Build V17.9 Balance Discussion

I think the frontal UFO assault was more just so I could see what it looked like before getting killed. Previously, I'd just crept around and got killed before really making anything out :)
Murder holes, the aliens have murder holes in their ships... yeah, that's it...

Might just be the few games I have played, but I feel like there aren't many landed UFOs in the early game. I seem to remember in the other two xcoms going to landed ships/subs... not constantly but much more frequently. Now the UFOs seem to trigger all sorts of nasty effects but never land!

"Murder holes" That was the term. When I finally got into the Landing Ship and up the lift, that's what I though the solution might be. They weren't firing through the obstacles. They were firing from above as they could see over everything. But then their colleagues opened up behind the ship and right through it, ruining that idea :)

Oh, I read "going to landed ships/subs... not constantly but much more frequently" as general interceptions. BIt for craft that actually land, and turn green on the Geoscape, not too many I guess. There are plenty later on. I watch them as I cower in my bunker.

"Murder holes" That was the term. When I finally got into the Landing Ship and up the lift, that's what I though the solution might be. They weren't firing through the obstacles. They were firing from above as they could see over everything. But then their colleagues opened up behind the ship and right through it, ruining that idea :)

Oh, I read "going to landed ships/subs... not constantly but much more frequently" as general interceptions. BIt for craft that actually land, and turn green on the Geoscape, not too many I guess. There are plenty later on. I watch them as I cower in my bunker.

Cowering in the bunker didn't work too well for those guys in War of Worlds... one guy got disintegrated and the other guy got flamed... I suggest a new strategy... :)

It would be just typical if the aliens got flammerwerfers before we did :(

Anyway, I'm just lulling them into a sense of false security, while I get my corsairs built.

I find that 8 soldiers could be enough for a terror mission, but only because I'm starting to get some decent weapons (soon to be lost with the wounded after the mission unfortunately).

The alien grenade launcher continues to obliterate them from afar. Really annoying. It looks as though I'm just going to have to throw smoke grenades right from the start, before getting off the Chinook. Well maybe on the square outside the Chinook.

It would be just typical if the aliens got flammerwerfers before we did :(

Anyway, I'm just lulling them into a sense of false security, while I get my corsairs built.

I find that 8 soldiers could be enough for a terror mission, but only because I'm starting to get some decent weapons (soon to be lost with the wounded after the mission unfortunately).

The alien grenade launcher continues to obliterate them from afar. Really annoying. It looks as though I'm just going to have to throw smoke grenades right from the start, before getting off the Chinook. Well maybe on the square outside the Chinook.

I haven't played a terror mission in 17.91 yet. The hidden movement screen was so messed up last time I tried that I just gave up in the disgust. My suggestion is to try make a smoke corridor in the direction you want squad to head in. That might save you from being hit from multiple sides. I haven't tried this, but in theory it should work. I've done this in other games and it's also a RL military tactic. Since there is no wind in Xenonauts it should be much easier to accomplish.

Androns shredded my squad last time I did a terror mission. I had no luck shooting down a medium scout (they were always over water), and since they never land, I never got alien power source or any of the prereqs for wolf armour. I was fighting the buggers with ballistics and half my guys in jackal armour. Those guys don't die fast. I finished with three survivors, one of which had switched to an alien weapon.

That alien grenade launcher is a strong incentive to spread out... though it doesn't necessarily help if they get lucky with a burst. 8 soldiers is extremely borderline for a tough terror mission. I took the hunter for some early scouting... still not sure if that helped or hurt. Depending on your tech and soldier level, it can take 4-5 troops' focus to kill a single enemy in a turn.

Thothkins, are you saying UFOs actually do land later on? That would be nice. IMO they should start landing earlier. There's all kinds of reasons shooting down a UFO early on can be impossible. At least, some of the medium scouts should land. I can kinda understand not letting light scouts land early on, in order to constrict the tech tree.

I just did a terror mission against Sebillians. There were 19 of them, two or three with plasma cannons. I lost one guy as the plasma cannon shot went right through the town square monument. I mean the bugged way, not caught him in the blast. Another plasma cannon shot went right through the line of shops on the far end of the map and killed a guy in cover there.

I had a good start with 3 kills in the first turn, but the lack of numbers means that you can only spread so far, and still provide covering fire. Another 1-2 soldiers would have helped a lot.

I lost a soldier to a Reaper, but having killed all the Sebillians, it went straight to the end screen and I didn't get to take down the zombie Xenonaut. It's slightly possible that a local troop got him, but then there was no additional reaper as a result either.

Another point, is there a game reason to do the terror missions. For example, is there an increased likelihood of getting a particular type of alien for research?

Edited by thothkins

Well, yeah. The funding nations start to hate you if you let their cities get TacNuked. Unless you want those countries to get overrun by aliens (going against the point of the game, imo), and lose your most consistent source of funding (depending on certain factors, of course), then go ahead and skip them. But Earth's gonna be pissed you aren't defending her.

I've yet to see any signs of funding nations jumping ship, so I was thinking more along the lines of not doing a few just to keep a squad in one piece.

The thing about making the >ahem< fallout of the terror missions so high, is that early in the game your going to miss a few anyway. Simply because you can't get to them. So, if that has a huge funding impact, then it's going to be a bit of a struggle at the end of the first month funding wise.

Incidentally, has anyone lost a nation yet? Is there a mission in the game yet to try and win it back?

I thought you were saying skip all of the terror missions, which didn't make sense to me. If it's too inconvenient for you, then I guess that city needs to be nuked, then, huh?

Personally, I try to get every one, simply because I don't like hearing about a city getting nuked.

I still say the first terror site should be forced to spawn within dropship range. About half the time it disappears before I can get there, with Chinook en-route. Either that, or use the abuse-able XCOM solution where it just doesn't disappear if you have something heading there.

Thothkins, I don't know about unique research opportunities, but for better or worse you certainly get access to more advanced alien tech faster if you do them. I'm sure you've noticed that unique "benefit" to going on terror missions. :P

I still say the first terror site should be forced to spawn within dropship range. About half the time it disappears before I can get there, with Chinook en-route. Either that, or use the abuse-able XCOM solution where it just doesn't disappear if you have something heading there.

Thothkins, I don't know about unique research opportunities, but for better or worse you certainly get access to more advanced alien tech faster if you do them. I'm sure you've noticed that unique "benefit" to going on terror missions. :P

The problem with the terror sites being out of range was discussed at length a few months ago, but I'm not sure any definite answers were found. The Chinook already goes way too far and way too fast, so I guess the only alternative is to let some terror sites fall and try to build enough bases to cover the major funding areas. I just don't see how that is possible right now though, given the economic system as it is.

The problem with the terror sites being out of range was discussed at length a few months ago, but I'm not sure any definite answers were found. The Chinook already goes way too far and way too fast, so I guess the only alternative is to let some terror sites fall and try to build enough bases to cover the major funding areas. I just don't see how that is possible right now though, given the economic system as it is.

Yeah, ever since the sequester hit, getting those extra bases up has been impossible. THANKS OBAMA.

More seriously, I don't see new players knowing when to build new bases. For us, missing a terror site is frustrating, but we know we'll eventually have longer range and more bases. Some new players will probably think they made a serious mistake and possibly even restart if they find themselves unable to reach the first terror site--and possibly the next. Terror sites should be something terrifying that the player can reach and be terrified trying to clear, not something irritating that causes a minor drop in funding in a region you weren't active in anyway.