Will I like this?

I never played the original Xcom games but I really like X-COM EU.

The problem with it though is I feel there is too much focus on the combat and not enough choices when it comes to the macro level of the game. Also, I don't really like how the AI acts on the battlefield at all times, making really strange choices sometimes.

Personally I like the graphics I have seen so far in Xenonauts (starting your gaming experience with Nintendo 8-bits kinda does that).

So all in all I'm looking for a little deeper experience than X-COM EU, will I get it with Xenonauts?

EDIT: Also, I never heard of Desura before. I have quite a lot of games on Steam, any reason I shouldn't get the Steam key?

Edited by Isbiten
Desura/Steam

Well having to many programs clutter your cpu so you may want to stick with steam

As for desura logging on every time yuo turn on your cpu is rather annoying and i find the main page of desura visually unapealing hope I helped

If you want a general idea of how the game will play, look at the Kickstarter Page, and you will see links to the demo of the alpha.

It's quite old now as it was version 11, we're now coming up on version 18 (and there have been a large number of changes and improvements), but most of the basic mechanics are still there.

Just bear in mind there's been about 9 months of development from that KS demo build.

Will I like this?

Judging by what you said it seems like you will though one can never be sure of course. Overall Xenonauts has larger scale and a more elaborate strategy layer but less rpg elements (which doesn't mean tactical combat itself isn't deep) compared to the new XCOM.

Just wait for release if you're not sure. Max Cain's LP suggestions are also good.

You'll be getting a much much deeper experience on the geoscape/base/strategic layer.

On the tactical you'll be getting a bit deeper experience, but also a less streamlined more "old school" one. If you haven't played the original XCOM, Jagged Alliance, etc it's hard to predict how you'll like it. Check out a LP for the tactical side.