7th March Development Update

Давно слежу за разработкой игры, хоть и не являюсь обладателем преордера.

Спасибо за то, что продолжаете развивать свой проект.

Tnx!

---

и странно, что на форуме нет русскоязычных фанатов - в России очень хорошо знают UFO 1 (EU), а ваш проект Xenonauts очень и очень похож на, так сказать, своего предшественника.

ps: интересно, как переводчик переведёт то, что я здесь написал?! :D

I'm not sure where all the Xenonaut fans are located. I'd have thought there would already be a good spread across a number of countries.

The way I've been putting on weight in my old age, I think a significant part of the spread in this country must be mine ....... or is that just my senile dementia talking? :(

It does go to show what a monumental accomplishment XCOM was back in the day -the amount of coding it takes to recreate it.:)

Exactly. the more times I replay the original I cant help thinking how great a game (Julian was it not)would have made with todays tech advances. Cheers Pete

It does go to show what a monumental accomplishment XCOM was back in the day -the amount of coding it takes to recreate it.:)
I wouldn't go that far. I agree that XCom was a seminal point in the history of computer games, but the monumental accomplishment was concept, game system, and plot. (Although, you can certainly see that a lot was "borrowed" from the TV show UFO and other writings, etc...) To compare the amount of coding isn't really valid, IMO. One has to remember that in those days three or four hard working developers could easily fill up the entire memory of PC with code and art in short order. Cramming the art work (maps, etc...) and code onto to a couple of floppy disks was probably the bigger challenge. To put it in perspective, a single high resolution image from a modern digital camera would take more space than all of the original XCom programming and art work. Xenonauts has gone FAR beyond what XCom could ever have been in the day, if for no other reason than the storage space available.

IMO one of the most impressive things about the first XCOM is actually the graphics. It blows other games made in the early 90's away. Heck, it makes some games from the late 90's look like crap. It's dated, now, particularly with higher-resolution monitors, but still.

I have all hopes in OpenXCOM. Those guys really develop the game further. I wish they could code a sort of revolutionary scaler that renders original XCOM pixels in double-size with a new pixel-accurate gradient-scaler routine, refining detail.

I wonder what the awesome OpenXCOM coder Team could do in Unity 3D when they could get 3D artists and animators + particle FX people.

I wish they could code a sort of revolutionary scaler that renders original XCOM pixels in double-size with a new pixel-accurate gradient-scaler routine, refining detail.

It would indeed have to be revolutionary since available scaling filters always look like garbage.