Build V18 Ground Combat Balance Discussion

Ugh. I know that you're not supposed to be able to throw things forever, but please make flares about five times more accurate and let me pick them up and throw them again if they land in bad spots/ trees. I'm not sure if I can pick them up, but I can't see the object on the ground, so I assume not.

Ugh. I know that you're not supposed to be able to throw things forever, but please make flares about five times more accurate and let me pick them up and throw them again if they land in bad spots/ trees. I'm not sure if I can pick them up, but I can't see the object on the ground, so I assume not.

I second that, also the same should be polished out with the grenade arc in my opinion, there's been many times where a clear line of sight still results in a grenade usually hitting the closest peice of cover/ your own men.

Also in regards to the 2 pre-placed light scout crash missions I've found on a few occasions that they are spawning very far from your base, sometimes too far for your chopper to reach, meaning you miss the tech anyway.

For some reason it freezes up on the trainyard light scout mission by the second or first turn, you hear 2 plasma pistol shots, then a window breaks and it freezes from that point, I've had that occurance 3 times now so thought i'd point that out to see if I'm not alone on that.

Also: Aliens are still shooting through the walls of their ships at me. I cannot play the game like this.

Same here, however the game itself is much smoother in how it plays, also the aliens appear to be doing their old trick of spawning in cover again as well as being able to shoot through walls. at least the autosave is working :P. Also just had a crash on the first new medium scout crash map I had.

You can tell this game is coming together beautifully though, just a few kinks to iron out

Can someone get a video of this "shooting through the walls" happening or something? In the missions I play, the aliens are shooting out of the shroud at me (because they have squad sight, just like the player) but they are running outside their ship before they do it...

I find that the aliens seem to have a near endless supply of time units at the moment, I've seen one ceasen stuck in a light scout computer shoot twice during his turn because he could see my men, (so I would assume the alien would have to save points to make reaction shots) only to have 3 reaction shots against my men in my turn and shoot the same amount of shots at me in his following turn, it's making advances in CQB and UFO's unfairly punishing in my opinion.

I love the apprehension you get with each movement into blind territory but it only seems fair that if my men have to reserve TU's to shoot in the alien's turn the same should apply to them.

I find that the aliens seem to have a near endless supply of time units at the moment, I've seen one ceasen stuck in a light scout computer shoot twice during his turn because he could see my men, (so I would assume the alien would have to save points to make reaction shots) only to have 3 reaction shots against my men in my turn and shoot the same amount of shots at me in his following turn, it's making advances in CQB and UFO's unfairly punishing in my opinion.

Agreed. the amount of times i seen an alien move fire at me twice and then end there turn and once it is my turn still fire 2 or 3 times with reaction fire. im starting to wonder if alien reaction fire actaully comes out of the aliens time units or if it is just something they can always do no matter how many time unit they have.

I'm encountering something where I can 'see' aliens in the fog-of-war. Is this typical or a bug?

Basically, the little icon indicating I can see an alien appears, I click on it, it centers on an area still blackened by fow, and I can shoot the alien (after trying to find it with the cursor).

I'm encountering something where I can 'see' aliens in the fog-of-war. Is this typical or a bug?

Basically, the little icon indicating I can see an alien appears, I click on it, it centers on an area still blackened by fow, and I can shoot the alien (after trying to find it with the cursor).

Are you playing at night? Because that could be a factor. I get that but they are in a darkened part of vision not in pitch black tiles, I'm assuming it's just at the edge of a soldiers vision is why you can "see" them.

Are you playing at night? Because that could be a factor. I get that but they are in a darkened part of vision not in pitch black tiles, I'm assuming it's just at the edge of a soldiers vision is why you can "see" them.

It might be the night thing... still weird. Maybe do something to contrast night tiles and fow tiles. Just a shading change?

The night thing is a little flakey right now in my opinion. I can identify that there are aliens in the FOW (the lighted "ALIEN SPOTTED" symbol turns on), but it's very difficult to actually get the target cursor on them unless you can light them with a flare. If you mess around enough with the cursor eventually you can see it change to the red firing cursor and commence firing, but it's caused me to waste alot of time trying to figure where to shoot. Definitely not user friendly. I think Chris should consider , brightening spotted aliens, putting a halo around them, a targetting box, or some other symbol on the map to indicate where these spotted aliens actually are in the FOW. Either that, or it's just a bug and the alien shouldn't have been spotted in the first place.

Edited by StellarRat

IMO, we're going to need a hot fix for the smoke bug and the shooting through objects bug before any good discussion about ground balance can be made. Right now my guys are getting shot left and right because cover isn't helping them much.

Agreed, with all of the above.

Guys, the issue with smoke seems pretty easy to workaround. After a bit of testing, it looks like something has borked when handling stun damage. All you have to do is alter the gas.xml file and set stundamage to 0 for all smoke types (and the weapons_gc.xml file will probably want altering as well). I'll put up my modded gas.xml file a little later.

Anyway, just played v18 for the first time, I say that I like the shot path. It has really helped in working out exactly why my shot is no good. Might I suggest that once a weapon is out of range, the green dots go red?

EDIT: Rather than all the green dots go red, could they go red at the point where the weapon is out of range?

Probably should go yellow for out of range, not red (since you can still shoot).

I love the apprehension you get with each movement into blind territory but it only seems fair that if my men have to reserve TU's to shoot in the alien's turn the same should apply to them.

I kinda disagree. Pull out a pistol and see how many times you can fire it without moving. My guess is at least 5, as this alien did.

Guys, the issue with smoke seems pretty easy to workaround. After a bit of testing, it looks like something has borked when handling stun damage. All you have to do is alter the gas.xml file and set stundamage to 0 for all smoke types (and the weapons_gc.xml file will probably want altering as well). I'll put up my modded gas.xml file a little later.

Anyway, just played v18 for the first time, I say that I like the shot path. It has really helped in working out exactly why my shot is no good. Might I suggest that once a weapon is out of range, the green dots go red?

EDIT: Rather than all the green dots go red, could they go red at the point where the weapon is out of range?

Max whereabouts do I find the gas.xml file? looking in assets folder now and I'm in a little over my head here :/

Probably should go yellow for out of range, not red (since you can still shoot).

I kinda disagree. Pull out a pistol and see how many times you can fire it without moving. My guess is at least 5, as this alien did.

That's a bloody good point actually! I had'nt even considered that, feel like a bit of a muppet now. :P