Xenonauts Squad Amount Question

Desired Xenonauts Squad Amount  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Desired Xenonauts Squad Amount

• A small Commando Unit (2-5)
    • A decent, versatile force, like it is now (6-10)
    • A larger, meat grinder-y platoon (11-18)
    • Who was that guy who died? (19+)

Those numbers sound good to me at the moment, given my experiences with terror missions, landing ships and aliens bases. In fact I just came from getting scragged after downing a sebilian landing ship and getting swarmed by sebelian soldiers with burst firing, really-far-too-accurate heavy plasmas.

On the other hand, I'm thinking the number of enemies per mission is too high right now as well. Literally given alien craft capacity. The very first mission I did was a light scout (as usual), where I killed four plebs getting to the craft, then had to deal with a further three inside. I really found myself wondering where they all stood during the flight. I actually sniggered when the research description said they came with a crew of four.

Failing any change, I vote for a mod to replace all references of alien craft to alien clown car. [grin]

Edit: For clarification, I was woefully under-equipped. Eight soldiers in the Chinook, still with ballistics though they did have wolf armour at least. Trying to balance weapon production against Corsairs is still something I'm experimenting with.

Edited by Elydo

For a single engagement, I think 10+1 vehicle is a fair number for fighting landing ships, cruisers, and carriers. Haven't encountered anything larger yet.

I think having to manage 2-3 squads throughout the game would be ideal (at the end of the game, I would like to have 40-50 xenonauts employed).

I would like at least 3 fire teams. There is a reasons most real world military organizations squads are composed of 3 fireteams. 2 fire teams to lead the assault and 1 fireteam behind to help which ever team hits resistance first. If they had much more then 12, then most mission the extra soldiers would be on dropship watch... Too many would take away from the challenge and be annoying to have to move them all.

I'd prefer a mix between smaller and larger mission sizes. Perhaps alien base assaults limit you to smaller craft to avoid base defense systems, whereas for terror missions you can bring your full death squad in your mega-chopper.

I like missions where i have just a few soldiers, but also miss the large scale terror battles from x-com.