a nice gold badge. I haven't even really played the game yet and may not even like it, but I really appreciate what independent developers do and when I think of the dog turds I've played over the past twenty years that cost me £50 each, it only seems fair to help out in this way.

I just have one request if I do go on and commit 87% of my waking life to Xenonauts over the coming months/years, please do retain your communication with the community and support of the game. When companies fail to do this (such as with XCom-EU) it makes me not want to play anymore. I'd rather play an imperfect game that I knew continued to be worked on and believed in, rather than a something rushed to market and then silently abandoned.

Jeez, what a way to find out that Assoonasitis is an alien infiltrator pod person. I feel so guilty for following his..sorry it's... posts now :)

Remember guys. Don't fall asleep while looking at the Xenonauts forums...

Apart from some time for Chris to jump up and down shouting "I'm free of it! Free I say!" and some therapy breaks, I would also be surprised if we heard nothing more.

Xenonauts development has been ridiculously inclusive, which has been a huge plus in following the game.

I don't think Chris will silently abandon Xenonauts.

I reckon it will be released with a full throated roar and the sound of wheels spinning on tarmac as he heads off for his first decent holiday in years.

If it is abandoned at that point it will be to the sounds of him screaming in torment as he realises he has to do this all over again for Xenonauts 2: Fright From The Depths 3D HD.

Wow, to go to all of that trouble to get massive reconstructive surgery, then to go straight into a forum where someone has exactly the same face. How embarrassing is that?

Unless hosser has had massive reconstructive surgery too? Maybe the doctor is really good, but can only do one face?

Anyway, I've arranged for a gentleman to deliver your new avatar. Here he comes now...

invasion3.jpg

invasion3.jpg

invasion3.jpg

invasion3.jpg.30d1380935b1d4a3019e0e2f75

steam ! ah sweet heaven.......just dont give it workshop ..number of times ive downloaded a mod only to have next steam client update screw my save game.....

think having my nice silver badge to lord it over non badgers is enough.....gold is so tacky and green name..thothkins has one how elite can it be?