Hi Guys First time poster

As the title suggests I have a few thoughts Id put out there and see what you think. If anything I have suggested has been posted I apologize.

I'm not sure if any of have played Ufo: Alien Invasion, Its a Open source game with alot of ideas I like and was wondering if it was plausible to add and if not why don't you think it would work.

1. Jets Customizable. Basically you can add electronics to your craft IE: Weapon tracking systems that give 25% hit chance or ECM Jammer so you could dodge incoming threats or even Advanced Composite Components that might give extra Armor that would make your craft last longer but the downside make there Top speed or cruise speed slower.

2. Weapons. I thought this was quite a cool idea. Grenade launchers for example have more modes of fire such and Air-burst basically there's an alien behind cover you can shoot it releasing a hail of metal on him. Another mode of fire was timed in which the gun was fired and the Projectile didnt explode until it stopped and Ufo:AI some maps are uneven and follow the path of least resistance.. I even had a "oh shit.. well.. Should have known that would happen" moment where I shot it inside a House only to kill my squad and a few Civies

3. Pilots. I know this is in the FAQ on why you guys don't think it would work I'm just putting it out there. Pilots that would gain experience therefore becoming better at dog fighting with the enemy. Which brings another idea if your pilot has been shot down and if he survives (Ejection seat -could be another customization where if your craft is shot down has something like 15% chance to live) there could be a Search and Rescue mission to bring him home before the Aliens find him. Like something where you have full vision of where he is and you can control him. The pilot only equipped with a Handgun or nothing where you have to bring him back to your craft for extraction or just kill everything.

4. Weapon Proficiency . In Ufo:AI the more you use a weapon class the more proficient you get with it. Just say you use Assault rifles exclusively for 1 of your soldiers he will go in time from Poor to good to great or even Not Competent to Competent. Gaining modifiers such as slight aiming bonuses to better reaction times.

Thats all I can think of to add atm if I come across anymore things in which may improve this game Ill just add it to this as of now Id like to know what you think of these ideas

Your not the first one to suggest these things...

1. is not going to happen because the air combat isn't the main focus of the game.

2. I believe the reason grenade launchers weren't put in was because indirect fire would make the ground combat easier.

3. see 1.

4. Characteristics already do something similar to this. Want some to carry a rocket launcher or machine gun, hire someone with high strength want a sniper pick someone with high accuracy etc.

Hi Confidor, thanks for the ideas. For 1 and 3, the problem with it is that the air combat is meant to be a relatively simple minigame and with numerous different human interceptors and a variety of different weapons for each one, it is already difficult to balance. I don't want to make it any more so, particularly as I'll be adding an auto-resolve option during the beta.

For 2, I'm always opposed to indirect fire weapons because it means you can kill aliens without having to expose yourself to harm in return. I don't think it fits the tense nature of the game.

For 4, this is an interesting idea and were we not making a fairly straight X-Com remake we might consider it. But I don't want to stray too far from the original in terms of key mechanics in this area, as that's not really the point of the project.

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I completely understand about the jets and balance. As for the indirect weapons you could limit there maximum and minimum range. Alter that they must be shot without being in cover, Using them indoors pose a serious threat to personnel and civilians.

As for number 4. I just mentioned this as it could bring more strategic consequences. Just say you have 4 guys injured all being riflemen, the next few missions could prove difficult as you have to chance a heavy that's very competent in his role into a riflemen that's Mediocre.

I love what I'm seeing with this game. Being a veteran of the original using Dos and 3 /12 inch floppies and Using the codes from the manual to get into the game.. Wow that brings back some memories.. Keep up the great work.

Chris has confirmed that grenades are not working as intended.

They don't arc over intervening terrain in the way they should.

The objection is to adding other weapons like grenade launchers.

However grenade is a bullet type in the files so grenade firing weapons could probably be modded in later, although probably not with a burst fire mode.

Chris has confirmed that grenades are not working as intended.

They don't arc over intervening terrain in the way they should.

Hugs and hugs and hugs. Although tbqh smoke grenades are pretty OP at the moment. Since you can... ya know, empty a scout by pouring smoke through the walls. All in good fun since AoE stuff doesn't seem to check for walls yet.

If someone does mod in grenadelaunchers they need to give the Aliens similar weapons as to balance it out otherwise you can start a mission with 8 grenadiers and just blow the shit out of everything!

Atm I believe human grenades should be almost completely useless Vs the tougher aliens

Any decent modder would balance the weapon so that it was not the only viable choice.

That would be up to the modder and the people who used the mod though.

Incidentally if aliens also had grenade launchers that would not significantly affect a persons decision to only use 8 of them himself as far as I can see.

The weapon would require careful balancing to fit into the range of weapons available rather than replace them, again that would be up the modder and his intentions for the weapon.

He may actually want to make a weapon that is completely over the top, then the decision on how to use it becomes yours if you use the mod.

Drifting away from the topic though, might be best to move this discussion to its own thread if there is more than needs to be discussed.

always nice to see these again, as I agree that the game would be better with them. 1 was part of Apocalypse and added to the game rather than detracted from it.

Apocalypse also had engineers and scientists with skill levels. Pilot skills is only a step away, and would have been a nice progression.

At the moment I'm losing troops to heavy plasmas. They appear form nowhere, scoot across the map (ignoring cover in some places) and simply wipe my soldier form the face of the earth. It's frustrating more than anything else. So, if both sides rely on them even more, that would probably only get worse. Even with a limited range, I'd just start peppering the enemy positions while working my way through flanking cover. If there's no cover, I'll just blow them up from afar. Hopefully, before they do the same to me.

Being able to customise the roles and types of fire was ruled out as it blurred the roles that each weapon type has in the game. This works pretty well. I know I still have at least one of every type in my squad.

As for 4 I did a post back in the mists of time that touches on that, at least within the framework of the current game. Here it is

Regarding #2, Xenonauts has one key thing that UFO:AI does not: destructible terrain. This really matters for indirect fire weapons. In UFO:AI grenade launchers are primarily outdoors weapons, but if they could be used to punch holes in walls and flatten interior areas, they'd quickly become overpowered. What works in one game often breaks another.

Regarding #2, Xenonauts has one key thing that UFO:AI does not: destructible terrain. This really matters for indirect fire weapons. In UFO:AI grenade launchers are primarily outdoors weapons, but if they could be used to punch holes in walls and flatten interior areas, they'd quickly become overpowered. What works in one game often breaks another.

Wouldnt Break it by any means. grenade launchers in UFO:AI had a limited range. Any standard Rifle could out range them. To be effective one would have to be in range of a hostile or an ally using it strategically to create flanking opportunities. Or Even to go further with the weapon to have some form of suppression feature just like any LMG could.

If someone does mod in grenadelaunchers they need to give the Aliens similar weapons as to balance it out otherwise you can start a mission with 8 grenadiers and just blow the shit out of everything!

Atm I believe human grenades should be almost completely useless Vs the tougher aliens

You could limit the weapons range E.g having 1/2 the effective range of a standard rifle as an example. Having 8 grenadiers on the field would be very risky.