Manufacturing time and balance

Interceptor's plasma torpedo launcher with unlimited ammo producing 8 hours (one full workshop)

Plasma grenade (same technology tear, single use) producing 1 day 16 hours (same workshop, 5 times longer!)

Isn't something not right here?

Corsair interceptor needs 60 days to produce (Ok, 15 days in my 4-workshop main production base).

It's only a 2nd-generation replacement for mass light interceptor Condor (not a last super battleship), and if I want to replace Condors on all my intercept bases, I need at least 10 of them.

Assuming there will be at least one (or two?) more generation, producing time will grow accordingly, and I have to build not only planes - how long game duration is expected? 5 years of in-game time? 10 years?

Maybe there is an extra zero in config file?

What would you suggest?

EDIT: Looking at the manufactures.xml file, there is a significant disparity between the 1st-tier stuff and everything else. This would suggest that there's been no balance work that's been done (unsurprising). I'd suggest you take a look at the manufacture file when the update hits, make some changes and report back.

EDIT 2: To qualify my original statement (as I somehow need to). "What would you suggest?" refers to "what changes would you suggest?"

Edited by Max_Caine

The plasma torpedo launcher shouldn't have infinite ammo though should it?

Isn't that a bug along with alenium missiles?

It is just meant to be a launcher with no offensive capability until you also build the ammunition for it I believe?

Production time for aircraft may not increase much between the tiers, only the cost and the materials needed.

15 days to scratch build a super high tech fighter craft doesn't seem too bad.

If it went up to 17 days 12 hours for the next tier then I would still find it acceptable.

That would be 60 days and 70 days in a single workshop base but personally I wouldn't use a single workshop for such a large project if I had a choice.

Interceptor's plasma torpedo launcher with unlimited ammo producing 8 hours (one full workshop)

Plasma grenade (same technology tear, single use) producing 1 day 16 hours (same workshop, 5 times longer!)

Isn't something not right here?

Corsair interceptor needs 60 days to produce (Ok, 15 days in my 4-workshop main production base).

It's only a 2nd-generation replacement for mass light interceptor Condor (not a last super battleship), and if I want to replace Condors on all my intercept bases, I need at least 10 of them.

Assuming there will be at least one (or two?) more generation, producing time will grow accordingly, and I have to build not only planes - how long game duration is expected? 5 years of in-game time? 10 years?

Maybe there is an extra zero in config file?

I agree with #1, something is wrong. #2, well, 15 seems very, very, short time line to produce a brand new aircraft design. The P-51 prototype was built in 2 1/2 months, but that was with an entire aircraft company backing it AND the preliminary wing tests, model testing, blueprints and specs had already been done. Building a new modern aircraft is immensely more complicated even with computers. The first 787 took roughly seven YEARS to design and build.

Again I have to say that it's really difficult for me to make any kind of balancing decision without playing through a full game with all available equipment. Even that will not be totally helpful as tweaking one thing may well cause ripple effects throughout the rest of game, thereby, requiring another rebalancing, etc... A great deal of this is going to depend on how Chris wants the game to move along and what parts he wants to make more important. Does anyone know how long the humans have to win before total defeat? Is it possible to hold on for an extended period? Can a state of relative stalemate be achieved?

Edited by StellarRat

This comment - not a word of "reality". Just game mechanics!

To cover world, I must have at least 3 (better 5) interceptor bases with 3 light and 1 (better 2) heavy interceptors each.

And at least two bases with soldiers - or it's impossible to react on some terrors.

Balance questions are:

1) How many month I have before Aliens would fly on UFOs 2 tiers better than me ( = I lose game) ?

2) How many workshops I need to build this interceptors in period from question 1?

Add here at least 1 (better two) workshops for each soldier crew - weapon, armour, grenades.

3) How many factory-bases I need to accomodate all workshops from question 2?

4) How many $$$ I need to build and support all this bases and pay for manufacturing?

5) How many UFOs I must intercept and ground-combat to get such a sum?

6) Are there so many UFOs during aforementioned period?

7) If there are (i.e. win is not impossible at all), how many more-or-less identic battles an average gamer need to say "I'm really tired of it!" and close game forever?

For me, ~30 battles without weapon and tactics development is more than enough.

Not ~30 battles for all game, but ~30 battles between new weapons, new alien species etc.

Ok, 50 battles at highest tear

For every weapon tear, answers for questions 1-6 are just numeric values, and my (yours, someone's) opinion does not matter at all. Anyone who can look game scripts and configs, can take a calculator and get the same answers.

Only question of opinions is 7th, but it depends of first 6.

If there will be 5 battles between tiers, game is too short.

If there will be 1000 battles betwen tiers, who will play? Not me! Only a player who want no plot at all, just ground combat.

In this case what is geoscape mode for?

Good balance is somewhere in-between...

Edited by a_beorning